Advice Request - 2009 C4S Deck lid/Reflector

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:41 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Advice Request - 2009 C4S Deck lid/Reflector

Hi all,

I am putting some personal touches on my new to me C4S, and noticed the back reflector connecting the tail lights has condensation on the inside. I am THINKING once the temperatures come back up, it will eventually dry out, but who knows. I have been eyeballing the Fabspeed Type III wing in the future, as I really like the look of a wing. I then noticed someone on 6speed mentioned they replaced their C4S deckled with a Turbo Decklid, and got the wing as part of the deal.

I am not sure what my options are here. The reflector bar is ridiculously expensive, I am not sure what the addition of the fabspeed III Wing entails for install, and is a Turbo deckled somewhat plug n play?

My end goal is getting rid go the condensation back there, and having a wing...Options?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

I did a TT decklid with active aero on my wife's C2S There are a number of good writeups here and in 6speedonline that the few of us that did this helped in putting together.

If you want the upper spoiler to lift and lower based on speed, you'll need to change your factory airbox to something else, as there is not room for the hydraulic rams next to it. I'm not sure anyone makes an aftermarket airbox for the .2 that would work for this though. I believe the Fabspeed Y-pipe is too long on one side - at least it was on the .1 cars and I don't think EVOMS has a CAI for the .2. The intake angle between the .1 and .2 cars is different so you can't use a Fabspeed J-pipe or the normal EVOMS one. I think with the TT decklid on a. 2 you might have to go with the fixed wing position kit. Upside to that is no hydraulics to mess with and easier install. Downside is it's not as cool.

To do the fixed wing option, you'd need:
  • Decklid and wing from a TT
  • Cooling fan from a TT (bolt pattern is different than the non-Turbo)
  • 3rd brake light for the TT spoiler
  • Wiring harness for a TT so you have the connector for the 3rd brake light. This harness will plug right into your car, defeat the current 3rd brake light and activate the one in the TT spoiler. It will also include the connector for the spoiler hydraulics, but you won't use that
  • A fixed wing kit for the upper TT spoiler fro ebay or other source. This will allow you to set the height of the upper wing to a fixed position - I find 3" perfect, which is the same height as the cabs and 1" higher than the coupes. Taller looks too tall to me and 2" (the lifted height on coupes isn't quite high enough), but with the kit, you can set it where you want.
  • Then you need someone with a Durametric Pro or similar device that allows coding of the car modules as you need to turn off the current active aero settings for the rear spoiler and select fixed wing instead, otherwise you'll get a "spoiler failure" message every time you hit 77 mph or decerate down past 45 mph (or so).
Doing it as a fixed wing setup, you're probably looking at $2,000-$2,500 in parts plus paint. If you can find a .2 airbox that works, add another $600-$800 for the hydraulics setup (I'll sell you the one from my wife's car as I'm eventually converting hers to Rennkit's E-Ram setup that I've had in the closet for 3 years.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Greenchunks
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
Hi all,

I am putting some personal touches on my new to me C4S, and noticed the back reflector connecting the tail lights has condensation on the inside. I am THINKING once the temperatures come back up, it will eventually dry out, but who knows. I have been eyeballing the Fabspeed Type III wing in the future, as I really like the look of a wing. I then noticed someone on 6speed mentioned they replaced their C4S deckled with a Turbo Decklid, and got the wing as part of the deal.

I am not sure what my options are here. The reflector bar is ridiculously expensive, I am not sure what the addition of the fabspeed III Wing entails for install, and is a Turbo deckled somewhat plug n play?

My end goal is getting rid go the condensation back there, and having a wing...Options?
I too am cursed with the condensation across my back reflector, have you looked into removing it, drying it out and resealing it with some materials from the hardware store? It looks like it's $1,000+ for a new OEM one.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:40 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Wow...OK that is a bit more than I want to take on...at least for now. but I will definately save this for later...Just as a curiosity, is a Durametric PRO necessary? I have an enthusiest version that I purchased and this car is 1 of 3 VIN's.

Originally Posted by Petza914
I did a TT decklid with active aero on my wife's C2S There are a number of good writeups here and in 6speedonline that the few of us that did this helped in putting together.

If you want the upper spoiler to lift and lower based on speed, you'll need to change your factory airbox to something else, as there is not room for the hydraulic rams next to it. I'm not sure anyone makes an aftermarket airbox for the .2 that would work for this though. I believe the Fabspeed Y-pipe is too long on one side - at least it was on the .1 cars and I don't think EVOMS has a CAI for the .2. The intake angle between the .1 and .2 cars is different so you can't use a Fabspeed J-pipe or the normal EVOMS one. I think with the TT decklid on a. 2 you might have to go with the fixed wing position kit. Upside to that is no hydraulics to mess with and easier install. Downside is it's not as cool.

To do the fixed wing option, you'd need:
  • Decklid and wing from a TT
  • Cooling fan from a TT (bolt pattern is different than the non-Turbo)
  • 3rd brake light for the TT spoiler
  • Wiring harness for a TT so you have the connector for the 3rd brake light. This harness will plug right into your car, defeat the current 3rd brake light and activate the one in the TT spoiler. It will also include the connector for the spoiler hydraulics, but you won't use that
  • A fixed wing kit for the upper TT spoiler fro ebay or other source. This will allow you to set the height of the upper wing to a fixed position - I find 3" perfect, which is the same height as the cabs and 1" higher than the coupes. Taller looks too tall to me and 2" (the lifted height on coupes isn't quite high enough), but with the kit, you can set it where you want.
  • Then you need someone with a Durametric Pro or similar device that allows coding of the car modules as you need to turn off the current active aero settings for the rear spoiler and select fixed wing instead, otherwise you'll get a "spoiler failure" message every time you hit 77 mph or decerate down past 45 mph (or so).
Doing it as a fixed wing setup, you're probably looking at $2,000-$2,500 in parts plus paint. If you can find a .2 airbox that works, add another $600-$800 for the hydraulics setup (I'll sell you the one from my wife's car as I'm eventually converting hers to Rennkit's E-Ram setup that I've had in the closet for 3 years.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:50 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

I think I saw one for 6-700 but that is still ridiculous...I tried to remove but the clips started breaking and a hairline crack developed so I stopped...

Originally Posted by Greenchunks
I too am cursed with the condensation across my back reflector, have you looked into removing it, drying it out and resealing it with some materials from the hardware store? It looks like it's $1,000+ for a new OEM one.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:41 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Not a fan of the turbo spoiler. Plus as stated above it’s $$$ to get working.

Have you thought of a ducktail ?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:35 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

I like it. Saw one by Misha Designs, but I am having trouble figuring out where to buy one. Suncoast is pretty absent of 997.2 wings as well...

Originally Posted by kellen
Not a fan of the turbo spoiler. Plus as stated above it’s $$$ to get working.

Have you thought of a ducktail ?
Old 01-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
I like it. Saw one by Misha Designs, but I am having trouble figuring out where to buy one. Suncoast is pretty absent of 997.2 wings as well...
Contact Mike at Misha (info@mishadesigns.com).

It's their widebody kit on my Cayenne.

Quick Reply: Advice Request - 2009 C4S Deck lid/Reflector