Sponsored by:

997.1 4s or 997.2 carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:37 PM
bangsters
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Even if my car was AWD and I lived someplace that got decent accumulations of snow I wouldn't drive it with snow or ice on the ground very often if ever. Not about the capability or about my confidence in driving it. More about not having someone in an SUV slide into my 911. You can be as careful as you like but there are other folks on the road too, and I'd rather have that happen to a car I care about less than the 911.
Very valid point. I actually spun im my RR Evoque a few days back when we got hit by snow. Awd and even in snow mode didn't do anything for me. Luckily i didnt hit the center isle or other cars.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:40 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

I had the choice of 997.1 4s vs 997.2 4s (with a $10k USD price different) and went with the 997.1. Very happy that I did. One of the main reasons being that I converted my car to RWD, that cant be done with the 997.2 4s. You have to get the GTS/GT3RS/GT2 if you want widebody and RWD on the 997.2.

For me, the widebody is a must. If that doesnt matter then your choice is easier. But as others have pointed out, I wouldnt want the base model either. So 4s would be my choice.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:47 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Keep in mind that the 997.1 4WD system is not the later more sophisticated AWD system. It's merely a viscous clutch system--like the VW Vanagon Synchro. By the time the 997.2 cars came out the 4WD system became much more intelligent. 4WD is a silly option for those of us in most situations. It adds weight, and is going to change the handling of the 911.\\
Can you explain a bit more on this. I wasn't aware the 4wd systems changed between .1 and .2.

And can anyone explain the handling differences between an S and 4S?

Old 02-24-2019, 07:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Honestly the wide body doesn't matter - it's 1" or so on each side and the 997 is plenty curvy enough (unlike the 996) that it would be the last criteria on my list compared to colors, options, maintenance history, condition, etc. With the 911 being a rear engined car and most of the weight over the drive wheels, you really don't need AWD unless you'll be driving in snow and the front steering feel and feedback that 911s (prior to the 991) were famous for gets partially muted by the AWD system. The 997.2 base car has about the same power as a 997.1 S car so factor that into your decision as well. Not knowing your specific use case, my advice is a 997.2 S - I say the S so you can get the PASM suspension and then add TPC's DSC controller to make the suspension fully active and then you've got a winning combination.

Here are my 2 narrow body C2S cars that are plenty wide in the rear.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:12 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

I would go with the 997.2 C2 to get the DFI, LEDs and updated PCM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:33 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts
Default AWD is Good

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Keep in mind that the 997.1 4WD system is not the later more sophisticated AWD system. It's merely a viscous clutch system--like the VW Vanagon Synchro. By the time the 997.2 cars came out the 4WD system became much more intelligent. 4WD is a silly option for those of us in most situations. It adds weight, and is going to change the handling of the 911.\\
Perhaps where you live but much more north of you where the climate is much more unpredictable I have been in a few situations where the AWD really came in handy. I don't drive my car in the winter but fall time with wet leaves and rain the AWD is great. Besides my wife takes it out a couple of times a year and I feel more reassured when she does that she has the AWD and the rear in a rare situation not will not step out on her. As for weight etc. I am not tracking the car just pure driving enjoyment ...if I want to go fast for an adrelline ride I opt for my sport bike no comparison to sitting in a seat.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:22 AM
rap
Racer

So far I’m not overly impressed with the 4s in snow. Have snow tires. Granted I haven’t driven in a lot of snow conditions this year but it moves on areas on the same road that I’ve driven with other cars that didn’t. I’m not yet used to keeping my foot on the throttle when this happens so I suspect this might be part of the problem. Over 45 years of driving muscle memory is hard to overcome! On the ice this car is scarier than any car I’ve driven.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:29 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I was in your same boat a year ago. I wanted the 4s because I was debating a job transfer to Massachusetts. Glad I stayed in warm Texas. I eventually went with a base 997.2. I am glad I did. I love the 2 wheel drive version. It just feels more raw. I also had to have the updated PCM and wanted to keep it stock. It is still a little outdated, but very usable still. Although engine failures are rare in the .1 I would never hear the end of it from my wife. I am glad I have the .2 for sure and I was lucky enough to find it at .1 prices. I am not much of an options guy, but this one has all I wanted. Biggest option I had to have is power seats.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:02 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought my first Porsche 14 months ago, an '09 997.2 with 35k miles. I wanted a simple base car with the 9A1 engine and not much else so I could learn, and I found it. 6MT, upgraded wheels, universal audio interface and that's it. For what I wanted to spend I got the right car.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:08 PM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

When I was shopping for my 911, I tested as many different models as I could find available. For me personally, I had to have a stick shift and I found myself preferring the .1 motor to the DFI motors. Each had their charms, but I got that silly Porsche grin that wouldn’t go away when driving a M97. The feel and sound really did it for me. The 9A1 left me a little numb. Still a great car though, just comparing green apples to greener apples.

Test both. The answer to your question is both are correct answers. Both are a risk, as any motor can fail or need lots of maintenance. Yes, the M97 is a bigger risk. Get what makes you happy. Porsche ownership isn’t a logical thing, it is emotional and should make you happy.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:21 PM
bangsters
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vethen
When I was shopping for my 911, I tested as many different models as I could find available. For me personally, I had to have a stick shift and I found myself preferring the .1 motor to the DFI motors. Each had their charms, but I got that silly Porsche grin that wouldn’t go away when driving a M97. The feel and sound really did it for me. The 9A1 left me a little numb. Still a great car though, just comparing green apples to greener apples.

Test both. The answer to your question is both are correct answers. Both are a risk, as any motor can fail or need lots of maintenance. Yes, the M97 is a bigger risk. Get what makes you happy. Porsche ownership isn’t a logical thing, it is emotional and should make you happy.
How different are the M97 and DFI engines?
Old 02-24-2019, 01:57 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bangsters
How different are the M97 and DFI engines?
There is enough evidence to show that engine problems can occur with both M97 and 9A1 engines. There are not enough high mileage 9A1 models to say the problem will be as bad as it is with M97 engines. In either case, the risk is not high, but the repair costs can be from 40% to 80% of the value of the car and you won't recover that cost. As has been stated, a Porsche is an emotional choice, not a logical one. If I were looking, this car would probably provide the most peace of mind: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...0l-engine.html.

As for performance, the 9A1 feels stronger than the M97, especially mid-range. But, the engine isn't the only difference. There were a good number of other upgrades made to the 997.2 models.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:19 PM
bangsters
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
Honestly the wide body doesn't matter - it's 1" or so on each side and the 997 is plenty curvy enough (unlike the 996) that it would be the last criteria on my list compared to colors, options, maintenance history, condition, etc. With the 911 being a rear engined car and most of the weight over the drive wheels, you really don't need AWD unless you'll be driving in snow and the front steering feel and feedback that 911s (prior to the 991) were famous for gets partially muted by the AWD system. The 997.2 base car has about the same power as a 997.1 S car so factor that into your decision as well. Not knowing your specific use case, my advice is a 997.2 S - I say the S so you can get the PASM suspension and then add TPC's DSC controller to make the suspension fully active and then you've got a winning combination.

Here are my 2 narrow body C2S cars that are plenty wide in the rear.

nice cars indeed. Your wife's car, is that white or a shade of very suttle pink?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:48 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OP, get a 997.2 S manual. As you can see from some of the pics not a major difference rear end between 4s. .Dropping the AWD will be more pure 911 and also cheaper third party warranty. .For snow duties get a cheap Subaru.. will also help haul dogs, furniture etc. We don't want more Nick Murray's on you tube.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:52 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by bangsters
nice cars indeed. Your wife's car, is that white or a shade of very suttle pink?
Thank you. We custom painted it in a pink pearl color. Looks different in different lighting, but really pretty and she loves it.

Liked the pearl effect on that one so much we chose a white pearl when doing the Cayenne project.

Both cars were black on black originally, as that's the best combination to start with when doing a color change so the engine compartments and other small areas either look dark and don't stand out as a 3rd color or so small areas that border the interior that can't be painted blend with the black interior color.

X

Quick Reply: 997.1 4s or 997.2 carrera