Sponsored by:

997.2 PSE Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:08 AM
Arash Rokni
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 PSE Question

I have a PSE question and would love to hear everyone's input. I know its debatable on whether adding PSE is worth it given the high install cost vs audible exhaust note difference. So this isn't one of those questions....

I'm curious tho how the standard stock exhaust on a 997.2 S sounds compared to a PSE in the OFF position? I've watched/listened to sound clips and I cant seem to tell.

Also, I'm in San Diego if any members have a 997.2 with any exhaust mods. Would love to hear your set up!

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-18-2019, 01:04 AM
systech
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm pretty sure that you will find they will both sound the same.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:33 AM
holgum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 01-18-2019, 03:00 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,062 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by Arash Rokni
I have a PSE question and would love to hear everyone's input. I know its debatable on whether adding PSE is worth it given the high install cost vs audible exhaust note difference. So this isn't one of those questions....

I'm curious tho how the standard stock exhaust on a 997.2 S sounds compared to a PSE in the OFF position? I've watched/listened to sound clips and I cant seem to tell.

Also, I'm in San Diego if any members have a 997.2 with any exhaust mods. Would love to hear your set up!

Thanks everyone!
Pretty sure it would sound about the same. Kind of confused about what you're trying to accomplish. Why spend $4K or more on PSE if you're concerned about what it sounds like when turned off? IMO, the only reason for a PSE install is if you want the car louder and to get all of that you also have to replace the center muffler with one of the x-pipe options. PSE with the center muffler left in place won't do much to the exhaust note. PSE on or off.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:17 AM
Arash Rokni
8th Gear

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Pretty sure it would sound about the same. Kind of confused about what you're trying to accomplish. Why spend $4K or more on PSE if you're concerned about what it sounds like when turned off? IMO, the only reason for a PSE install is if you want the car louder and to get all of that you also have to replace the center muffler with one of the x-pipe options. PSE with the center muffler left in place won't do much to the exhaust note. PSE on or off.
Yea thats what I gathered after reading the write-up from Sharkwerks. I was hoping that the off position was just a tad punchier than the standard exhaust, that way I could justify the $4k for it. I like how I can toggle between the settings, but I don't know if its worth it now. Maybe I'll try the Sharkwerks muffler bypass for now and take it from there.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:20 AM
Arash Rokni
8th Gear

Originally Posted by holgum
Great read, thank you!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 AM
C4SNY
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 21 Posts

My car came with PSE and I just added a Fabspeed X-pipe. Here’s a comparison video:

Clip 1 is PSE off
Clip 2 is PSE on
Clip 3 is PSE on with Fabspeed X-pipe

Old 01-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

I agonized over this for weeks. Gundo hack, Fister mufflers, aftermarket exhaust, retrofit PSE. The stock 911 is too quiet in my opinion.

Went with Fister mufflers simply due to cost. I figured if I didn't like it I could always spend more money and change it. If I spent a whole bunch of money first I can't go back and undo that.

I'm really happy with the sound of the Fister mufflers (https://fdmotorsports.net/) Not a plug, just a happy customer. Their service is top notch too.

The only real downside is that it is louder all the time, versus PSE that you can turn on/off. Cold startups are really loud and raspy too, I leave for the office early some mornings and I'm sure my neighbors do not appreciate the cold startups.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:59 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 391 Likes on 255 Posts

I would go with the Fisters with your choice of cross pipe replacement. Had fisters on prior car, was a great sound. From all the clips online you really need the x pipe to bring the car alive in a 997.2.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:14 PM
Arash Rokni
8th Gear

Originally Posted by C4SNY
My car came with PSE and I just added a Fabspeed X-pipe. Here’s a comparison video:

Clip 1 is PSE off
Clip 2 is PSE on
Clip 3 is PSE on with Fabspeed X-pipe

https://youtu.be/UC4tHLMJI3c
LOVE the fabspeed sound! This is the X-pipe I'm most leaning towards. What made you go with Fabspeed vs the others?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Arash Rokni
8th Gear

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Must say I love your car's set up! Wish you were local!
Old 01-19-2019, 02:16 AM
C4SNY
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Arash Rokni
LOVE the fabspeed sound! This is the X-pipe I'm most leaning towards. What made you go with Fabspeed vs the others?
Made my decision based on videos I saw and how the tone was different. Seems like a lot more work went into the design and doesn’t create a loss of low-end torque. So far I’m extremely happy with it:
Old 01-19-2019, 10:08 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Having installed PSE on both my 06S and my 09S I was disappointed with the sound. Unless you have a sharkworks or fabspeed bypass on your 997.2
the difference is minimal, from the standard vs PSE.
The tone on the 06 was excellent!! Also I had added sport headers!
this was besides my wife’s comment, “all that money for a vroom, vroom”

Last edited by larrytrk; 01-19-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:53 AM
chrcook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it’s worth, I did the gundo hack + fab speed x-pipe center and have been very happy in my ‘09 6-sp.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:15 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

One other solution is the Soul Performance valved exhaust. I had it installed last June. Valves closed is slightly louder than stock from a cold start, then essentially the same as stock with warmed engine. Valves open is louder and deeper than the PSE version. Fantastic at WOT and d-shifts. This mod completely exceeded my expectations.

High quality product / American company / half the cost of the PSE

https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-9...alved-exhaust/

Quick Reply: 997.2 PSE Question