Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 as a DD with young kids

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:40 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

I'll chime in that i have a 2.5 y.o and the 997 is basically a two seater with his rear facing seat behind the passenger seat. But it's fun to be able to take him to early C&Cs and stroller him around for a couple hours. Better than taking the CRV. Until your LOs are both front facing, consider that you wont be able to take the mrs with you. Or if you do, you'll both regret it. Still being able to stick a junior back there is the reason i was able to get a 911. So thumbs up!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I'll chime in that i have a 2.5 y.o and the 997 is basically a two seater with his rear facing seat behind the passenger seat. But it's fun to be able to take him to early C&Cs and stroller him around for a couple hours. Better than taking the CRV. Until your LOs are both front facing, consider that you wont be able to take the mrs with you. Or if you do, you'll both regret it. Still being able to stick a junior back there is the reason i was able to get a 911. So thumbs up!
Yeah, I don't think that she'd be too happy, but hopefully it's not for long.

@nwGTS I see that you're also in Chicago. Do you drive your car in the winter?
Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jazz11man1
@nwGTS I see that you're also in Chicago. Do you drive your car in the winter?
Thats a hard no.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:18 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ill chime in that 5 to 11 years old are the glory days for kids in a 911. They love it, their friends love it and you get to hear screams of joy when pressing the fun pedal.
The following users liked this post:
westcoastj (11-19-2021)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How long the 997 will be a viable kid hauler for you depends a lot on genetics. A few years ago I got my niece and nephew in the back easy. Now she’s 5’8 and he’s 5’11 and they’re only 12 and 15 respectively😵
Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by PJP13
Anybody have a recommendation for a booster seat that is narrow enough to fit well in the back of a 997? I have tried 2 with no luck...
This one fits perfectly and comes in a wide array of colors. It’s inexpensive, too.

https://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-23-2019, 01:10 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

As for using a 911 with a rear facing child seat—that’s really impractical. Toddlers in front facing seats is doable, and kids in boosters is no problem at all.

But rear-facing seats not only make the front passenger seat un-liveable, but it’s really hard to get the baby in and out of the seat without wrenching your back and tearing up the trim.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:17 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

I've a 19 month old boy and I've been ferrying him around on a daily basis in my 2005 C2. Been doing this since the middle of summer.
We use a Cosco front facing seat with the rear-cushion removed.
The front passenger seat isn't completely unusable - just to annoy my 6ft tall brother, we went on some short drives (30-40min).
My wife 5 ft 2in can sit comfortably though, but we have a beater for family trips.
There are a couple of threads on securing the base - adding towels etc to keep it from moving a lot => search for them (pictures as well).

As others mentioned, the rear-facing seat would be a pain to use everyday. Once your kid moves to a forward facing, you're going to be less annoyed.. only in the car :P
Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Works great for front facing seats in the rear once the OEM seat backs are removed. These are Harmony Dreamtime seats (Wal-Mart with high safety rating) with a nice narrow base that fits the curves of the rear seat area very well.

One thing that was great about them is my 997 is GT silver and my wife's is pink pearl. The black seats came in 2 colors - black with silver trim and black with pink trim - go figure.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:39 AM
jazz11man1
Instructor

My parents had (and still have) an Austin Healey, and I loved riding in it when I was a kid, and still do.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 AM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ben Z
How long the 997 will be a viable kid hauler for you depends a lot on genetics. A few years ago I got my niece and nephew in the back easy. Now she’s 5’8 and he’s 5’11 and they’re only 12 and 15 respectively😵
Hopefully, it will be a while until my girls get that tall, assuming that they even do.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:06 AM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

6 year old and 4 year old here. Removing the rear seats is a must. As others have mentioned, the rear-facing seat is going to be a pain in the *** and effectively turn the car into a 3-seater. But once you get both front-facing it is no problem
Old 11-07-2019, 12:26 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

I have had my daughter in the Britax Marathon, forward facing for over a year (with seat bottom and back in place as stock). She is now over 3 and complaining about lack of space and my wife is tired of riding around with her seat all the way forward. It seems most people go right from the Britax to the Harmony Dreamtime booster or similar. From someone who has made the change is that the best next step, any luck with a booster that starts with a 5 point harness and converts to 3 point later (for instance the Graco Tranzitions), and did going to the booster open up a lot more space? Also I am open to taking out the seat bottom and back if that will really make it workable for the right seat.

Last edited by HiAperture; 11-07-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:40 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter

As for using a 911 with a rear facing child seat—that’s really impractical. Toddlers in front facing seats is doable, and kids in boosters is no problem at all.

But rear-facing seats not only make the front passenger seat un-liveable, but it’s really hard to get the baby in and out of the seat without wrenching your back and tearing up the trim.
You just need to get a Cab. Plop 'em in from above.

My kids are 8 and (just turned) 11. They love riding with the top down.

To answer the OP, there's no way I would have a 911 as a DD if I was ferrying toddler aged (or younger) kids around. When my second one was on the way I sold my WRX wagon because i found it too annoying for toting kids around. The 911 is on a whole different level. This doesn't even take into account that kids that age are a damn cyclone of disgusting messes. Not really conducive to a car you want to keep in good condition.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by HiAperture
I have had my daughter in the Britax Marathon, forward facing for over a year (with seat bottom and back in place as stock). She is now over 3 and complaining about lack of space and my wife is tired of riding around with her seat all the way forward. It seems most people go right from the Britax to the Harmony Dreamtime booster or similar. From someone who has made the change is that the best next step, any luck with a booster that starts with a 5 point harness and converts to 3 point later (for instance the Graco Tranzitions), and did going to the booster open up a lot more space? Also I am open to taking out the seat bottom and back if that will really make it workable for the right seat.
Lots more space opens up for the front passenger once you go with the Harmony Dreamtime. I'm 6'1" and we'd drive around with both kids in those seats in the back. My seat was further forward than I'd choose it to be without one sitting behind me, but still very drivable.

If you haven't already, remove the seat backs and bottoms. Getting rid of the seat backs helps a lot. Also, the coupe is better than the cab for car seats. The rear wall in the cab angles forward a good bit to make a place for the top to fold down. The coupe rear wall actually angles rearward. When we were looking at 911s for my wife to DD we immediately eliminated the cab for this reason and she likes the classic lines of the coupe better anyway.
The following users liked this post:
HiAperture (11-07-2019)

Quick Reply: 911 as a DD with young kids