Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by gplus
Hey All
I have a 08 Carrara S and was wondering what everyone’s favorite looking wheels are? Thinking about changing...
I have these forged, custom polished 19" Champion NB wheels for sale in the marketplace that I had on my 05 C2S - perfect fitment.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:58 AM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gplus
Hey All
I have a 08 Carrara S and was wondering what everyone’s favorite looking wheels are? Thinking about changing...
Some of my favorites:

HRE R101's in Gloss Black:

HRE R101's in Gloss White:

Classic 300's in Brushed Clear

HRE P104's in Brushed Titanium

HRE P40SC's in Brushed Clear (last chance to buy these, they're being discontinued soon)

Hope that helps! If you need to see more you can check out the gallery here - https://www.hrewheels.com/gallery
The following 2 users liked this post by HRE_Jurrian:
oalvarez (07-11-2023), Robocop305 (02-09-2021)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:12 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I may be in the minority among car guys but I think the best wheels are the ones it came from the factory with. In the case of an '08 S I guess that would be 19" lobster forks? Mine's an '05 base but it came with the 19" lobsters on the sticker. I never really saw the value in aftermarket wheels unless you need a second set for track or winter tires. Factory rims for Porsches are more costly than my car is worth putting on, and the only aftermarket wheels I've seen that tempt me are the Fuchs replicas. They're like $1800 a set though, and rn my car is rolling just fine on the wheels it came with.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I may be in the minority among car guys but I think the best wheels are the ones it came from the factory with. In the case of an '08 S I guess that would be 19" lobster forks? Mine's an '05 base but it came with the 19" lobsters on the sticker. I never really saw the value in aftermarket wheels unless you need a second set for track or winter tires. Factory rims for Porsches are more costly than my car is worth putting on, and the only aftermarket wheels I've seen that tempt me are the Fuchs replicas. They're like $1800 a set though, and rn my car is rolling just fine on the wheels it came with.
High quality aftermarket forged rims that use US forgings are both stronger and lighter than Porsche OEM wheels for lower unsprung weight. It's a difference you can feel in the driving dynamics of the car. When I installed the PCCB brakes and Champion wheels on my car I removed 15-20 lbs per corner and the car's handling completely came alive. Of course if you've never driven one with this type of setup then you have nothing to compare the OEM setup to and sometimes ignorance is bliss. (or at least cheaper).

OEM Porsche wheels are good quality though. I wouldn't change them in favor of an aftermarket cast wheel where you don't save the weight or gain additional strength. If it's just for looks and your less concerned about performance, that's OK too, but not why I change mine.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Scottc714
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Definitely no disagreement from me but such a subjective topic it's hard to see this discussion ever ending. Forgeline GA1R's in "Midnight silver" finish on my current car here. Not only good looks but right around 20 lbs each for the fronts and 21 for the rears so sheds almost 10 lbs of unsprung weight on each corner.

Those look really good. Ive become a little bored with mine and think theyre a tad on the blingish side. I dipped them black over the weekend for a change but somethings still not sitting right. Maybe dulled down the overall look a little too much or maybe its just a boring spoke design . Not quite sure. . I think those Forgelines in the midnight silver might look pretty good on a white car.. Wheels and colors are very subjective . Its like getting opinions on how someone likes their steak cooked...I like mine med rare

The following users liked this post:
LloydStC (12-17-2022)
Old 02-13-2019, 05:47 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

These are my favs ..
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...velopment.html
Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's a one of a kind. Custom re-profiled and polished OEM Turbo wheel.

Last edited by PapaC4S; 02-14-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:55 PM
911Gr8tness
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottc714
Those look really good. Ive become a little bored with mine and think theyre a tad on the blingish side. I dipped them black over the weekend for a change but somethings still not sitting right. Maybe dulled down the overall look a little too much or maybe its just a boring spoke design . Not quite sure. . I think those Forgelines in the midnight silver might look pretty good on a white car.. Wheels and colors are very subjective . Its like getting opinions on how someone likes their steak cooked...I like mine med rare

A set of spacers will give it an aggressive look. I like em.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Great looking wheels! They can be the perfect color for any color car, really. Blue, green, white, black, silver: it is a very versatile color!
Yup. It's very close to the gunmetal finish that just about every wheel manufacturer offers which works with almost any color car.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914
High quality aftermarket forged rims that use US forgings are both stronger and lighter than Porsche OEM wheels for lower unsprung weight. It's a difference you can feel in the driving dynamics of the car. When I installed the PCCB brakes and Champion wheels on my car I removed 15-20 lbs per corner and the car's handling completely came alive. Of course if you've never driven one with this type of setup then you have nothing to compare the OEM setup to and sometimes ignorance is bliss. (or at least cheaper).

OEM Porsche wheels are good quality though. I wouldn't change them in favor of an aftermarket cast wheel where you don't save the weight or gain additional strength. If it's just for looks and your less concerned about performance, that's OK too, but not why I change mine.
Wow. I knew good quality forged wheels typically gets you about 10 lbs per corner over cast stock wheels but that the PCCB's were that much lighter than regular steel, I had no idea. I knew they were lighter but not to that extent.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:40 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Scottc714

I definitely like what you did with the black dipping over the old silver. Maybe try dipping the lip too for all black. Just me but I like all black wheels on white 997's.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:02 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have these forged, custom polished 19" Champion NB wheels for sale in the marketplace that I had on my 05 C2S - perfect fitment.

I saw those awhile back: thought they sold?

We all know WB wheels look better!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:04 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I definitely like what you did with the black dipping over the old silver. Maybe try dipping the lip too for all black. Just me but I like all black wheels on white 997's.
Are you selling your Forgies? They are definitely one of the best looking wheels on the market.

Damn CL though. I wish they would fit a GT4.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:54 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Are you selling your Forgies? They are definitely one of the best looking wheels on the market.

Damn CL though. I wish they would fit a GT4.
I thought of selling the Forgelines and replace them with stock, same for the GT2 buckets since the dealers are killing me with these "after market" items. Wheels....yes, after market but the best of the best imo. The GT2 seats are OEM Porsche though and retails for $11,600 on the Suncoast website. Problem with this route is that used OEM GTS CL wheels are not easy to find. Same for the seats. Plus the hassle of shipping seats and wheels all over the map is getting tiresome just thinking about it and not worth it to me.

Current plan is to keep the car as currently configured and just wait for a buyer who's mod friendly and recognizes that he/she gets close to $20,000 worth of the very best after market upgrades available thrown in for free for all intents and purposes. I'm easy to deal with, flexible and if I can't find someone who can appreciate the upgrades and the price of the car then I'll just keep it. I've had four buyers already who wanted the car in a bad way but didn't have the money to buy it. Not even after a pretty generous drop in price. No money, bad credit or both. Selling cars sucks but listening to what the dealers are offering is even worse. They want a bone stock car and if you don't have that they just just mercilessly offend you with ridiculous offers and excuses.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:42 AM
jas997
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 17 Posts

IMO its what you like are the best ! I happen to like BBS
The following users liked this post:
TJ993 (04-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Best Looking Rims?