Sponsored by:

Looping door open sequence

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:24 AM
HAAANK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looping door open sequence

This has happened maybe 3 times since I purchased the 997.1 back in November and again this morning. It’s my DD as long as weather permits (no snow or ice).

This morning it happened again: I open the door to enter the DS and the window lowers as normal but immediately raises then lowers again and raises and repeats until I tap the window switch on the door. It also sounds as if the door locking mechanism is repeatedly engaging, could simply be the window mech making noise.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? Any solutions?

Apologies if this has been covered, I didn’t have great luck on the search.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:18 PM
Vethen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HAAANK
This has happened maybe 3 times since I purchased the 997.1 back in November and again this morning. It’s my DD as long as weather permits (no snow or ice).

This morning it happened again: I open the door to enter the DS and the window lowers as normal but immediately raises then lowers again and raises and repeats until I tap the window switch on the door. It also sounds as if the door locking mechanism is repeatedly engaging, could simply be the window mech making noise.

is it possible that the spring for the interior door handle is weak and the mechanism is lightly pressing on the micro switch, causing the window to drop and raise as it wiggles?
Old 01-13-2019, 06:55 PM
Cramp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have this same issue...Took it to my guy and they spent the better part of half a day messing with it, took the door apart, inspected the handle, etc. and we walked away shaking our heads. It is very annoying as it only started happening after I got window tint.

The interesting thing was that it seems to work appropriately after the engine is on. Battery tests fine also btw.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:57 PM
HAAANK
Track Day

Originally Posted by Vethen

is it possible that the spring for the interior door handle is weak and the mechanism is lightly pressing on the micro switch, causing the window to drop and raise as it wiggles?
hmmm maybe. I’m not great at electronics but this is happening upon entry and typically first thing in the morning.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

How's the battery? These things are pretty picky about the battery health and as the battery ages all kinds of weird things start happening.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

you might have bad stops on your window regulator which means a new motor regulator or perhaps the stop positions need to be relearned.. See if there is a window stop home position learning procedure, if not im guessing its your window motor regulator.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:35 AM
HAAANK
Track Day

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
How's the battery? These things are pretty picky about the battery health and as the battery ages all kinds of weird things start happening.
I’ll check it out, I know that it’s a southern spec battery and I’m up in northern Ohio. I know that affects start up, not sure if it affects health.

Thanks for the tip
Old 01-14-2019, 12:35 AM
HAAANK
Track Day

Originally Posted by aaks38
you might have bad stops on your window regulator which means a new motor regulator or perhaps the stop positions need to be relearned.. See if there is a window stop home position learning procedure, if not im guessing its your window motor regulator.

I’ll look into that. Sounds promising.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:50 AM
SoCalMark
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HAAANK

Sounds like one of the microswitches is sticking or going bad. You may want to try lubricating them. The door panel has to come off to get to most of them. I had this problem with my 996.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

I bet you the tint shop took the interior door panel off in order to be able to tuck the tint behind the window squeegee and when they put it back on, they didn't get the inside handle properly aligned with the door spear. If the took the panel all the way off where they removed the inside mechanism that the inside release handle attaches too, they didn't reinstall and adjust it properly.

If you get inside the car and close the door, then lightly fiddle with the inside door handle, does the window do its up and down dance. There's a pin molded into the back of that door handle that goes through a tiny little hole in the door spear and contacts a microswitch. If it's not contacting well, it thinks you're pulling the handle from the inside and drops the window.

Because this started happening after the tint job, I'm betting that's your issue.

Quick Reply: Looping door open sequence