Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling my GTS

Old 01-19-2019, 08:24 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate2046

Between the near 60k mileage and sounding nothing like a P-car I might as well be driving a Camry over my 997TT;-)

In all seriousness, I’ve been in your same position before where I felt like I owned the perfect car and still had the itch to move on. In a perfect world, I’d keep every car and appreciate them all. Sell your GTS and try something else. If you decide you want to go back, you shouldn’t have a problem finding a sub 60k mile example. 997.1 GT3 or GT4 are pretty attractive NA options at the moment.

This. There is no shortage of GTSs and they seem to be hitting the market now that prices stabilized or came back down to reality. I also think a lot of guys are moving to the 991.1 GTSs as those prices come down a bit and the 997.2s get older. Have you driven a 991.1 GTS? I spent some time in a GTS Targa a few months back and I really liked it. It was an amazing car to drive. I also really liked the looks of the modern Targas roof up and roof open. Gorgeous cars.

You are htting that point where market price of your car will dive quickly. Seems like once cars hit that 60k mark, demand/prices drop a fair amount and they start tanking fairly dramatically once cars hit 70k Ideally, dump them in upper 50ks to get top dollar if you want to sell.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

I really don't get the sound thing. Porsches have never really had that awesome, flat plane, race car like sound. I used to hot rod my air cooleds with cat by passes and primary or secondary bypasses, but they just sounded like hot rods and loud then.

I am more about the way a car handles, feels, drives and looks. The Turbo is and has always been the real deal on the Porsche line up. I am sure there are exceptions, but it seems for the most part that once guys dabble into the world of turbos . . . they never go back at least for daily drivers or street application. They may pick up GT3s for track duties or their weekend garage queen, but still stay in the turbos. They are they good and they look the part.

If you can, try and spend a weekend driving one. I think a 2009 997.1 tt with last of the Mezgers is perhaps the best deal going on Porsche cars right now and the last of the Mezgers would be a glorious place to start and perhaps end your foray into the workd of Porsche turbos.

If you want sound pick up a 355, 430 fr perhaps even a Gallardo or R8 for about the same price as a used turbo.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Okay, my previous post was tongue in cheek but here are my quick thoughts to add to the peanut gallery. Maybe I missed it but this is your daily driver right? If that's the case, I (blasphemously) think you should move on. Take the next couple months to find the right ride and list it in April when roads are driveable and people are looking for that fun summer sports car. Do the math to see if trading it in saves more on taxes than you would net selling it privately.

For DD, agree that the 997TT is really the way to go. Best grand tourer available sub $100k. You could consider switching to an Aston but then you have to deal with Aston reliability and you don't get to talk to us anymore.

If this is a weekend/special car and you can deal with two seats and two trunks, go with a GT4. GT4s are special with that GT3 derived suspension even if they only have a detuned Carrera S engine. Other 997 options for this usage and price point are the .1 GT3s and the .2 for a bit more coin.

If you really miss the GTS that much after the break up you'll find plenty in PDK on the market. Manual coupes will always be more difficult to find. Only ~2k of the coupes made globally with ~1200 of them coming here. So, we'll never see a plethora of them on the market but you'll be able to find one.
The caveat is if you like to mod your cars (which you do), you'll be starting from scratch unless you just convert to stock and store your goods waiting to get back into a GTS, but in that case you probably should not sell to begin with.

If you do move on, looks like I'll (proudly) be the last GTS bastion here.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate2046
Between the near 60k mileage and sounding nothing like a P-car I might as well be driving a Camry over my 997TT;-)

In all seriousness, I’ve been in your same position before where I felt like I owned the perfect car and still had the itch to move on. In a perfect world, I’d keep every car and appreciate them all. Sell your GTS and try something else. If you decide you want to go back, you shouldn’t have a problem finding a sub 60k mile example. 997.1 GT3 or GT4 are pretty attractive NA options at the moment.

I like everything about the GT4 except I'm 6'3" and don't fit in it. Same with the Boxster. I've had both for loaners from the dealer and neither one worked in terms of driving position.
Originally Posted by Doug H
This. There is no shortage of GTSs and they seem to be hitting the market now that prices stabilized or came back down to reality. I also think a lot of guys are moving to the 991.1 GTSs as those prices come down a bit and the 997.2s get older. Have you driven a 991.1 GTS? I spent some time in a GTS Targa a few months back and I really liked it. It was an amazing car to drive. I also really liked the looks of the modern Targas roof up and roof open. Gorgeous cars.

