Sponsored by:

Roll over hoops - down please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 PM
torakki
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Roll over hoops - down please!

Just got a copart crumpled front ,car, 997.2 cab. The roll hoops are up and can't figure out how to make them go back. I've heard different stories and to refer the the owners manual, which we don't have. This is the third forum I've gone to to try and find the answer. I took out the back panel out to expose the hoops, and there is an allen wrench mounted between the hoops but i can't see anyplace it would go. Anyone have an idea? Thanks, Bob
Old 02-25-2019, 10:14 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,324 Likes on 1,277 Posts

This is interesting. I don't know what the answer is, but it seems to me that these are charged like an airbag, with instantaneous one time deployment . I'd be surprised if they can just be pushed back in like a dart into a dart gun.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:10 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 449 Likes on 163 Posts

I cant help you on that one, but we certainly need more phots on this project. Sounds fun.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

The hoops are for rollover protection in an accident. They're a Pyro device, like the airbags and seat belt pretensioners, and I would guess need to be replaced after an accident (or once deployed) and are not just resettable. I don't know this for a fact though as I don't have a cab.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:30 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought I remembered reading that they could be cranked down. I'll do some research.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:04 AM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

That wrench looks long. Must be for a reason. Is there a hole on the top of the mechanism where that can be threaded into?
Old 02-26-2019, 11:10 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

They are spring loaded. I don't have my 997 any more but I am pretty sure there are instructions in the manual.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ejabour
That wrench looks long. Must be for a reason. Is there a hole on the top of the mechanism where that can be threaded into?
That long wrench is used to manually crank the top up or down if the electrics or hydraulics fail and does not have anything to do with the Rollover Hoops. For example, the top is down and you get caught in a rain storm, but the automatic close doesn't work for some reason and you don't want all the electrics and leather of the car ruined by getting soaked.

It's use is explained in this linked article - https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart..._Mechanism.htm
Old 02-26-2019, 12:13 PM
Terp20854
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by torakki
Just got a copart crumpled front ,car, 997.2 cab. The roll hoops are up and can't figure out how to make them go back. I've heard different stories and to refer the the owners manual, which we don't have. This is the third forum I've gone to to try and find the answer. I took out the back panel out to expose the hoops, and there is an allen wrench mounted between the hoops but i can't see anyplace it would go. Anyone have an idea? Thanks, Bob
Not from a 997 but I had the roll over protection deployed in a BMW 330 I once had. Deployment was spring loaded and they'd lock in place, there was a button at the bottom of the rollover loops - you'd press the button to release the locking mechanism and then you could just push them back in.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:45 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Well I'm breaking my own rule here (if you don't know for sure shut up) but I'm guessing that on the top of the unit nearer the right side there is a bar sticking out with serrations, to the right of that it looks like there is a little lever and a mechanism to keep the hoop up? My guess is push the lever to the side and you may be able to push the hoop down into the housing again.
On the 996 generation it looks like you need a screwdriver to release a bar inside the mechanism so if the above does not work investigate the openings in the mechanism for this approach..
Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM
torakki
Advanced

Tj40 may have something. I think you're talking about a little black lever looking thing. I pushed on it a little but didn't want to force it. I'll try again. But yes, the place I bought a lot of the parts (fender, dash, radiator, etc...), I asked the guy that does the dismantling and he said there's a hole you put a screwdriver in to push something, and you push the hoop down (with some pressure) half way. Release the screwdriver and it pushes down the rest of the way. He added, that it's for a 996 and not sure if a 997 is the same. I know the seat belts have the charge and there are places to send them for repair but I can't find a place that repairs the roll bars. That makes me think, they crank down. I'll experiment more today but I appreciate all the input. Seems like not much info out there on repairing these cars. At least the stuff, I'm repairing. I couldn't find anything on a 997 dash removal, just 996. But, the guy I bought parts from told me about all the screws that hold it in and I got it.
Someone mentioned pix of the project so if there's more interest, maybe I can start a thread of a "Copart 997 Build".
Thanks, Bob

Copart Photo

It's home

Dismantling begins
Old 02-26-2019, 04:26 PM
torakki
Advanced

Tj40 was right. The little bar can be pushed to the right and then push down hard on the hoop till it's about 2/3 all the way down. Then you can release the bar and a final push to lock it on the bottom. For two people, it would be very easy. I did it by myself and held the little bar with one hand and push down with the other. Hopefully, this will help people in the future since there's so little on it.
Thanks for all the suggestions....

little bar circled in red

finally
Old 02-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Per porsche’s website and a few other places, the roll bars are spring loaded and deployed when sensors detect a significant change in attitude. How the springs are actuated (pyrotechic or mechanical lever) is another question. Further the ECU may have to also be reset if the sensor is controlled by it, otherwise, it may be back to a mechanical actuator/trigger question. It should be easy enough to simply make few phone calls to a dealer, indy or even body shop and ask a few leading questions. Of course a dealer might say only we can reset them but they should share with you whether or not the ECU is involved and the manner in which they are actuated. Best of luck.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by torakki
Tj40 was right. The little bar can be pushed to the right and then push down hard on the hoop till it's about 2/3 all the way down. Then you can release the bar and a final push to lock it on the bottom. For two people, it would be very easy. I did it by myself and held the little bar with one hand and push down with the other. Hopefully, this will help people in the future since there's so little on it.
Thanks for all the suggestions....

little bar circled in red

finally
Wow, that's great and I learned something new today about cabs. Please do start a build thread as it looks like you have a good bit of work ahead of you and I'm sure we'll all learn a good bit from your trials, tribulations, successes, etc and can join in the joy when you finally get it put back together and take your first drive. Maybe post the link to that new thread here in case we miss it.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:36 PM
groovy dude
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed! Post a build thread!

Quick Reply: Roll over hoops - down please!