Sponsored by:

Coilover Choice for 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 12:38 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Coilover Choice for 997.2

Been looking to change out my stock suspension for coilovers (not a fan of replacing just the springs). My plan is to run about 4-5 HPDEs per year (for this year. It might increase if I can find more time). I’m not too concerned about cost, if they are the right choice. However, $10k for Penske is not a choice I would make. $6k is my limit I guess. I have PASM, but I’m not too concerned about losing it for the proper setup. From what I’ve read PASM doesn’t work quick enough for the track. Here is the list I came up with.

Olins Road & Track
JRZ RS Pro Sport
JRZ RS Pro 3
KW Clubsport 3-way
KW Clubsport 2-way

With only 4-5 track times per year, is 3-way overkill? I’ve got to think long term. Don’t want to buy again.

Thanks for any input.

Matt
Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM
EG997C2
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I happen to have a killer setup for sale way under your budged. And just noticed you're in Ohio too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...t2-c2-c2s.html
The following users liked this post:
lostdog (01-24-2021)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:48 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sure what problem you are trying to solve especially for 4-5 DEs/year. MCS makes excellent product but you have to look at suspension as a system approach... sway bars, tire setup, alignment, bushings, spring rates,.. driver's input and experience. You open up entire new setup where everything works as a system. I would talk to your shop first.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Why not the DSC system? A fraction of the cost and can custom program the settings for track and street. What dont you like about the existing set up?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:05 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kisik
Not sure what problem you are trying to solve especially for 4-5 DEs/year. MCS makes excellent product but you have to look at suspension as a system approach... sway bars, tire setup, alignment, bushings, spring rates,.. driver's input and experience. You open up entire new setup where everything works as a system. I would talk to your shop first.
My first task is to lower the car, and if I’m touching the suspension, I would rather go coilovers than just springs. My second is IF I’m going to get coilovers, get a set that will work as my experience grows. I don’t want to spend a few thousand on simple coilovers, then want 2-way or 3-way later. And yes the setup will continue to grow (links, bars, bushings,etc.). That’s all.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:25 PM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

I run the ohlins r&t and am happy with it. But based on your options now, I’d go with the mcs one in the classifieds as my first choice. The jrz rs pro would be my second choice. Lot more adjustability which comes at a higher cost but worth every penny in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:32 AM
drivrswntd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up an 06 C2S and am in a similar position. I used to Instruct for PCA about 10 years ago, had kids, dropped the fun car and am now just getting back into it. Hoping to start with 4-5 days this year and build back up. How much experience do you have with suspension tuning? Is there a local shop that is familiar with one of those brands? It’s a lot to invest on shocks if you don’t have the support for them and it could actually make you slower.

Im taking a different approach and building a solid foundation first. I am collecting a ton of parts for spring time including RSS Front LCA’s, solid rear upper dog bones, rear toe adjusters with lock out plates, front and rear gt3/gt2 sway bars with drop links, H&R springs for now for altitude adjustment, and then upgrading to slotted rotors and a proper pad with gt3 fender liners and cooling ducts throughout. This is going to allow me to get a proper track alignment and get good camber out of the front and rear, stiffen up and minimize suspension movement due to rubber. Not going to have any unsettled rear movement under braking, and the car will have proper braking and cooling as well. From there I’ll then work with a shop as I progress back into the game and determine what the proper full 2/3 way setup should be.

everything I mentioned above can be done for under 6k and I feel would be a much better approach then jumping straight into a complicated Coilovers system.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

Don't give up your PASM, buy coilovers that are compatible with TPCs DSC box and then utilize PASM the way Porsche should've, as a fully active and dynamic suspension system based on g-forces and other parameters.

There are 2 choices for you - Bilstein Damptronics (what I have) or TPC's Tractive DDA coilovers. You can make the Bilsteins react in larger jumps (faster) by how you program the parameters in the DSC box.

Wish you were closer as of take you for a ride and blow your mind. I installed a nose lift kit at the same time, which is the black airbag section you see at the top of the coilover, underneath the Tarret Monoball top mount, along with an RSS Stage 2 kit.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Matt,

I too would recommend the DDA Tractive setup from TPC. Since you have the PASM in the car now adding the control box and their coil-overs will give the best of both worlds with cutting edge suspension technology. If you want to adjust the ride height you need new springs or a coil-over setup. The PASM system lets you use a softer spring to give you better road manners and the speed of the Tractive dampeners mades the softer spring rate act stiffer on the track. I run the stock Sport PASM setup with the TPC roll bars and the DSC controller and the car is fantastic on the track. This summer I hope to add the coil overs.

