Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 as a DD with young kids

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 02:07 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

The 991 is much roomier In the back compared to the 997. Also has the proper attachment points for all modern seats.
Daily drove a 991.1 C4S for a while and really enjoyed it. My 3 y/o at the time felt the same. My children are 9 and 5 now. Considering going back to daily driving a 991.2.

I’m also looking for a 997.2 C4S manual but I’d have to test fit the kids first. I’m 6’2, but no one would sit behind me.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:22 PM
JT77
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I just ordered this for my new 997. Hoping it fits and my 4yr old likes it. Anyone have any experience with it? Any thoughts?

https://www.mifold.com/products/hifold
Old 11-07-2019, 02:45 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I used mine as a daily driver for 10 years which took my son from newborn to about 8. Still have the car, but not a daily anymore. it works fine. son is now 11, and still loves riding in it.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:56 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Lots more space opens up for the front passenger once you go with the Harmony Dreamtime. I'm 6'1" and we'd drive around with both kids in those seats in the back. My seat was further forward than I'd choose it to be without one sitting behind me, but still very drivable.

If you haven't already, remove the seat backs and bottoms. Getting rid of the seat backs helps a lot. Also, the coupe is better than the cab for car seats. The rear wall in the cab angles forward a good bit to make a place for the top to fold down. The coupe rear wall actually angles rearward. When we were looking at 911s for my wife to DD we immediately eliminated the cab for this reason and she likes the classic lines of the coupe better anyway.
Thanks so with the Dreamtime still take out the cushions for maximum space? I am in a coupe and no bose, so really easy install. I see someone in another thread says the Britax Frontier harness-2-booster also fits, it is of course $279 like my Marathon was. Of course that is small change to keep the kiddo safe, but if she is going to be done with a 5 point soon anyway, why not save the money and go with the Dreamtime which seems so highly recommended.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:02 PM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I have had my car for about 10 months and daily drive with twins that will be 5 in January. Here are my thoughts.

The biggest problem is that the back seat bottoms narrow quite a bit towards the rear of the vehicle. My kids are around 42" tall and a little over 40 pounds. When I first got the car I put them in the Britax roundabout which I moved over from my Audi wagon. I didn't think it would fit but it actually worked well. The base is narrow enough that it fit well in the seats but not perfect. I'm 6' but drive fairly close to the wheel so we had plenty of room. The other problem is that the seat belt receptacle is located a bit forward and high. In my opinion the restraint of the seat was not ideal due to the seat belt receptacle placement but, combined with the rear tether/anchor point it was ok I guess.

A few months ago I took some measurements and went shopping for a high back booster but found none that fit to my satisfaction. I ended up with a backless walmart booster, the Cosco Rise. The fit is perfect and because the seat backs on the 997 are so short the seat belt position across their torso is perfect. I have no qualms about the safety of this set up.

I contemplated removing the rear seats but removing the seat bottoms creates a narrower platform to support the bottom of the boosters which I didn't like. Also it makes the placement of the seat belt receptacle worse. I also had reservations about removing the seat back as the back of the child seat would be less supported in a rear impact and I was not comfortable with that.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:53 PM
7 treasures
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I use my 997.2 Cab as a DD.
My youngest 2 are 11 years old and 5 years old.
I use the Porsche car seat available at Suncoast. It fits perfectly.
I regularly pick up and drop off the girls all the time.

They especially like the top down.
My littlest says "use ALL the horsepower daddy."
Old 11-08-2019, 12:16 AM
SonicJLee
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 2 highback boosters in my 997 (Cosco finale 2-n-1) which fits in the car perfectly without having to remove the rear seats. When my son was an infant, I had a 991 and used a graco 35 infant car seat, using the seat belt to secure (no base). I found it was easier to secure the infant car seat than to secure the harness on the highback boosters but that may just be because I'm older and more out of shape now. The 997 is definitely useable as a daily with young kids if you don't mind reaching into the back seat area to strap them in. It is also nice that it is easy for my kids to climb in (3 year old and 5 year old). I put about 1.5k miles per month on my 997 during the fall, spring, and summer seasons. With that being said, I also have a 970 Panamera GTS and find that much easier to use as a daily.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:20 AM
Janton9736
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 997.2. Yes child seats can fit but using the anchors are nearly impossible. Extremely frustrating to use...once you cut the carpet to uncover them!
Old 11-25-2019, 09:14 PM
JT77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JT77
I just ordered this for my new 997. Hoping it fits and my 4yr old likes it. Anyone have any experience with it? Any thoughts?

https://www.mifold.com/products/hifold

Fits pretty well in case anyone is still looking.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:51 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 364 Likes on 229 Posts

I daily drove my 996 4S, 997.1S and 997.2S with the kids till they were about 15. And they are tall kids, but I would typically pick up from school or take them to and from sports/friends. They complained a little but they were short trips. I would say go for it!! The car seat changes things slightly especially if you are tall.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 11-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Oneday997
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 133 Posts

I don’t daily mine (picked up a Cayenne gts for that) but I do take my daughter to school/soccer/friends/whatever in the 911. She’s 8 now and has been crushing around in the back for about 4 years now. She loves it and talks about how the boys in her class always ask her about her dad’s “porshhh”. She doesn’t correct them as she doesn’t want to be rude but she comes home and tells me that they say it wrong. Lol. Oh, and the only down side is that she is now saying that she wants a Porsche when she is 16.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:20 PM
qualified man
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JT77

Fits pretty well in case anyone is still looking.
Thanks for this! I was considering this ‘seat’. How does your kid like it?
Old 11-26-2019, 10:02 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I have done it through two cycles. Have two out of college that were raised in 911s and have an 8 year old now.

I also have a factory Porsche child seat I no longer need if anyone want to purchase.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:07 AM
JT77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qualified man
Thanks for this! I was considering this ‘seat’. How does your kid like it?
Little man really likes the booster, especially in the 997. He says he wishes he had this in all our cars.

I like how portable it is. We just got back from vacation and it made a huge difference vs. the full size car seat.

Quick Reply: 911 as a DD with young kids