Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Coat Peel....anyone else experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Clear Coat Peel....anyone else experience this?

Hi Guys and Ladies,

Just a few weeks ago I noticed some of my hood clear coat peeling around the Porsche Insignia on the hood in a few different places but the biggest area is where you place your hand to close the lid. I'm going to have it resprayed soon at :Porsche but in speaking to the guy there he said it could be from it's years in the cold climate of NJ and the salt on the road since when I was there I used it all year round.

I'm attaching pictures but it's really hard to see. The other spots are the size if a dime and there are just two.

Thanks for your 2 cents on this as it just seems odd to me but maybe not. On the bright side at least it'll take care of the chips I've accumulated over the years. My car is 2010.

Tom

Old 01-23-2019, 10:28 AM
FZP
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Tom
I had some bubbling paint that was around the badge. I raised it with my local Porsche centre and they had the case sent off to Germany for a warranty claim as I was within the 10 year anti corrosion warranty
It got approved and the front end was resprayed along with a brand new Porsche badge.
As long as the front end hasn't been resprayed previously, you may have a chance at a warranty claim, albeit slim.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2019, 11:32 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by FZP
Hi Tom
I had some bubbling paint that was around the badge. I raised it with my local Porsche centre and they had the case sent off to Germany for a warranty claim as I was within the 10 year anti corrosion warranty
It got approved and the front end was resprayed along with a brand new Porsche badge.
As long as the front end hasn't been resprayed previously, you may have a chance at a warranty claim, albeit slim.

Good luck
Man that was very nice of you to take the time to tell me that!! I just called Porsche and I'll let you know what they say. I'm optimistic!

Tom
Old 01-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Are you the original owner? If not, did the PO have any body work done? Ever had a clear bra and then had it removed? Ever had the car buffed out?

The only times I've ever seen clear peeling due to road salt and corrosion, it was at a panel edge or around a chip where corrosion was working it's way under the paint.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

I had some clear coat failure on the front bumper. I hadn't thought about a warranty claim.

A bit later a sandstorm in the Mojave deemed a front end respray necessary. No problem since then.

The car has been in Northern California for its life. No inclement weather but it is a DD subject to rain and road construction. I suspect a rock chipped the clear coat resulting in eventually peel back failure.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:41 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Iceter
Are you the original owner? If not, did the PO have any body work done? Ever had a clear bra and then had it removed? Ever had the car buffed out?

The only times I've ever seen clear peeling due to road salt and corrosion, it was at a panel edge or around a chip where corrosion was working it's way under the paint.
Yeah I am the original owner. I've had body work done but not to the front of the car. Never had a clear bra. Car's been waxed and buffed many times over the 8 years I've owned her.

Tom
Old 01-23-2019, 04:42 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Thanks Wayne....I never thought of it either!

Tom
Old 01-23-2019, 05:04 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Personally I think its a stain. Or it has been repainted. I cant tell from the pic. I would take it to a body shop and ask for an overall assessment
Old 01-23-2019, 05:28 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Personally I think its a stain. Or it has been repainted. I cant tell from the pic. I would take it to a body shop and ask for an overall assessment
I did that already and both Porsche and the Body Shop said it was the clear coat peeling. If you feel it you can tell easily.

Tom
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

ok, so what does the body shop say to do, paint it again?
if the clear coat peeled to that extent, then what you see next is the base coat. there is no such thing as one clear coat layer, then another clear coat layer, then base coat.
What I can see, is that you still have a layer of clear beyond that marked area. If that is the case, somebody recleared the hood over the original paint job and that new clear is coming off. This could have been at the factory, or the selling dealer made a repair before they sold it. Thats what a competent body shop will see immediately
Old 01-23-2019, 09:17 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Is it possible you buffed it one too many tomes and the clear has worn through and is peeling at the edges of the compromised areas?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Iceter
Is it possible you buffed it one too many tomes and the clear has worn through and is peeling at the edges of the compromised areas?
I thought of that too but both places said that that wasn't the case as the paint underneath would show some damage. They were both positive that it wasn't caused be a detail and the Body Shop and dealer are independent of one another.

Tom
Old 01-23-2019, 10:54 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by okbarnett
ok, so what does the body shop say to do, paint it again?
if the clear coat peeled to that extent, then what you see next is the base coat. there is no such thing as one clear coat layer, then another clear coat layer, then base coat.
What I can see, is that you still have a layer of clear beyond that marked area. If that is the case, somebody recleared the hood over the original paint job and that new clear is coming off. This could have been at the factory, or the selling dealer made a repair before they sold it. Thats what a competent body shop will see immediately
Both of them say to paint it again and in person it doesn't look like there's another clear coat under the peel....it looks like the base coat to me and these two people I've spoken with say the same. At this point I just need it fixed whatever happened and I'm hoping maybe Porsche might warranty it.

Tom
Old 01-24-2019, 01:14 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I thought of that too but both places said that that wasn't the case as the paint underneath would show some damage. They were both positive that it wasn't caused be a detail and the Body Shop and dealer are independent of one another.

Tom
I guess the only way to know for sure about that possibility would be to use a paint meter around the affected areas and see it they're very thin.

it is possible to buff down to a point where you're almost through the clear. The underlying color coat won't show any damage but the clear will eventually fail just because it's so thin.

All that being said, if that was the case, I'd expect to see that happening on high spots on the car like fender tops and character lines, not on a flat part of the hood. Then again, maybe a detailer was buffing there extra long to take out some road rash or scratches?

Whatever happens, let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 748 Likes on 391 Posts

Sounds like clear coat failure, rare, but not impossible. Take it to dealer and attempt warranty.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Peel....anyone else experience this?