Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI inspection plus IMS and Bore Score??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:42 PM
erickgs3
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PPI inspection plus IMS and Bore Score??

I've been a member for 15 years and finally, my first post!! YAY!!!

Okay so i found a 06 - C2S cab with 41k miles that is getting a PPI today.

I talked to the mechanic about also checking on the IMS and check for bore scoring. He said those would take an additional 3.5 hours and new oil filter. Labor rate at 125 per hour.
Should i do it? 4.5 hours total and a new oil fiter. $600-650ish for an inspection or is that overboard?

Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

If you check the engine number, your car might have the updated IMS bearing. Also what procedure are they doing to scope the cylinders?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-bearing.html

Last edited by DesmoSD; 02-20-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:57 PM
erickgs3
8th Gear

He said hes going to do a compression test first, then pull the sparks and look in there with a camera.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:08 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by erickgs3
He said hes going to do a compression test first, then pull the sparks and look in there with a camera.
That might not be the best way to see it. See Charles’ post

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15095951
Old 02-20-2019, 03:17 PM
erickgs3
8th Gear

im gonna pass on both then.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:44 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I don't know about the particular car, but on mine (997.2) checking the cylinder bore is not as a simple task. After the rear wheel were dismounted, the mufflers have to come out too. Not all sellers like to put their car through such treatment. I did it once for a potential buyer and ran into a number of problems later that I had to address. Firstly, the muffler was not put together correctly and was rubbing against the other structures. Secondly, the bolt fasteners on one coil was missing. Thirdly, the wheels were mounted with the lug nuts way over-torqued. Fourthly, 2 fasteners for the under panels were missing causing a rattle. Oh yes, by the way, after the PPI, my car was declared perfect with no bore-scoring, but I sure had to resolve all the shortcomings after an inept mechanic worked on it.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 740 Likes on 423 Posts

I did a PPI a little over a year ago but because my car has only lived in San Diego and LA + is a 2006 C2S with the upgraded IMS...and all service records done by time rather than miles...I decided to skip both after researching the stats. on bore scoring for the 997.1 3.8L as well as for IMS issues on the 2006+ 3.8L

I don't want to derail the conversation but is there a statistically significant number of 997.1 cars that live in CA with bore scoring? My understanding is that this is more of a cold climate issue + a 997.2 issue.

Last, as DesmoSD said, if you check the serial number on the bottom of the engine right in from the area of the DS rear wheel, you can google the number and see how far into the upgraded IMS your car is but my understanding is that there is a way to fairly determine this from build date (i.e. my car was over 8 months into production from the changeover, so I knew...but also, I cross referenced it with the serial number for piece of mind).

Ultimately, it is up to you how you feel about the upgraded IMS but as someone who thinks about this stuff from a more statistical approach, on the updated IMS in the 3.8L M97, I just don't feel even a little stressed on the issue looking at available data rather than BaT and other internet info.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:22 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by erickgs3
im gonna pass on both then.
Which shop is doing the PPI? IPB, Frank's or Salerno? I have an 06 C2S and mine was in SoCal along with a healthy service record. The shop that did the PPI only had 1 case of bore scoring in their 15+ years of service and said it was very rare. They mentioned that they'll do their regular PPI and advise if additional requirements were needed like a compression and leakdown test and bore scoping.

So in your case, it really depends on the cars situation and if you feel it needs one. Most Porsche shops for a PPI should be able to detect if additional inspection would be needed.

http://www.ipb-autosport.com/porsche...ase-inspection

https://www.franksautosacramento.net...se-inspection/

http://www.salernomotorsports.com/The_Shop.html

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I did a PPI a little over a year ago but because my car has only lived in San Diego and LA + is a 2006 C2S with the upgraded IMS...and all service records done by time rather than miles...I decided to skip both after researching the stats. on bore scoring for the 997.1 3.8L as well as for IMS issues on the 2006+ 3.8L

I don't want to derail the conversation but is there a statistically significant number of 997.1 cars that live in CA with bore scoring? My understanding is that this is more of a cold climate issue + a 997.2 issue.

Last, as DesmoSD said, if you check the serial number on the bottom of the engine right in from the area of the DS rear wheel, you can google the number and see how far into the upgraded IMS your car is but my understanding is that there is a way to fairly determine this from build date (i.e. my car was over 8 months into production from the changeover, so I knew...but also, I cross referenced it with the serial number for piece of mind).

Ultimately, it is up to you how you feel about the upgraded IMS but as someone who thinks about this stuff from a more statistical approach, on the updated IMS in the 3.8L M97, I just don't feel even a little stressed on the issue looking at available data rather than BaT and other internet info.

+1
Old 02-20-2019, 07:14 PM
erickgs3
8th Gear

yeah, i skipped on the ims and bore scoring inspection. I wouldnt want to subject the current owners car to that after they told me all the stuff they had to do. Ben, the mechanic, told me that the ppi will be able to tell me if they see something that would lead to other stuff like a compression test, etc.

Appreciate your info and feedback.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

would an inspection of the spark plugs give any indication in that a scored bore would be fouling a plug?

Quick Reply: PPI inspection plus IMS and Bore Score??