Will 992 cause 997 and 996 pricing to drop? - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

Will 992 cause 997 and 996 pricing to drop?

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will 992 cause 997 and 996 pricing to drop?

Old 01-10-2019, 04:11 AM
  #46  
powahousealex
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 52
Default

My best advice if your main concern is pricing decline,Then find a auto broker and purchase from a auction (dont think 992's will be available just yet). I have a dealer license and i purchased my 997.2S 2010 with 19 k miles 3 years ago for under 40k (manheim) cash. So it is all about waiting and using your resources accurately so you can meet your expectations .
powahousealex is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:15 AM
  #47  
captainbaker
User
 
captainbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,137
Default

Originally Posted by ttreat View Post
Talk about spreading the hate...Since when is the 997 smaller than a 996? I prefer my 997.2 to my last 996 but in no way is it smaller.
You got me, the 997 is not smaller than the 996, my mistake. IMHO it has better curves, an interior that fosters a proper 911 linage and is an all around better 911. Ive owned a bunch of 911 and could not get rid of my old 996 fast enough.

Not spreading hate, we both ditched a 996 for a 997. I would consider going back to a 964 but never a 996. On another note, I would also consider a 991 as my driving habits mature with age but wont buy one for now as its declining in value and the 997s are holding. If you have anything above a 997 4S, they are creeping up in value. Thats what i love about 911's. If you buy smart, you can own a 911 for free and sometimes make a small profit.

Last edited by captainbaker; 01-10-2019 at 05:32 AM.
captainbaker is online now  
Old 01-10-2019, 03:11 PM
  #48  
docdrs
User
 
docdrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada 2011 C4S
Posts: 841
Default

Yes! The 992 will cause the prices to drop om the 997 and 996. As well as just about every other vehicle too. Do you actually think the prices will go up?
docdrs is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:46 AM
  #49  
SpeedyD
User
 
SpeedyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 828
Default

The 997 is a more taut, focused machine than the 991. It is less GT-like and more sports-car oriented. The 911 has been evolving to be more GT like with nearly every iteration. For me the perfect generations would be the 993 and 997.2 (overall).

Newer doesn't mean better and 997.2 prices have actually been increasing over the past couple of years (for same mileage car). I can cross-shop any of the cars (991, 992, etc) but have no interest in the post-997 models at the moment (other than some of the GT variants) because the balance has shifted to be too GT for my tastes. It doesn't mean a 997 is the be-all, end-all, but it is noticeably better than a 991 for a sporting feel overall.

As for dimensions etc, yes the 991 is a larger car overall. That has been the trend. Even if it wasn't physically larger (which it is) the fact that it appears larger is a major turn-off for many.

997.2 in particular will be a car coveted in the future, along with 993 generation (which already is).
SpeedyD is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 PM
  #50  
Ben Z
User
 
Ben Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,200
Default

The newest 997.1's are 11 years old, and most cars that age have either stopped depreciating or slowed to a crawl. That's especially true of Porsches as a disproportionate number of them tend to have relatively low miles and been taken well care of, AND the basic shape is still very recognizable and iconic, AND the price of new ones went up significantly with the 991 and again with the 992. I don't see any factual reason to believe 997 prices will drop significantly unless there's a major recession. The biggest hit will be to the 991 because it's newer and therefore not as far along its depreciation curve, and the supply of mint, low-mileage ones is greater than that of 997's. All just IMO of course.
Ben Z is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 PM
  #51  
vern1
Super User
 
vern1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,817
Default

Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
The 997 is a more taut, focused machine than the 991. It is less GT-like and more sports-car oriented. The 911 has been evolving to be more GT like with nearly every iteration. For me the perfect generations would be the 993 and 997.2 (overall).

Newer doesn't mean better and 997.2 prices have actually been increasing over the past couple of years (for same mileage car). I can cross-shop any of the cars (991, 992, etc) but have no interest in the post-997 models at the moment (other than some of the GT variants) because the balance has shifted to be too GT for my tastes. It doesn't mean a 997 is the be-all, end-all, but it is noticeably better than a 991 for a sporting feel overall.

As for dimensions etc, yes the 991 is a larger car overall. That has been the trend. Even if it wasn't physically larger (which it is) the fact that it appears larger is a major turn-off for many.

997.2 in particular will be a car coveted in the future, along with 993 generation (which already is).
Haha was waiting for you to jump in to keep the myth going - well done !!
vern1 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 PM
  #52  
C4SDayton
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 134
Default

Excellent low mileage 996 and 997 cars will hold price and perhaps go up in several years especially the limited edition models, well optioned PTS cars, TT manuals, GTS, GT3, X50 optioned turbos, X51 optioned cars, 40 Jahre, etc. Cars that don't have an all gray or beige interior and the ones that came with interesting color like poop brown or cobalt should do better.
C4SDayton is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:14 AM
  #53  
captainbaker
User
 
captainbaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,137
Default

Originally Posted by vern1 View Post
Haha was waiting for you to jump in to keep the myth going - well done !!
At this point, the only 911 series to have taken a big hit and not bounce back, was the 996. Every other 991 variant has bottomed out or is going up sans the 991, which will go down for a while and.......? The 997 is for sure at the bottom of the curve but I see it as holding and the bespoke models climbing.
captainbaker is online now  
Old 01-12-2019, 03:54 AM
  #54  
sandwedge
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sandwedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,155
Default

Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
Yes! The 992 will cause the prices to drop om the 997 and 996. As well as just about every other vehicle too. Do you actually think the prices will go up?
The introduction of the 991 actually seemed to stabilize the value of my 997 GTS and may even have added some slight appreciation. I have no idea what the 992 will do but it doesn't look different enough from the 991 that I expect anything dramatic. A lot of 997 owners seem to have a strong dislike for the 991/992 GT like platform.

