997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 as a DD with young kids

Old 01-22-2019, 06:40 PM
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll chime in that i have a 2.5 y.o and the 997 is basically a two seater with his rear facing seat behind the passenger seat. But it's fun to be able to take him to early C&Cs and stroller him around for a couple hours. Better than taking the CRV. Until your LOs are both front facing, consider that you wont be able to take the mrs with you. Or if you do, you'll both regret it. Still being able to stick a junior back there is the reason i was able to get a 911. So thumbs up!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 PM
jazz11man1
User

Originally Posted by nwGTS View Post
I'll chime in that i have a 2.5 y.o and the 997 is basically a two seater with his rear facing seat behind the passenger seat. But it's fun to be able to take him to early C&Cs and stroller him around for a couple hours. Better than taking the CRV. Until your LOs are both front facing, consider that you wont be able to take the mrs with you. Or if you do, you'll both regret it. Still being able to stick a junior back there is the reason i was able to get a 911. So thumbs up!
Yeah, I don't think that she'd be too happy, but hopefully it's not for long.

nwGTS I see that you're also in Chicago. Do you drive your car in the winter?
Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 PM
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jazz11man1 View Post
nwGTS I see that you're also in Chicago. Do you drive your car in the winter?
Thats a hard no.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:18 PM
captainbaker
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ill chime in that 5 to 11 years old are the glory days for kids in a 911. They love it, their friends love it and you get to hear screams of joy when pressing the fun pedal.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Ben Z
User

How long the 997 will be a viable kid hauler for you depends a lot on genetics. A few years ago I got my niece and nephew in the back easy. Now she’s 5’8 and he’s 5’11 and they’re only 12 and 15 respectively😵
Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 AM
Iceter
User

Originally Posted by PJP13 View Post
Anybody have a recommendation for a booster seat that is narrow enough to fit well in the back of a 997? I have tried 2 with no luck...
This one fits perfectly and comes in a wide array of colors. It’s inexpensive, too.

https://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-23-2019, 01:10 AM
Iceter
User

As for using a 911 with a rear facing child seat—that’s really impractical. Toddlers in front facing seats is doable, and kids in boosters is no problem at all.

But rear-facing seats not only make the front passenger seat un-liveable, but it’s really hard to get the baby in and out of the seat without wrenching your back and tearing up the trim.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:17 AM
shyamvenky
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've a 19 month old boy and I've been ferrying him around on a daily basis in my 2005 C2. Been doing this since the middle of summer.
We use a Cosco front facing seat with the rear-cushion removed.
The front passenger seat isn't completely unusable - just to annoy my 6ft tall brother, we went on some short drives (30-40min).
My wife 5 ft 2in can sit comfortably though, but we have a beater for family trips.
There are a couple of threads on securing the base - adding towels etc to keep it from moving a lot => search for them (pictures as well).

As others mentioned, the rear-facing seat would be a pain to use everyday. Once your kid moves to a forward facing, you're going to be less annoyed.. only in the car :P
Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 AM
Petza914
Addict
Rennlist Member

Works great for front facing seats in the rear once the OEM seat backs are removed. These are Harmony Dreamtime seats (Wal-Mart with high safety rating) with a nice narrow base that fits the curves of the rear seat area very well.

One thing that was great about them is my 997 is GT silver and my wife's is pink pearl. The black seats came in 2 colors - black with silver trim and black with pink trim - go figure.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:39 AM
jazz11man1
User

My parents had (and still have) an Austin Healey, and I loved riding in it when I was a kid, and still do.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 AM
jazz11man1
User

Originally Posted by Ben Z View Post
How long the 997 will be a viable kid hauler for you depends a lot on genetics. A few years ago I got my niece and nephew in the back easy. Now she’s 5’8 and he’s 5’11 and they’re only 12 and 15 respectively😵
Hopefully, it will be a while until my girls get that tall, assuming that they even do.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:06 AM
BradtheAg
User

6 year old and 4 year old here. Removing the rear seats is a must. As others have mentioned, the rear-facing seat is going to be a pain in the *** and effectively turn the car into a 3-seater. But once you get both front-facing it is no problem

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: