Off topic: New Canadian drinking law in Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:14 AM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Off topic: New Canadian drinking law in Jan 2019

Oh Dear Canada,
I thought my fellow Porsche enthusiast should know.
"The changes took effect last month, and the most obvious among them has been the removal of the requirement to establish a “reasonable suspicion” of alcohol consumption before police can demand a breath sample. Now, police can compel a motorist to blow into a breathalyzer at any time. Under the new law, someone can still be in violation up to two hours after driving. "
https://globalnews.ca/news/4838386/c...s-way-too-far/

Last edited by rmstar; 01-16-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 AM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

If you’re going to have a drink, don’t take the Porsche (or don’t drive at all).
Old 01-16-2019, 01:22 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Uber, FTW.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:46 AM
rmstar
Advanced

Originally Posted by LISsailor
If you’re going to have a drink, don’t take the Porsche (or don’t drive at all).
I always take a cab when go out for a drink or have a designated driver in the group.
However, if you read the law deeper, you will see the erosion of "innocent until proven guilty" that is what I wanted to point out. For example, you drive the car to the party, your partner is not drinking and drive you back home. Within 2 hours, the cop show up, for unknown reason, force you to take a breathalyzer test, you fail. Now you have to prove in court that you did not drive back and was not drinking before arriving at the party! OR, you didn't drink at the party, got home, finish a couple bottle of wine, cop show up, fail the test, now you need to prove you are innocent in court since the cop will not listen to your explanation.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:50 AM
rmstar
Advanced

Originally Posted by rw229
Uber, FTW.
BC do not have Uber/Lyft any car sharing yet. Yep, still living in stone age
Old 01-16-2019, 03:17 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by rmstar
I always take a cab when go out for a drink or have a designated driver in the group.
However, if you read the law deeper, you will see the erosion of "innocent until proven guilty" that is what I wanted to point out. For example, you drive the car to the party, your partner is not drinking and drive you back home. Within 2 hours, the cop show up, for unknown reason, force you to take a breathalyzer test, you fail. Now you have to prove in court that you did not drive back and was not drinking before arriving at the party! OR, you didn't drink at the party, got home, finish a couple bottle of wine, cop show up, fail the test, now you need to prove you are innocent in court since the cop will not listen to your explanation.
Pretty far fetched scenario you came up with there dont ya think? The cops are going to be following people around and waiting outside their house for 2 hrs and then ask for breathalyzer tests??
Old 01-16-2019, 03:21 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So in Canada, the police can enter your home at any time and force you to take a breathalyzer test?

Originally Posted by rmstar
Old 01-16-2019, 07:48 AM
grevegti
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Implied consent law...welcome to America.....in Canada
Old 01-16-2019, 07:50 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
So in Canada, the police can enter your home at any time and force you to take a breathalyzer test?
NOPE!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Honestly, I think this is irrelevant ..... as a practical matter. Police will do what they want and declare evidence as they need it. It happened to me. I was at a local bar listening to a band with a friend.... I had a fever... I did not drink a drop. About 1/2 mile from the bar, I was pulled over and given a sobriety test.... cop said I was weaving. How do you weave going 25 mph? He let me go. But I am not amused. They do what they want. Some of them at least.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-16-2019, 06:54 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Honestly, I think this is irrelevant ..... as a practical matter. Police will do what they want and declare evidence as they need it. It happened to me. I was at a local bar listening to a band with a friend.... I had a fever... I did not drink a drop. About 1/2 mile from the bar, I was pulled over and given a sobriety test.... cop said I was weaving. How do you weave going 25 mph? He let me go. But I am not amused. They do what they want. Some of them at least.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
A truer post was never written. The NYS (Gestopo) Police do whatever they want here and get away with it - the courts believe everything they say. The lawsuits and investigations into their behavior are legendary. Sorry off topic just ranting.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

People run from the cops. They get your license plate number and may even get a pretty good view of the driver. Driver gets away or runs on foot after stopping or wrecking. Cops go to your house and find you there drunk. Now they can test your BAC up to 2 hours after the incident. This is the more likely scenario.

As for pulling you over wihout cause, that’s bull$hit.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

“As for pulling you over wihout cause, that’s bull$hit.”

What a naive statement. In NYS LE will pull you over for any reason or no reason. They just invent something. How about the famous “Your inspection sticker is supposed to be displayed to the left of the registration sticker. Yours are reversed”. And then the road block where everyone is being pulled over for a safety “check”. And they give you the, “where are you coming from?” and “where are you going?” And the poor schlep that says I just had dinner at the local pub. Then they ask about drinks and he’s out of the car in ten seconds getting a sobriety test.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:26 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Why isn't this in OT/PC?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Statist gonna state.

Quick Reply: Off topic: New Canadian drinking law in Jan 2019