Based on some random research and some phone calls I've made out of curiosity I can trade my 2011 997 GTS for a 2015 991 GTS with near identical options and less than half the mileage by writing a check for a pretty insignificant amount. And that's just looking in the immediate region.
sandwedge is online now  
Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 PM
  #55  
SToronto
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,412
Default

Originally Posted by vern1
Haha was waiting for you to jump in to keep the myth going - well done !!
I think he has some points for sure.

Also agree that 997 buyers are not cross shopping 992. Completely different cars and price points. Unless somebody is debating old versus new. I debated 993 or my 997.2, went new with 997.2. Never considered 996.

I don't think 992 hitting the street will impact 997 values in any drastic way.
SToronto is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 03:26 PM
  #56  
vern1
Super User
 
vern1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,817
Default

Originally Posted by SToronto View Post
I think he has some points for sure.

Also agree that 997 buyers are not cross shopping 992. Completely different cars and price points. Unless somebody is debating old versus new. I debated 993 or my 997.2, went new with 997.2. Never considered 996.

I don't think 992 hitting the street will impact 997 values in any drastic way.
Oh I agree he has some points!! Was just laughing at the size comment re the 991/997.
vern1 is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 07:29 PM
  #57  
ogun228
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ogun228's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montclair, NJ
Posts: 420
Default

Here are my 2Cts: Over the last 3 months, I have not seen a single used 997
for sale at my local dealership, one of the largest in my state. At my usual monthly
Sunday visit, the oldest used 911 was a 2015. Most used 911 were base Carreras.
None was price lower than 83k ('15 Carrera PDK). There were 3 S's priced above 90K ( 2015 and 2016)
I am betting that supply and demand for an affordable (subjective as I have no plans to plunk 90k$ on a car anytime soon)
and relatively sought after 997 will at a minimum keep prices steady. Low mileage and perceived desirability of certain
models (GTS, manuals etc) will push prices up. A check on the PCA market place showed no decline in asking prices and less 997's for sale.
Check the prices of the 992 series. The Washington Post had a blurb saying that a well optioned new C2S
can approach 200k$.
ogun228 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 02:24 AM
  #58  
sandwedge
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sandwedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,155
Default

Originally Posted by ogun228 View Post
Here are my 2Cts: Over the last 3 months, I have not seen a single used 997
for sale at my local dealership, one of the largest in my state. At my usual monthly
Sunday visit, the oldest used 911 was a 2015. Most used 911 were base Carreras.
None was price lower than 83k ('15 Carrera PDK). There were 3 S's priced above 90K ( 2015 and 2016)
I am betting that supply and demand for an affordable (subjective as I have no plans to plunk 90k$ on a car anytime soon)
and relatively sought after 997 will at a minimum keep prices steady. Low mileage and perceived desirability of certain
models (GTS, manuals etc) will push prices up. A check on the PCA market place showed no decline in asking prices and less 997's for sale.
Check the prices of the 992 series. The Washington Post had a blurb saying that a well optioned new C2S
can approach 200k$
.
Which makes me hope my GTS will hold up to 200,000 miles.
sandwedge is online now  
Old 01-15-2019, 07:24 AM
  #59  
fat_louis
User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Silly-Con Valley
Posts: 37
Default

A lot of very good comments. I had some similar thoughts the other day. Looking at how expensive the 992 is (ok you do get the PDK standard now) I was wondering if it would slow the depreciation of 997.2. That being said, the cars appeal to different people. I personally like to look at the engine and do some work myself on a car. I don't like the idea of having to remove a bumper to change air filters for example. Additionally, I hate depreciation. People who buy the new 992 likely want the latest and greatest and have the money to pay for it. The 996 and 991.1 do nothing for me. I actually think the 991.2 will be the new 997.2 in some ways. BTW is it just me or why does it take Porsche a mid cycle refresh to get things right? You would think they would have focus groups to tell them in the first place if something is not kosher. What kills me on the 991.1 are the front turn signals. That little extra downward tab on the outer most portion really gets me like the fried egg headlights get me on the 996s. Anyway grateful to have a porsche I love.
fat_louis is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 09:26 AM
  #60  
Doug H
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Doug H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Destin, Nashville, In a 430 Challenge at location near you
Posts: 2,856
Default

Different market, different cars and not impact any time in the next 7 or 8 years. After that . . . it will just depend on the general popularity and desirability of the 992 which simply cannot be gaged at this time despite many's efforts to shoot it down before anyone has an idea as to how well the car will do in the future.

992 will have zero impact, positive or negative on 997 prices for at least 6 or 7 years.
Doug H is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: