Sponsored by:

AGA Transmission Mount Tool For Rent

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Default AGA Transmission Mount Tool For Rent

Anybody who is interested in renting this tool, please PM me.

If you are thinking about doing this job, stop thinking and just do it. It's very easy, the mount only costs ~$60-70 and makes a huge difference in the driving of the car. Idle quality, shift quality, and overall road vibration. The newest of the 996s is now 12-13 years old; a rubber bushing holding up ~1/3 of the weight of the engine/transmission assembly and all the driveline loads associated cannot be expected to last that long. If yours has never been changed, you WILL feel a remarkable difference by replacing it, comparable to new motor mounts.

Using this tool you can replace it with nothing other than basic hand tools, rather than having to remove the transmission from the car and use a shop press.

Tips for making it easier:

1) A lift would help, but I did the job just fine on ordinary jackstands. With a lift it would just be easier to get leverage on things and see clearly whether everything is nicely lined up.

2) A long-handled 13mm ratcheting wrench. Actually two would be swell, since you need to tighten 2 bolts evenly, so if you have two wrenches you don't have to switch back and forth. Again, I did this with one ~6" 13mm ratcheting wrench, it's not that hard, it just takes longer.

3) The special AGA mount with the machined edge is not necessary. Just buy a Lemforder mount from wherever you can get it the cheapest; it already has a slight chamfer on the ends of it that help it get started in the hole.

4) At least on my car, the mount went in better coming from the passenger side, not the driver's side as the instructions suggest. On my car, the passenger side had a slight chamfer on the casting that helped align the mount on the way in, while the driver's side had a machined recess that the AGA tool fit into properly. Going the opposite direction things would have been considerably harder to line up. Your scenario may differ; perhaps not all transmission housings have exactly the same machined features.

Last edited by dkraige; 12-12-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:47 PM
dkraige
Pro

Just a reminder I have this tool available for rent for anybody who'd like to change their aging transmission mount. Lots of folks over at the 996 forum have successfully done this job. Good wintertime task! Just send me an email at my username at gmail dot com if interested, or a PM or reply to this post will work too.

Happy motoring!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 PM
dkraige
Pro

Bumping this back up. I've contacted all the people who have gotten in touch with me recently, and either successfully rented them the tool, or gotten no response. Anybody interested, please feel free to contact me! The wait time should be very short as of now

For more information:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-for-rent.html
Old 05-10-2018, 12:52 PM
dkraige
Pro

Update:

Evidently some 997.2 cars may have a slightly different mount configuration that will not work with this tool. Check your mount and if it does not look like the one in the video above, the tool may not work because the mounting bolts are M8 rather than M10, so the tension rods provided with the AGA tool will not fit through the holes in the mount.

If your car uses Torx bolts rather than hex bolts, this seems to be a good indicator that the tool may not work (see small external Torx bolt in 2nd photo below).

Old 05-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of doing this on my 997.2 for 'fun' when I have some free time.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:16 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Thanks dkraige, hopefully nobody had to go through what happened to me working on my 997.2.
Guys/gals AGA never updated their website alerting 997.2 owners that this tool wouldn't work. Ask me how I found out halfway into the job.....after putting the car on jack-stands, working on my back, removing the under cover, removed the transmission brackets, supporting the transmission on jack stands, then proceeding to remove the old transmission mount........????WTF???? Amazingly the 997.2 came out in 2009, almost 10 years and not a whimper from AGA that this tool applies to 997, but NOT ON 997.2
Old 01-20-2019, 05:43 PM
jkingery
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
Just a reminder I have this tool available for rent for anybody who'd like to change their aging transmission mount. Lots of folks over at the 996 forum have successfully done this job. Good wintertime task! Just send me an email at my username at gmail dot com if interested, or a PM or reply to this post will work too.

Happy motoring!
Hi Dave. I very much am intersted in renting your tool. I have an '06 Carrera 997 with 80k miles, original mount...
Old 03-05-2019, 02:54 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume my transmission mount is bad.
I replaced the engine mounts last night and my clonk (when engaging clutch fast) went better but it still creates a mean noise in the cabin.
Not as a slight vibration as mentioned in the video, mine is very obvious!

Can I just order the part 98737502305 as seen in the video and replace the bracket with mount on my 2005 997.1?

If that works, it seems to be way less hassle than shipping a tool around and press fitting the mount?

Cheers
Tobi
Old 03-05-2019, 03:28 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by Zettinger

Can I just order the part 98737502305 as seen in the video and replace the bracket with mount on my 2005 997.1?

If that works, it seems to be way less hassle than shipping a tool around and press fitting the mount?

Cheers
Tobi
No. The mount is pressed into the transmission housing. To replace it, it has to be pressed out, and a new one pressed in. Unless you're replacing the whole transmission, in which case it would be a bolt-in operation and not require a press

FYI it seems some of the 997s have a slightly different mount which uses smaller bolts, and this tool may not work since the tension rods won't fit through the bolt holes. So check yours before ordering anything!
Old 03-05-2019, 03:31 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by Zettinger

Cheers
Tobi
BTW that part is for a Boxster, not a 911. 987 = Boxster.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info. So there is no way around for me than to press fit the mount.

Would I rent the AGA tool through you? Can I order the mount as well through you?

I hope this will fix my clunk. My average MPG already went up to over 20 due to not spirited driving!!!
Old 03-05-2019, 03:58 PM
dkraige
Pro

I'll PM you details.

Quick Reply: AGA Transmission Mount Tool For Rent