You are htting that point where market price of your car will dive quickly. Seems like once cars hit that 60k mark, demand/prices drop a fair amount and they start tanking fairly dramatically once cars hit 70k Ideally, dump them in upper 50ks to get top dollar if you want to sell.
I don't see a lot of GTS's on the market and I'm looking coast to coast. Not afraid of buying sight unseen from where ever and then have it trucked to Florida. And I agree 100% about the 60K - 70K mile being what seems like a psychological mileage barrier for a lot of buyers. That's what put this bug in my head to begin with.

Originally Posted by Doug H
I really don't get the sound thing. Porsches have never really had that awesome, flat plane, race car like sound. I used to hot rod my air cooleds with cat by passes and primary or secondary bypasses, but they just sounded like hot rods and loud then.

I am more about the way a car handles, feels, drives and looks. The Turbo is and has always been the real deal on the Porsche line up. I am sure there are exceptions, but it seems for the most part that once guys dabble into the world of turbos . . . they never go back at least for daily drivers or street application. They may pick up GT3s for track duties or their weekend garage queen, but still stay in the turbos. They are they good and they look the part.

If you can, try and spend a weekend driving one. I think a 2009 997.1 tt with last of the Mezgers is perhaps the best deal going on Porsche cars right now and the last of the Mezgers would be a glorious place to start and perhaps end your foray into the workd of Porsche turbos.

If you want sound pick up a 355, 430 fr perhaps even a Gallardo or R8 for about the same price as a used turbo.
All relative and subjective. Just saying is that I never heard a turbo sound as pissed off as a NA Porsche with a modded exhaust. The Italians have a whole different tune going on. Higher pitched and kind of raspy. Have to say though that a Lambo Murcie I ended up behind a couple of years ago probably took first price. I have no idea what had been done to that thing but it sounded more like a B52 bomber than a street car. Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Okay, my previous post was tongue in cheek but here are my quick thoughts to add to the peanut gallery. Maybe I missed it but this is your daily driver right? If that's the case, I (blasphemously) think you should move on. Take the next couple months to find the right ride and list it in April when roads are driveable and people are looking for that fun summer sports car. Do the math to see if trading it in saves more on taxes than you would net selling it privately.

For DD, agree that the 997TT is really the way to go. Best grand tourer available sub $100k. You could consider switching to an Aston but then you have to deal with Aston reliability and you don't get to talk to us anymore.

If this is a weekend/special car and you can deal with two seats and two trunks, go with a GT4. GT4s are special with that GT3 derived suspension even if they only have a detuned Carrera S engine. Other 997 options for this usage and price point are the .1 GT3s and the .2 for a bit more coin.
Yes, daily driver but I work mostly out of my home office so I only put around 4K miles on it in a year. Maybe 5K in a busy year. Love the looks of the Aston Vantage but that whole package is a bit too refined for my likes which is the same reason I'm not wild about the 991. Would definitely consider a GT4 but as stated earlier, I'm 6'3" and don't fit in Caymans. Seat all the way back or almost all the way back with full recline, I just can't create a workable driving position in those cars.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:33 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I'd like to hear that. Have heard Turbos with all kinds of expensive exhaust mods and have yet to hear one that matches a NA car with a proper exhaust.
why bother trading it in? It will sell here quickly!

I agree on the turbo experience. I recently had a week with a friend's enthusiast-built C2S 991.2. Whoa. It killed my GT4 in every way imaginable (in terms of engine response). Simply amazing.

The GT4 with buckets is more responsive, feels like a smaller car, is tighter, and feels like you are going slower than the C2S at comparable speeds, but when it comes to engine responsiveness, the NA GT4 just doesn't make sense in a DD-type scenario. I can get the RPM's up, and enjoy doing so, but the C2S is so "right now" that you just never tire of it.

I love my GT4, and my 997.2 (since sold) but damn, the turbo response is intoxicating. Nostalgia and sound are the only reasons to go with an NA engine for the street. I suppose a track situation, where RPM's are always kept high, is different.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kg11
why bother trading it in? It will sell here quickly!.
Kind of what I thought but here we are, 4 pages, 50 posts and not one single purchase inquiry so it obviously needs to be posted in the marketplace to produce anything. It's a special car with some great mods so would rather having it go to a Rennlister than some clueless stranger on Auto trader or whatever.

