Key / Alarm issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 AM
LoganMarriott
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key / Alarm issues

Hello
I have a tough question for any advanced Rennlisters who have either stripped a 997 back to minimum wiring for racing, or fixed key issues
Can anyone help with my alarm issues.
Im building a 997 Track car- using a salvage chassis and the remaining parts from a rolled and written off cabriolet. Im think the key worked to unlock to car before i pulled it apart, but cant be certain as the engine was already out so there were limit functions to activate then.

Since moving the dashboard and whole wiring loom into race chassis, I can unlock the doors (yes, its the correct key, ive moved the doors over too), and the dashboard lights up to tell me the current odometer values. However the whole time from when the battery is connected, the alarm siren is going off (currently a clamp muffles that noise to save the neighbors). I can put the key in the barrel, rotate, and then still remove it (the Barrel lock appears to electrically be live, as it releases the key).

My guess if that the key has lost its coding for the alarm system, but I've tried following these instructions, https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...working-2.html,
with all combinations of button holding, pushing the hazard light switch, foot on brake, and key in/out barrel .... without any success in recoding the key.
Its worth noting the windows dont go through the usual drop down upon lifting the door latch sequence, im assuming this is due to the alarm running.

Any suggestions.
- my options seem to be getting the local agent to reprogram the key
- are there any other steps i should try to revive the key. I do only have 1 for the wrecked chassis's system

- a final last though is am i missing some switch that needs bridging from the cabriolet circuits to tell if the roof is down/up

Regards
Logan Marriott

Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 AM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I think there are too many actual and potential variables in play to reverse engineer potential issues and would recommend that you simply have the dealer program the key (and a spare might be in order) on PIWIS. Doing so might also introduce new electrical issues related to harness etc. You may drive yourself nuts trying to figure this one out when time might be better spent building the car. Just MHO. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Key / Alarm issues