Sponsored by:

Question on Sport Plus Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 10:48 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question on Sport Plus Mode

I test drove a 2011 911 C2 with PDK and Sport Chrono. The shop's owner told me that driving in sport plus mode required manual gear shifts. If sport plus was enabled in auto, the car would shift at red line as an override to prevent over-revving.

This is counter to my understanding, which is that the sport plus mode changes the shift points towards higher RPMs, with the primary benefit being in automatic mode. Am I mistaken? I looked in the operator's manual and didn't see a clear statement regarding the use of sport plus mode under manual or automatic shifting.

Am I wrong?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:32 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Auto/Sport will shift at higher RPM. Auto/Sport Plus it will not shift until redline. I'm guessing the reason for the shop's comment is that it's not really practical to drive in Auto/Sport Plus unless on the track. Manual/Sport Plus will allow you to decide when to shift.

Originally Posted by jazz11man1
I test drove a 2011 911 C2 with PDK and Sport Chrono. The shop's owner told me that driving in sport plus mode required manual gear shifts. If sport plus was enabled in auto, the car would shift at red line as an override to prevent over-revving.

This is counter to my understanding, which is that the sport plus mode changes the shift points towards higher RPMs, with the primary benefit being in automatic mode. Am I mistaken? I looked in the operator's manual and didn't see a clear statement regarding the use of sport plus mode under manual or automatic shifting.

Am I wrong?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:38 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Thanks. Are there advantages of using sport plus w/ manual shifts beyond the stiffer shocks and changes to PSM? I've read posts claiming that people primarily use their car with sport plus enabled, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:47 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In Spot Plus the suspension will be the same as Sport and PSM less intrusive. The advantage is that you can shift manually when you want without the computer interfering and have slightly quicker shifts than in Sport/manual, giving a little more of a manual transmission feel, though not really IMO.

If you're an auto guy, you'll be fine. If you're a manual guy, buy a manual.

Thanks. Are there advantages of using sport plus w/ manual shifts beyond the stiffer shocks and changes to PSM? I've read posts claiming that people primarily use their car with sport plus enabled, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:59 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

agree sport plus is basically a track mode
Old 02-03-2019, 02:08 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
agree sport plus is basically a track mode
In auto mode....absolutely. Not for street use. In manual mode it's no different than any other mode. You decide when to shift but the shifts are quicker and crisper than in normal or sport mode.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:39 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Sport Plus in manual mode has quicker/firmer shifts and PSM limits are higher. It can be fun on a good canyon road.

Trending Topics

Old 02-03-2019, 04:51 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by rw229
In Spot Plus the suspension will be the same as Sport and PSM less intrusive. The advantage is that you can shift manually when you want without the computer interfering and have slightly quicker shifts than in Sport/manual, giving a little more of a manual transmission feel, though not really IMO.

If you're an auto guy, you'll be fine. If you're a manual guy, buy a manual.
Thanks. Will the car make gear changes when manually shifting outside of sport plus mode besides when you are near redlining?

I guess my question is whether sport plus mode is only intended when shifting manually.

I’ve had a manual for a while, but the PDK shifting is pretty impressive and certainly far better (not just faster) than I am.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:53 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
In auto mode....absolutely. Not for street use. In manual mode it's no different than any other mode. You decide when to shift but the shifts are quicker and crisper than in normal or sport mode.
Can you clarify why sport plus should really only be used with auto when on the track, but is fine when manual shifting otherwise?
Old 02-03-2019, 07:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

...Will the car make gear changes when manually shifting outside of sport plus mode besides when you are near redlining?

In Manual mode, in all Sport Chrono modes Normal, Sport or Sport Plus), you are in control of gear shifting. You may shift at any point in the rev range in manual mode. The only auto intervention is a rev limiter up top and a downshift down below when you hit the stall point. Proper manual shifting will not be affected by either. The difference in Sport Plus is that it is restricted to the lower close-ratio 6 gears.

I do often use Sport Plus in M mode on the open road, especially on canyon-type backroads.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:03 PM
renncayman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport Plus will also make the car sound better IMO.

Quick Reply: Question on Sport Plus Mode