Don't know about other states but in Florida you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade in value and the price of the car you're buying so even with an insulting trade in value, sometimes it can still make sense to trade if you run the numbers. Strong emphasis on sometimes.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:46 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Kind of what I thought but here we are, 4 pages, 50 posts and not one single purchase inquiry
that is because I just found this thread!!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 02:30 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Kind of what I thought but here we are, 4 pages, 50 posts and not one single purchase inquiry so it obviously needs to be posted in the marketplace to produce anything. It's a special car with some great mods so would rather having it go to a Rennlister than some clueless stranger on Auto trader or whatever.

Don't know about other states but in Florida you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade in value and the price of the car you're buying so even with an insulting trade in value, sometimes it can still make sense to trade if you run the numbers. Strong emphasis on sometimes.
if your car is well serviced and clean and you have a good DME report, you should do well on Bring a Trailer, better than tax savings plus trade in. Worst case, you will find out what market value is for the $100 listing.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:55 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like your car and think you should keep it unless there is something really special you have your eye on.

I saw your post on another thread mentioning how buyers do not value expensive carbon seats and lightweight forged wheels.

While unfortunate and somewhat nonsensical, it reinforces that everyone wants to marry a virgin.

Not a dig on your car in any way, more an affirmation of my experience selling and my preference when buying.

If you have or can source stock parts, you will probably come out ahead selling the upgrades, though there is time and hassle involved.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:44 PM
997GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack your post, Sandwedge. But I am on the same boat a you. I have a 11' GTS PDK just over 60K in miles. I love the car but just don't drive it enough these days. Really curious on what kind of $ they can bring. Subscribed to read all comments/opinions.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:16 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
if your car is well serviced and clean and you have a good DME report, you should do well on Bring a Trailer, better than tax savings plus trade in. Worst case, you will find out what market value is for the $100 listing.
Perfect service record with all receipts and clean Carfax. DME is a non issue on PDK cars. Cuts it off before any excess RPM. Thanks for the tip but I think I have a buyer for the car.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997GTS
Not to hijack your post, Sandwedge. But I am on the same boat a you. I have a 11' GTS PDK just over 60K in miles. I love the car but just don't drive it enough these days. Really curious on what kind of $ they can bring. Subscribed to read all comments/opinions.
Have talked to two dealers who both offered $50K for a trade deal. End of those discussions. Have a buyer now that I think I have a deal with close enough to my asking price. I've sold two other 997's before with after market wheels and exhausts but didn't get anywhere near the push back I'm getting on this and the mods on this are far more expensive than those on the previous ones. I'm baffled but the market is what it is. Lesson learned. Will never again get rid of (in my opinion) inferior OEM parts if I do any mods. Will let you know what I get out of this once it gets done.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rw229
I like your car and think you should keep it unless there is something really special you have your eye on.

I saw your post on another thread mentioning how buyers do not value expensive carbon seats and lightweight forged wheels.

While unfortunate and somewhat nonsensical, it reinforces that everyone wants to marry a virgin.

Not a dig on your car in any way, more an affirmation of my experience selling and my preference when buying.

If you have or can source stock parts, you will probably come out ahead selling the upgrades, though there is time and hassle involved.
This was brought up in the market place too and of course I've thought about it. As you say though, that's an awful lot of time and hassle to ship wheels and seats back and forth across the country and I just don't have the time or the enthusiasm for a project like that. No doubt I would come out ahead but I'm not sure the amount would be worth it once it was all said and done.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:59 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I've sold two other 997's before with after market wheels and exhausts but didn't get anywhere near the push back I'm getting on this and the mods on this are far more expensive than those on the previous ones. I'm baffled but the market is what it is..
Buyers are a lot more ambiguous toward cheaper mods because they don't cost enough to haggle over. Expense mods fall in the "I didn't really want that and I'm not going to pay for it" category.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:37 AM
drivrswntd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've sold two other 997's before with after market wheels and exhausts but didn't get anywhere near the push back I'm getting on this and the mods on this are far more expensive than those on the previous ones. I'm baffled but the market is what it is. Lesson learned. Will never again get rid of (in my opinion) inferior OEM parts if I do any mods. Will let you know what I get out of this once it gets done.
I recently just picked up my 997 but I tend to agree with you. If your car was for sale at the time when I was looking those GT2 buckets and Forgelines would have closed the deal for me! Instead It's going to cost me the 12-15k to get those items.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my GTS