Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage (75k+) 997.2s: What have you replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 03:52 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 308 Posts
Default High mileage (75k+) 997.2s: What have you replaced?

Trying to understand what you've replaced at 75k mi or above.

Love my car to death and plan on keeping my car for at least 3 more years, but moving to a place where wrenching on my own will likely not be possible. As it's in the 80k mi range right now I'd like to use this information to guide which aftermarket warranty coverage I choose.

So far common themes I'm seeing from research - and rough dealer costs (please verify if not correct):

HPFP (just replaced mine)
plugs (just did mine)
Water Pump/belts ( ~ $1200)
Window Regulators? ($500)
T-Stat/housing/gaskets ($400 part of water pump labor?)
Coolant reservoir (replaced mine)
Engine mounts (replaced mine)
Alternator? ($1400 part + labor)
Alternator harness? ($100 part & labor intensive)
coils ($60 ea + labor?)
PCM ($$?)
Ignition Switch ($130 part + labor)
Starter ($550 + labor)

If my off the cuff analysis is right, potential items remaining are in the very rough $5k range or more.

Thoughts?

Last edited by hexagone; 02-21-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Am at about 115,000 almost. Replaced one sets of plugs/coils, clutch and clutch slave (warranty), throwout bearing, pressure plate, battery (twice), water pump (twice), coolant reservoir, PCM (factory covered), thermostat (while doing second water pump), sport muffler (cracks--factory covered). Still on factory brake pads thanks to PCCBs. Runs like a raped ape.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:48 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

120K miles here. Standard maintenance only with the exception of a front axle boot damaged due to chip seal encountered in Idaho ... not the car's fault. Remains the most reliable car I've ever owned.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:45 AM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Carbon build up. Intake valve inspection/cleaning. aka walnut blast. On my 335 I did at 60k miles and i did not need to do. Car was running fine. But there was build up and when cleaned felt like the car just got a tune and pulled like a new car. I realize no one on this forum talks about this so maybe Porsche has done something to fix the carbon build up by design which is awesome..
Old 02-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by gulshan
Carbon build up. Intake valve inspection/cleaning. aka walnut blast. On my 335 I did at 60k miles and i did not need to do. Car was running fine. But there was build up and when cleaned felt like the car just got a tune and pulled like a new car. I realize no one on this forum talks about this so maybe Porsche has done something to fix the carbon build up by design which is awesome..
You did an intake valve cleaning on your 997.2? Wow, you are the first I heard doing this. What year, model, mileage and what were your symptoms that led you to do this? Any pics of the buildup?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-24-2019, 12:18 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2s 132K miles MT

I replaced stuff simply because I am neurotic or suspected an issue. The only real repairs I did that were necessities beyond regular maintenance brakes etc...

1 - Ignition Switch
2 - Gas cap
3 - Rear shocks (were leaking, I of course replaced all four because... well I did)
4 - Rear, lower control arm - saw it was ripped a bit when I did the shocks... no symptoms though
5 - Burnt side marker bulb

I replaced a bunch of stuff like motor mounts as I was chasing a tail wag... but again, being honest with myself... only the 4 items above were truly required.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-24-2019, 01:05 PM
adnan76
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Coils and one rear wheel bearing- at around 75K.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:35 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in the middle of replacing my water pump today along with the thermostat, drive belt tensioner, spark plugs and motor mounts. I also discovered that my front outer CV boot is ripped and sprayed grease everywhere. My 2009 C4S is at 70k miles.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rjaudi
I am in the middle of replacing my water pump today along with the thermostat, drive belt tensioner, spark plugs and motor mounts. I also discovered that my front outer CV boot is ripped and sprayed grease everywhere. My 2009 C4S is at 70k miles.
Honestly, what of these items are really broken and require replacement?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-24-2019, 03:51 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Honestly, what of these items are really broken and require replacement?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I replaced the drive belt at 65k miles and the design of the original belt tensioner is quite poor. When the tensioner tightened on the new belt it must have loosened the bolt it rotates on. 5k miles later I started hearing some noises from that area. The tensioner assembly was moving front to back a few mm and the bolt could be turned by hand. I say all this because this could have helped my 70k mile water pump now have a really rough sounding bearing. I believe I used one of your posts to get my new mix of Genuine Porsche and INA parts to make a new tensioner assembly. Spark plugs had 30k miles on them so I figured I would do them while the exhaust was out for the water pump. The CV boot was a fun surprise to find when I had the car up on my Quickjacks.

Quick Reply: High mileage (75k+) 997.2s: What have you replaced?