Thinking about selling my GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 07:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfer

so what 911 are you getting as a replacement? Just went on a spirited drive today, saw a lot of 911’s. The only ones that interested me were the GT3 touring which is gorgeous and some screaming 964’s. Also made me realize that I’m not a fan of PASM at all. Anyway, post up your new ride, looking forward to seeing it when it comes.
OEM PASM by itself isn't great, but if you look at it as a foundation to be able to use TPC's DSC module to get a fully customizable and g-force reactive suspension, it's a must have option when shopping for a 997.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:58 PM
8Lug
Burning Brakes

Received 821 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwfan328
why? i'm speaking specifically about Sandwedge's GTS advertised in the marketplace with a "perfectly clean" Carfax, which technically is true if you pull the Carfax, but there is no mention of the accident that was detailed in his thread Another Rear End Story
I think it's safe to assume Carfax will pick this up sooner or later. It already shows up as an accident on AutoCheck so Carfax is probably just slow to update. 5/05/2018SARASOTA, FLAccident SourceACCIDENT OR VEHICLE DAMAGE REPORTED: REAR CENTER 05/05/2018SARASOTA, FLPolice ReportACCIDENT REPORTED(Case #:18-028120)
I don't think the accident should be an issue for a buyer since the repairs are well documented and there is evidence that the damage was minor. From a practical standpoint the incident is inconsequential but obviously a buyer should be aware that history is not perfectly clean.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
I don't think the accident should be an issue for a buyer since the repairs are well documented and there is evidence that the damage was minor. From a practical standpoint the incident is inconsequential but obviously a buyer should be aware that history is not perfectly clean.
Agree on all points. This accident and the repairs as described would not deter me from a purchase but there are a certain subset of potential buyers who would disqualify any car with accident damage.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:47 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
I think it's safe to assume Carfax will pick this up sooner or later. It already shows up as an accident on AutoCheck so Carfax is probably just slow to update. 5/05/2018SARASOTA, FLAccident SourceACCIDENT OR VEHICLE DAMAGE REPORTED: REAR CENTER 05/05/2018SARASOTA, FLPolice ReportACCIDENT REPORTED(Case #:18-028120)
Incidentally I spoke with a certified auto appraiser today. Learned some interesting things. First off he said that it's all but certain that my bumper replacement will never show up on Carfax. He said it's highly unusual not to see it within a month of the completed repair which checks exactly with how my rear ended -09 C4S was reported. We're approaching a year from my accident so he basically said to forget it. Somehow it fell through the cracks.

Further and maybe more importantly he said that it really doesn't matter if only the bumper and some exhaust parts were replaced. Not even a dealer should deduct anything from full market value even if there was Carfax history of the event. Why? Because those parts are considered "bolt on items" that are not part of the structure of the car and therefore do not reduce the value of the car. That would explain why the guy at Champion Porsche skipped the bumpers on my -06 C4S. I agree that a paint meter probably is useless on anything than metal surfaces but even if they did detect a bumper repair it wouldn't affect the price of the car unless the repair was clearly visible and second or third rate.

This is the source: https://www.alignable.com/sarasota-f...l-by-cal-smith
Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Incidentally I spoke with a certified auto appraiser today. Learned some interesting things. First off he said that it's all but certain that my bumper replacement will never show up on Carfax. He said it's highly unusual not to see it within a month of the completed repair which checks exactly with how my rear ended -09 C4S was reported. We're approaching a year from my accident so he basically said to forget it. Somehow it fell through the cracks.

Further and maybe more importantly he said that it really doesn't matter if only the bumper and some exhaust parts were replaced. Not even a dealer should deduct anything from full market value even if there was Carfax history of the event. Why? Because those parts are considered "bolt on items" that are not part of the structure of the car and therefore do not reduce the value of the car. That would explain why the guy at Champion Porsche skipped the bumpers on my -06 C4S. I agree that a paint meter probably is useless on anything than metal surfaces but even if they did detect a bumper repair it wouldn't affect the price of the car unless the repair was clearly visible and second or third rate.

This is the source: https://www.alignable.com/sarasota-f...l-by-cal-smith
I am a bit confused. Did you receive a diminished value settlement from the other driver's insurance company? Insurance companies do not pay out DV if there was none. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish. There will be a buyer who will not care about the accident and only he/she will dictate what the car is worth.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:40 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I am a bit confused. Did you receive a diminished value settlement from the other driver's insurance company? Insurance companies do not pay out DV if there was none. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish. There will be a buyer who will not care about the accident and only he/she will dictate what the car is worth.
Well, this one did. I don't know why but I suspect it had something to do with the shop owner putting me in touch with a certified auto appraiser who put the claim together. This was a different appraiser by the way than the one who told me there is no DV with a bumper replacement and some exhaust parts to go with it. I also suspect that the engine removal muddied the water here. It added a large amount to the final tab but as I've said before, was only done in order to properly paint a panel inside the engine bay.

As for what I'm trying to accomplish? Nothing really except to share something that doesn't seem to be widely recognized.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

In another thread you said

TClose to a trade in deal with a southwest Florida dealership who knows about the bumper jobs.
Trade-in implies to me you're getting something else from that dealership - what did you decide on - 997 Turbo, 991 GT3, Aston Martin (just kididng), ?

