Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats in Your Toolbox? Required Tools for 997 Owners.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 11:04 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Whats in Your Toolbox? Required Tools for 997 Owners.

I went from a newb who didn’t know what a torque wrench was 2 yrs ago to ripping my car apart a couple times. I’ve built my collection of tools through a mix of blurry foresight and 20/20 hindsight.

Would be great to build a list of recommended tools for 997 owners so I nterested to hear what tools everybody has in their garage for their 997, any favorites, and anything on your wishlist.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:27 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Off the top of my head:

3/4” breaker bar
3/4” torque wrench
cut down 19mm and 21mm deep sockets (for strut top nuts) - photos are in just about any DIY suspension thread
gland nut wrench (
Amazon Amazon
)
VAG spec electrical clip tool - though I haven’t used it much, there are some clips that are the same as VAG cars (https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Audi_...obal_01182016/)
plastic lined sockets (for wheel bolts)
lug bolt guide tool/wheel hanger tool
plastic trim removal tools
several different sizes of ball joint removal tools
Durametric professional
torx drivers and sockets
e-torx sockets

Naturally, one must have a selection of high quality wrenches, ratchets and sockets, plus extensions. I have several sets of wrenches - the usual, flex head rateching, and stubby. Most of my stuff is Canadian Tire Maximum professional grade stuff, but my 3/8 ratchet is a Snap On. I don’t wrench enough to justify everything Snap On. I’ve been messing around with my cars for years, so gave accumulated tools over that time. Now I buy tools that ‘have a little bit extra’ or have something special about them, like, say, ball ends hex sockets.

Interestingly, haven’t come across any triple square fasteners yet, but I believe there were some in my old 955 Cayenne, probably a function of its close relation to the Touareg.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:09 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

You've seen my garage. Where should I start my list?!?!?!
Old 03-11-2019, 04:31 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 289 Likes on 172 Posts

A lift.

I had to use a triple square in my old Cayman. Can't remember for what.

Breaker bars. All sorts.
Swivel head ratchet.
I like my torx and Allen sockets
power bleeder
electric impact gun (heavy duty)
i have a durametric pro but am too lazy and live with service reminders
rubber mallet

The following users liked this post:
campbesl (04-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2019, 05:11 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Duck tape, dead blow hammer, JB weld, zip ties, vise griip and other assorted pliers/dikes, small impact, pry bar, flexible shaft nut driver, lots of 1/4" drive stuff, torque wrench, assorted box/open end wrenches and screwdrivers, fix a flat, tire plugs/tool, super glue, AAA
Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

All the normal stuff, plus:
  • Ball end metric Allen bits and sockets of different lengths
  • Sets of wobble extensions for the ratchets (1/4", 3/8", 1/2")
  • Manual Impact Hammer (the one you hut with a hammer)
  • Pass through socket set - great for clutch master cylinder bleeding and strut nut removal, as it let's you hold the top of the strut through the ratchet set while loosening the nut
  • Motive bleeder
  • Digital snap on torque wrenches that do both torque and angle, especially if you ever plan to rebuild a 997 motor
  • A lift is very helpful - if 4 post, one with bridge jacks
  • Set of spring compressors
  • Big compressor
  • Airlift kit for coolant system filling
  • Smoke test machine
  • Just added a clutch alignment tool and RMS installation tool this past year
  • Durametric Pro
  • Cooling system pressure tester
  • Cam lock tools
  • Propane torch
  • Propane soldering iron
  • Weatherproof crimp connectors, heat shrink tubing, and a heat gun
  • Wheel guide pins (2) for easier wheel removal and reinstallation. 2 is better then 1 and a must if you have PCCBs
  • Amazon prime and Rennlist subscriptions
I'll probably think of more stuff too.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:43 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

To start:
Sears torx set: Link
1/4, 1/2 and 3/4" socket sets
Torque wrench
Protected lug screw remover
Low profile jack
Wheel hangers
Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Are those of you listing 3/4" socket and ratchet sets (Saabateur & Kellen) really using 3/4" or are they 1/2". The common sizes are 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I know they make 3/4" sets for working on tractor trailer trucks and big, heavy duty stuff, but aside from the center lock wheel nut on a 997, don't know for what else you'd need 3/4" sized tools.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's a job you've done previously you probably already have what you need, or at least know what you wish you'd had the last time. If it's a new job then you're probably going to be looking at DIY blogs and videos, or at least a shop manual, so you have a chance to get whatever you'll need if you don't have it, while waiting for the parts to arrive. I really don't have any desire to drop a load of cash on things I'm only going to use once, so the tool rental place is my friend. As is the hourly service bay rental place, as I don't have space for a lift in my garage. Otherwise I've got pretty much a decent set of tools amassed over the years. My Snapons I bought in '73, and my Craftsman beam-style torque wrench dates to the late 60s...still dead-on accurate which is more than I can say for the click-type wrenches that need periodic calibration. In fact I've calibrated those to my beam-style. I know a few guys with multiple multi-drawer toolboxes in their garages, most of which they have never and will never use.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:22 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Are those of you listing 3/4" socket and ratchet sets (Saabateur & Kellen) really using 3/4" or are they 1/2". The common sizes are 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I know they make 3/4" sets for working on tractor trailer trucks and big, heavy duty stuff, but aside from the center lock wheel nut on a 997, don't know for what else you'd need 3/4" sized tools.
I just bought a 3/4 inch torque wrench to use on my axle nut to replace my cv boot, which needs 340 lb ft.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:31 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just getting into the 911 game, but so far it's Torx, eTorx, sensor sockets/crows foot wrenches, and allen key sockets. Plus your standard (metric) wrenches and sockets and torque wrenches and multimeters and such.

Now if you wanna get NICE? One of the best tools I ever purchased was a little electric ratchet. I freaking LOVE this thing. Makes undoing hose clamps and bolts a snap, and because it doesn't have enough torque (40-50ft-lbs IIRC) to snap anything, you can use it to re-install bolts too. It saves you from spending all that time hand-tightening and then ratcheting and... Just buzz the bolt in and grab your torque wrench for final adjustments. Heck, the little flashlight on it is awesome too - no need to grab another light source if you've got it in your hand. Just tap it quick and you've got about 10 seconds of light without getting out from under the car. If you do big work (removing exhaust, for an example), a cordless impact gun is a useful tool too. I HAVE snapped bolts with that thing so I don't use it to reinstall anything.

You can use any old jack if you've got some 2x4s laying around - just park with a pair of 2x4s under each tire. Presto, a 7" minimum height jack can now slip under the car. If you care about your underbelly, a set of hockey pucks or jack stand protectors are a nice addition to the garage. Your local Harbor Freight or Wal-Mart probably has a set of plastic interior trim tools. Costs like two bucks and will save your parts from unsightly scratches.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:11 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
You've seen my garage. Where should I start my list?!?!?!
Ha! Yea, you would need a list just to organize your list :-)
Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Now if you wanna get NICE? One of the best tools I ever purchased was a little electric ratchet. I freaking LOVE this thing.
@TeeJayHoward yea ive been looking at buying one of those. I bought a 3/8 electric impact wrench and in hindsight i think i should have bought a 1/2 impact and then a 3/8 electric ratchet like that. What i found with the 3/8 impact is its too big for a lot of jobs and not big enough for lug nuts.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:09 AM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Cell Phone
AAA membership

Old 03-12-2019, 01:12 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F308gt4
Cell Phone
AAA membership

Ha! In my case, its "call Pete and Wayne".

Quick Reply: Whats in Your Toolbox? Required Tools for 997 Owners.