Lots of flavors out there and from your list you will not go wrong with those set ups, I just think the PASM setup is a great start and building off that tech makes the most sense.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:05 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Don’t some of these coilovers have significantly accelerated service schedules compared to other options?

Per Presto... “As per the manual the ohlins do have to be serviced every 30,000 kms (18,650 miles) of road use or 10-20 hrs of track time. Service includes changing the oil, seals etc.” - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-r-and-t.html
Old 01-13-2019, 07:29 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drivrswntd
I just picked up an 06 C2S and am in a similar position. I used to Instruct for PCA about 10 years ago, had kids, dropped the fun car and am now just getting back into it. Hoping to start with 4-5 days this year and build back up. How much experience do you have with suspension tuning? Is there a local shop that is familiar with one of those brands? It’s a lot to invest on shocks if you don’t have the support for them and it could actually make you slower.

Im taking a different approach and building a solid foundation first. I am collecting a ton of parts for spring time including RSS Front LCA’s, solid rear upper dog bones, rear toe adjusters with lock out plates, front and rear gt3/gt2 sway bars with drop links, H&R springs for now for altitude adjustment, and then upgrading to slotted rotors and a proper pad with gt3 fender liners and cooling ducts throughout. This is going to allow me to get a proper track alignment and get good camber out of the front and rear, stiffen up and minimize suspension movement due to rubber. Not going to have any unsettled rear movement under braking, and the car will have proper braking and cooling as well. From there I’ll then work with a shop as I progress back into the game and determine what the proper full 2/3 way setup should be.

everything I mentioned above can be done for under 6k and I feel would be a much better approach then jumping straight into a complicated Coilovers system.
That sounds like a more sensible approach. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Don't give up your PASM, buy coilovers that are compatible with TPCs DSC box and then utilize PASM the way Porsche should've, as a fully active and dynamic suspension system based on g-forces and other parameters.

There are 2 choices for you - Bilstein Damptronics (what I have) or TPC's Tractive DDA coilovers. You can make the Bilsteins react in larger jumps (faster) by how you program the parameters in the DSC box.

Wish you were closer as of take you for a ride and blow your mind. I installed a nose lift kit at the same time, which is the black airbag section you see at the top of the coilover, underneath the Tarret Monoball top mount, along with an RSS Stage 2 kit.

Unfortunately, I’ve been up and down, front and back on this forum and others, and have not found any good things said about the Dampteonic system on the track. Would have added it to the line up if it weren’t for that.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
Unfortunately, I’ve been up and down, front and back on this forum and others, and have not found any good things said about the Dampteonic system on the track. Would have added it to the line up if it weren’t for that.
I don't think Damptronic is bad. They are made by Bilstein which is OE damper supplier for Porsche for GT2, GT2RS, GT3, GT3RS, and the mighty RS 4.0. There's shared technology in the dampers. It is of my opinion that Damptronic may have gotten a bad rep because they were the first aftermarket electronic coilovers to the market(over a decade ago) and for better half of a decade the only, which by today's track standards the spring rates chosen were on the softer side, which I guess they were selected for the lowest denominator of their range of targeted buyers. We installed a lot of them back in those early years, and it helped A LOT pairing with stiffer springs and TPC sway bars to supplement the roll stiffness. For a while there wasn't a way to control the damping force besides pushing the button to change from Normal to Sport via the factory PASM controller, for better or worst...the bounciness.

In 2010, enter DSC, a device that can actively controls the damping force and its user programmable. DSC took these dampers and OE PASM dampers to a new level of performance. They are still not in the same class as Tractive ,as IMO they were never intended to be, but a good performance-to-dollar value at internet warehouse price. Another words, Damptronics + stiffer springs + DSC can match the damping performance of a GT3 with DSC, minus the rest of the car.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:45 PM
mjdcolo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
... Another words, Damptronics + stiffer springs + DSC can match the damping performance of a GT3 with DSC, minus the rest of the car.
Lol! And the price tag to go with a GT3!

Thanks for that perspective, Tom. I don’t recall any of the reviews made of damptronics being paired with DSC. looks like I may need to do some more research.

Matt
Old 01-29-2019, 01:57 AM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any place that has the Damptronics in stock? Seems like they are no longer available.

Quick Reply: Coilover Choice for 997.2