Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991C2S cabrio - soften the ride?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 04:30 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 991C2S cabrio - soften the ride?

I've got a 2011 911 C2S convertible I bought last year. It's at just over 60k miles now, all running good. It has PDK and sport plus/chrono with the PASM. Stock wheels, stock tire sizes (Pilot Sports).

I'm having lower back issues and wouldn't mind making the ride a little more compliant. Oddly enough, the base seats, despite being hard as rocks and lacking adjustments, have a lot of support and good angles for me. If I could get the ride a little more supple, I'd be pretty happy.

Not sure what, if anything might help. Most of the aftermarket parts are designed to make things more rigid and sporty, not supple and compliant.

Was wondering about the PASM shocks. They're not showing a lack of damping, but at 60k, don't know how much wear might have affected them. I'd also imagine they're outrageously expensive. Or tires, perhaps wheel sizes. I can't say the existing tires are bad at all.

May consider selling the car, but I like it. Cars can be super hard on my lower back. The seats in the Porsche are good for me, some cars are just brutal though. I had an SL400 before and those are good seats for me too. My wife's BMW is just murder though.

Thoughts?

Old 01-05-2019, 05:08 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

I noticed the most difference in my 996 going to smaller rims. 997.2 you can get 18’s OEM
Old 01-05-2019, 05:32 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a thread about a solution offered by, I think, TPC or an outfit like this
and it has gotten very good reviews here. Try serches.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Try dropping the tire pressure a few pounds and see if that helps, if so try 18" wheels as they would come with bigger side wall tires
Old 01-05-2019, 05:40 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is the thread:"https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/888730-dsc-sport-tuning-software-discussion-thread.html".

The company is DSC. Let us know of your experience if you decide to go that way.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:45 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Good find!

I looked it up, $1200 for the module. Installation is a literally snap-in. I'll enquire with the manufacturer if it will do what I'm looking for.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 PM
kmetros
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb
Good find!

I looked it up, $1200 for the module. Installation is a literally snap-in. I'll enquire with the manufacturer if it will do what I'm looking for.
This is the best mod you can make to your car. The difference is night and day. It’s as Porsche should have delivered them from the factory.

Tell them what’s going on and they can make normal ride mode even softer for you right out of the box.

Kurt
Old 01-08-2019, 03:19 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

+1 on the DSC and lowering tire pressure. These are the two things that came to mind as well.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Go to 18’s and install Eibach springs. Problem solved.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

The DSC will soften the ride to softest you can go with your springs. I have the module, takes 5 mnts to install, no tools.... stupid easy. If you don't like it, 5 mnts to remove and then resell on Rennlist.

Read my review here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-opinion.html

I personally find their softest setting a bit too soft.... the controller controls the shocks not the springs. DSC loweres the adjustment value to its lowest setting at slow speeds and low g force among other inputs. Given the S has pretty stiff springs, the car can bounce or get floaty over humps in the road. Some don't see this as a problem, I do. So I keep it in sport mode... even this is softer than stock.

I highly recommend this product.

Otherwise, you will need to buy springs.... changing shocks won;t work as the DSC puts the Porsche shocks into their least setting and this is softer than I think any shock should be given the stiff springs.

You could move to 18" wheels..... this is a standard Porsche wheel size and the side wall of the tire gets higher (circumference of the total wheel/tire does not change). This will soften the ride a slight bit. I have 19" for the summer and 18" for the winter and tell the difference. However I doubt the wheel change will get you where you need to be with your back. The DSC is the ticket.... and a lower cost low risk alternative to new wheels and tires.

BTW: I keep bending these 19" wheels.... I suspect I will buy 18" wheels and tires for summer when these tires where out... I've been threatening to do this forever.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: 991C2S cabrio - soften the ride?