Trailer Hitch Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 06:17 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch Installed

SportTows tow hitch
Now I need to get the wiring done. Any BTDT for LED taillights?
Mainly just need to figure out which wires to tap into and the best place to do so.
thanks
Old 02-23-2019, 06:39 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Old 02-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Nice. I’ve been wanting to do this on my car for a bike rack. Not sure why I haven’t.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,166 Likes on 3,930 Posts

What are you planning on pulling? A little accessory trailer, jet-ski, sailboat? Easiest place to find the right wires is probably in the taillight pigtails that go to the lights. With the 997.2 using lead rear taillights, I'm not sure is the wiring used was the same gauge as the 997.1 that used incandescent bulbs. I bring this up because if your trailer isn't also LED light based and Porsche used thinner gauge wiring because of the OEM LED lighting in the .2 you may overload either the fuse and/or the wiring when drawing the extra current for the trailer lights through those circuits. If the trailer uses LEDs, then probably not an issue as they draw so little current.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:13 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
What are you planning on pulling? A little accessory trailer, jet-ski, sailboat? Easiest place to find the right wires is probably in the taillight pigtails that go to the lights. With the 997.2 using lead rear taillights, I'm not sure is the wiring used was the same gauge as the 997.1 that used incandescent bulbs. I bring this up because if your trailer isn't also LED light based and Porsche used thinner gauge wiring because of the OEM LED lighting in the .2 you may overload either the fuse and/or the wiring when drawing the extra current for the trailer lights through those circuits. If the trailer uses LEDs, then probably not an issue as they draw so little current.
Thanks Petza, good advice. I got an adapter that says it is compatible with both types of lights and has overload protections built in.
I will be pulling a small trailer to get my race wheels and tires to the track. I do not think the lights are LED’s now, but that would be an easy conversion.
Here is the lighting adapter I bought: https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...ion_Kit,119180
I just need to figure out which wires to tap into with minimal invasion of the harness. I think the pigtail will be the place to go for the lights and it sounds like there is a place to get constant 12V on the right side of the engine compartment. I should also be able to keep the “box” behind one of the taillights.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:11 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Nice job. you can get 12V from the harness that leads behind the bumper cover to the license plate lights. Getting the accessory wire (brake light) from the taillight to your trailer light connector I suspect will be the harder part. If memory serves you'll have to trace back through the same grommet as the taillight leads and that grommet is relatively far from the license plate. It's been done before for sure and not impossible. Would love a report back when you figure it out!
Old 02-25-2019, 05:08 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

I had this WillWood hitch on my Boxster... worked fabulously and extremely versatile in that you could put a bike rack or trailer.....

Peace
Bruce in Philly

https://www.flickr.com/photos/willwoodsystem

http://www.willwoodsystem.com

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-25-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:54 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Excellent idea. It would look even better if you would pull a bass boat.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:35 PM
qwertyqwerty
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an external power trailer harness. Now I just need to figure out whee to get the 12V and what are the correct light brake and turn wires to tap. Where are the best spots to tap into these?
I saw someone above say that they got 12V from the license plate lights. Does that circuit have enough amperage to power the full trailer light set?
Thanks,

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch Installed