Sponsored by:

How "Good" is a upgraded 997.1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 03:55 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
I find myself drawn to an upgraded 997.1, either with a rebuilt 4.0 or something has had some suspension work done. I drove a stock 997.1 a few years back and wasn't super impressed, We ended up getting a 991 with sport suspension, as it was so much more connected to the road. The 997.1 with PASM felt a bit bouncy and obsolete; it was a 55,000 mile car, sure, but I wasn't impressed enough to dump my M3 at the time for it. I liked the engine though. These seem like plenty of car for $35-45,000.
With prices down, I wonder if it would be a good time to revisit the 997.1 idea. There are a few 4.0 cars floating around, and it wouldn't be that hard to find one with some upgraded suspension components (like coilovers, sway bars, control arms). I really want to get back into a "connected car", something with GT level suspension (I can't really afford a GT3), which is something that most Carreras I have driven over the years lack (the 991 with the sport option being an exception). I want to do some driving events, some autocross, and really learn how to drive the car. I don't need 500hp to do that, but I do want something with great feedback.
Note; a Cayman S or R (2009-2012) is also an option. It MUST be a manual.
I love the smaller size of the 997, but after having driven the 991 (and, more recently a 2015 GT3 at an autocross), I want something that "feels" like this. Like a real sportscar, where every bump in the road is giving feedback.
Can this be accomplished in the 997 platform, while still being reasonable around town? The GT3 was not too stiff; it was goldilocks.
Prices down?? Bouncy obsolete suspension?? Prices have never been higher and 997 suspension is tight.
Sounds like you were driving a Yugo

Here's some advice: Source a well taken care of example and drive it before giving ridiculous/nonsensical feedback.

Last edited by groovzilla; 03-05-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: How "Good" is a upgraded 997.1?