Sponsored by:

Story Behind this Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 11:46 PM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Story Behind this Car?

I am hoping to get some insight on this car from anyone in the NY area that might have seen the car in person or have inquired about it. I reached out via email to see if I could be some feedback & have yet to get a response of any kind.
https://www.ryanfriedmanmotorcars.co...-gts-c-530.htm

I've been following this car for a while now. When they originally listed the car is showed pics of the backseat area & there were no seats there (pics have since been removed). It also looked as if there were holes in the side trim panels as if a roll cage or something was removed. Any RL'ers in the NY area taken a look at this car up close to see what the scoop is? I think it is over priced, but most of the cars from this dealer are specialty & he asks for the premium. I just want to know if the car was tracked & if the previous owner removed the seats.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:38 AM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NewtownGT3
I am hoping to get some insight on this car from anyone in the NY area that might have seen the car in person or have inquired about it. I reached out via email to see if I could be some feedback & have yet to get a response of any kind.
https://www.ryanfriedmanmotorcars.co...-gts-c-530.htm

I've been following this car for a while now. When they originally listed the car is showed pics of the backseat area & there were no seats there (pics have since been removed). It also looked as if there were holes in the side trim panels as if a roll cage or something was removed. Any RL'ers in the NY area taken a look at this car up close to see what the scoop is? I think it is over priced, but most of the cars from this dealer are specialty & he asks for the premium. I just want to know if the car was tracked & if the previous owner removed the seats.
Thanks in advance for any info.
If that one does not work out for you, see this post, PDK though.
"Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
A hell of a deal, if this car checks out!
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/m-Exclusive-Auto-Wholesale-sp348855#listing=225975190"
Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

That's crazy money for a GTS, by like $20k-$30k. If he did track it, he must have removed those seats as there's almost always a rub mark on the back of hardback seats from the harness bar or roll cage, and those look pristine. Have them send you an overrev report and then you'll know if it was tracked or not.

Really nice car just priced way out of range and the emblem change on the back is spaced or angled strangely.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:49 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

I think it's a $75k car. Very nice but very expensive at this ask, also.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:01 PM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by LISsailor
I think it's a $75k car. Very nice but very expensive at this ask, also.
I was thinking $80k max due to mileage & build, but the backseat issue has me concerned. Not necessarily the being tracked part, but just the fact that the seats are missing. I would think that at this type of $$ the car would be absolutely perfect.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:00 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

From another thread... This seems like a good deal... https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...+Black+5652789
Old 01-16-2019, 06:13 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
That's crazy money for a GTS, by like $20k-$30k. If he did track it, he must have removed those seats as there's almost always a rub mark on the back of hardback seats from the harness bar or roll cage, and those look pristine. Have them send you an overrev report and then you'll know if it was tracked or not.

Really nice car just priced way out of range and the emblem change on the back is spaced or angled strangely.
Why would you assume a tracked car has a lot of over revs? I’d say many over revs is an indication of someone who should not be driving a manual sports car. I tracked my 993’s for years without hitting the rev limiter.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 PM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by rickster997
From another thread... This seems like a good deal... https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...+Black+5652789
True...this does seem to be a good deal, just wrong color (have to have white) & wrong transmission.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911

Why would you assume a tracked car has a lot of over revs? I’d say many over revs is an indication of someone who should not be driving a manual sports car. I tracked my 993’s for years without hitting the rev limiter.
tracked cars typically show high revs. Range 1 and 2 is hitting the limiter, 3 and 4 a hard downshift. Someone who tracks a car hard trying to squeeze every tenth is going to be all over the limiter. Then there are mistakes that seem to sometimes just happen under intense circumstances with a helmet. I have quite a bit of seat time and if my S2k had a rev counter it wouldn’t be pretty.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:52 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgoetz

tracked cars typically show high revs. Range 1 and 2 is hitting the limiter, 3 and 4 a hard downshift. Someone who tracks a car hard trying to squeeze every tenth is going to be all over the limiter. Then there are mistakes that seem to sometimes just happen under intense circumstances with a helmet. I have quite a bit of seat time and if my S2k had a rev counter it wouldn’t be pretty.
+1

​​​​​​​Exactly the basis behind my comment. Thanks for responding as I missed the original question back to me. Did 993s even record overrevs to the DME? If not, how can you say you tracked a 993 and never overreved it - you'd have no idea about the 997 equivalent of range 1 and 2 overrevs. JK, what does the overrev report on your current 997 look like since I assume you track it too?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
+1

Exactly the basis behind my comment. Thanks for responding as I missed the original question back to me. Did 993s even record overrevs to the DME? If not, how can you say you tracked a 993 and never overreved it - you'd have no idea about the 997 equivalent of range 1 and 2 overrevs. JK, what does the overrev report on your current 997 look like since I assume you track it too?
I'm not sure whether the 993s recorded that data but I'd assume they did but I didn't have my Durametric yet. I do not put myself out there as a track expert at all. In my experience at the track and while driving around I can hear and feel when approaching the limit and clearly you can feel when the car stops accelerating. Under intense track conditions there would be no mistaking if I hit the rev limiter. I just don't/didn't do that and that was good enough for my skill set on street tires; my lap times were average compared to whatever run group I was in. My 997 had the typical over revs (when purchased) but that was before the FSI reconstruction and I have never had it on a track - before or after. My engine is much different now than stock its stock configuration generating maximum torque between 4000 and 6000 rpms so there is no reason to get close to red line. Again I'm no super skilled driver, however, I do not need to look at the tach to hear and feel where the engine is and it stays at or under 6k. Drive my car and you will understand.

Everyone has their own way of doing things and that is great. I would think that hitting the rev limiter at the track would really kill the momentum on a lap a produce poor times and it would not take long for drivers to figure that out. However, I never really had those types of conversations while tracking so perhaps that goes on a lot more than I realized. Down shifting is a good point and that scares the crap out of me to think I would miss a gear but it happens. Maybe I was just too slow. Thanks JW
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

No, when tracking hard you try to maximize shifting, so there are times I might bang the rev limiter because shifting then downshifting again would be slower. Also there are times I downshift and am going a touch too fast. Plus when I rev match I am certain I hit the limiter. So all that = high revs
Old 01-17-2019, 01:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I know there is a track junkie on here that has maxed out the range 1 overrevs at something like 15,000 but don't remember who it is. He uses the rev limiter to avoid a shift when approaching a certain corner as bgoetz describes, which then after the braking has him in the right gear to shoot out of it. Usually cars that are tracked have range 1 and 2s because the drivers are busy looking at the road, setting up their lines, and trying to run as fast as their abilities allow, so not really paying as much attention to the tach and why some lower range overrevs get logged.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:03 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

ROW version of GTS had rear seat delete as an option so not unusual to see some of these cars without rear seats.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:58 PM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
ROW version of GTS had rear seat delete as an option so not unusual to see some of these cars without rear seats.
Yes, I had consider this as a possibility, however the car was originally delivered out of a P dealer in Pennsylvania & has spent its entire life in the states.

Quick Reply: Story Behind this Car?