Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Coat Peel....anyone else experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I wish my clear coat failure had been that limited! The doors, front fender and hood are the only parts that have NOT needed respray so far. Tops of mirrors and bumperettes are needing it but I haven't gotten around to it yet. FL sun is murder on paint, even with regular use of UV-blocking polymer coating. Also, the factory clearcoat is none too thick, and can't be cut/buffed very much before it burns through.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:36 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I wish my clear coat failure had been that limited! The doors, front fender and hood are the only parts that have NOT needed respray so far. Tops of mirrors and bumperettes are needing it but I haven't gotten around to it yet. FL sun is murder on paint, even with regular use of UV-blocking polymer coating. Also, the factory clearcoat is none too thick, and can't be cut/buffed very much before it burns through.
Ben, so you think it's where we live that's the contributing factor. What parts have you resprayed?

Did you try the corrosion warranty route?

Thanks.

Tom
Old 01-25-2019, 07:36 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Just by what I can see, It looks like a initial spot they feathered out and/or buffed out , and when they did that, they went thru the clear, then they recleared the hood. That doesnt work, especially on dark colors. If you go thru the clear to expose the base, you cant clear over it and make it disappear. You have to completely base coat then clear the whole panel
Thats how it looks to me, It looks like it is all below the clear Have to see it to know for sure
Old 02-04-2019, 07:10 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Heard back from Porsche on the corrosion warranty repair and it was denied.. They said the paint itself would have had to be affected before they would cover the problem so I'm going to have it repainted. Oh well, at least I'll get rid of the stone chips!

Tom
Old 02-05-2019, 01:35 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Ben, so you think it's where we live that's the contributing factor. What parts have you resprayed?

Did you try the corrosion warranty route?

Thanks.

Tom
I know in my case it's where I live, plus the fact I drove it every day and parked it outdoors at my office. Resprayed everything but the hood, front fenders, and doors. Still need to spray the mirror tops and rear bumperettes.
And no, LOL my car is 14 years old, I think the corrosion warranty ship has sailed even if the problem had been corrosion, which it wasn't. Just clearcoat failure from years of UV exposure, even with frequent applications of UV sealant.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Peel....anyone else experience this?