Inquiring minds want to know....
Old 02-01-2019, 02:36 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914

Trade-in implies to me you're getting something else from that dealership - what did you decide on - 997 Turbo, 991 GT3, Aston Martin (just kididng), ?

Yeah, c'mon talk!
Old 02-02-2019, 02:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914

Originally Posted by Balr14
Yeah, c'mon talk!
At this point I'm leaning heavily towards keeping what I have. I've been looking at a 2012 GTS, basically identical to mine but with just 15,000 miles. Also looked at a 991 GTS but as much as I would like to like the 991 platform I can't seem to get there. A 2010 or 2011 997 Turbo has been a consideration too but really prefer a NA engine. Finally Pete, an Aston Vantage has actually been in the back of my head since I first saw one on the road. Love the looks of it (and the sound) but I just know it's too far removed from the 911 feel and culture that I wouldn't be happy with it. A buddy of mine made the move from a 997.1 C4S to a Vantage some years ago. He was back in a 997 after about 3 months with the Vantage as I recall it.

So again, I'm thinking I should just keep what I have and forget about the odometer. The 997 is unbeatable imo, I have mine set up exactly the way I want it, it's basically flawless and the trade in values are all over the map. Porsche of Naples in Florida offered me $40,000 for my car towards a 2015 991 GTS they have at $99,000. KBB has the average list price of my car with my mileage by a dealer at $61,000 so they think they should make around $20,000 on my trade in car. A Texas Porsche dealer has an almost identical 991 GTS to the Naples car but lower miles and slightly lower price. They offered me $55,000 for my car so a $15,000 spread in trade in money between these two dealers provided with the exact same information and photos of my car selling almost identical cars. Craziness that just tells you not to participate in these games and stay put.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:29 AM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Trade ins are tough, I traded an S4 in on my GTS in 2015. I had low expectations on my modded out S4 but I got what I wanted. I think the only 991 I’d get is a GT3 touring, so I’d keep the GTS if I were you. I plan on keeping mine and I hope to add an air cooled 911 or a 944 Turbo at some time in the years to come.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:18 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Had some seat time in the 991.1 GTS? I'd be interested to hear some critical feedback.

At $95k+ on the 991.1 GTS its a hard sell over a $115k 991 GT3. Considering I'd end up spending at least $10k on mods. And $55k on a perfectly sorted 997 GTS is also a bit daft. Hard spot to be in. That is unless you keep the GTS.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:40 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

I feel you on what to trade into. I’m close to getting my car perfectly sorted. The only thing keeping me out of a GT3 (997 or 991) is that I like to share the experience with my young children on the way to school. If you don’t need the back seats, the options are limitless.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 AM
C4SNY
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 21 Posts

4 years ago I traded in my 09’ C4S and went through 2 cars that depreciated a lot. What’s amazing is the 09’ C4Ss are still the same value as what I traded it in almost 4 years ago.

Glad you’re keeping it.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

At this point I'm leaning heavily towards keeping what I have. I've been looking at a 2012 GTS, basically identical to mine but with just 15,000 miles. Also looked at a 991 GTS but as much as I would like to like the 991 platform I can't seem to get there. A 2010 or 2011 997 Turbo has been a consideration too but really prefer a NA engine. Finally Pete, an Aston Vantage has actually been in the back of my head since I first saw one on the road. Love the looks of it (and the sound) but I just know it's too far removed from the 911 feel and culture that I wouldn't be happy with it. A buddy of mine made the move from a 997.1 C4S to a Vantage some years ago. He was back in a 997 after about 3 months with the Vantage as I recall it.

So again, I'm thinking I should just keep what I have and forget about the odometer. The 997 is unbeatable imo, I have mine set up exactly the way I want it, it's basically flawless and the trade in values are all over the map. Porsche of Naples in Florida offered me $40,000 for my car towards a 2015 991 GTS they have at $99,000. KBB has the average list price of my car with my mileage by a dealer at $61,000 so they think they should make around $20,000 on my trade in car. A Texas Porsche dealer has an almost identical 991 GTS to the Naples car but lower miles and slightly lower price. They offered me $55,000 for my car so a $15,000 spread in trade in money between these two dealers provided with the exact same information and photos of my car selling almost identical cars. Craziness that just tells you not to participate in these games and stay put.
This was a long way to go to end up back at my originally proposed solution in Post #8.

LOL
Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LISsailor
I feel you on what to trade into. I’m close to getting my car perfectly sorted. The only thing keeping me out of a GT3 (997 or 991) is that I like to share the experience with my young children on the way to school. If you don’t need the back seats, the options are limitless.
Aren't the anchors for rear seat belts, seats, etc in a GT3, but just buried beneath the carpet. I think you could get a 997 GT3 and undelete the "rear seat delete" option to have the best of both worlds. You might need to but some used side panels that have the large cutouts for the seat back Frankenstein bolts that the rear seat locks into in the up position, but I'd bet underneath the carpet all those attachment points are there. Look up some photos of stripped GT3s online and see if that's the case.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my GTS