Sponsored by:

Snow Chains - anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Psychopoodle
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snow Chains - anyone tried it?

Some may call it insane, but I daily my C2S here in CO winters and sometimes chains are a requirement on our highways for non-AWD passenger vehicles. I dont intentionally try to drive mountain passes during blizzards, but it would be nice carry a set of chains just in case I get caught somewhere. Does anyone have experience with the Porsche Tequipment chains, or better yet, aftermarket alternatives? The Tequipment chains are $795 on Suncoast which seems absurd. Thx
Old 01-09-2019, 02:12 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Les Schwab has them on special order for <$200 when I last checked. Didn't get too deep into if they are low profile but I assume they would fit fine. With Les Schwabs return policy there is no risk.

Otherwise they just released autosocks in the our rear tire size finally. Can get them on amazon for $100 shipped. Link

Old 01-09-2019, 02:19 PM
Psychopoodle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kellen
Les Schwab has them on special order for <$200 when I last checked. Didn't get too deep into if they are low profile but I assume they would fit fine. With Les Schwabs return policy there is no risk.

Otherwise they just released autosocks in the our rear tire size finally. Can get them on amazon for $100 shipped. Link

Good intel, thx. That price range for chains is a lot more justifiable for something I might use once per season, if that!
Autosock looks interesting and apparently meets the legal requirement her as well. Wonder which one is actually more effective.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:22 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Psychopoodle
Good intel, thx. That price range for chains is a lot more justifiable for something I might use once per season, if that!
Autosock looks interesting and apparently meets the legal requirement her as well. Wonder which one is actually more effective.
I figure if I truly need chains I'm not taking the 911, so the auto socks are a good back up if really needed. Reviews are good on them, just not applicable to a 911.

I think the biggest downside is they can rip/tear.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Psychopoodle
Intermediate

Gotcha. Yeah, agree, this is only for an emergency where the weather changes and I need to get back home.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Howdy neighbor. I daily drive my C4S and don't think it is crazy to daily a C2S here. They have great traction on snow with proper tires.

These rules have only been in effect a few years, but I'm glad we did finally put them in place.

The code in question is below in case others are curious. It is similar to California's code. I live along the I-70 corridor which seems to be closed most often and I've never seen a road go to Code 16. I've only seen Code 15 or Closed. Perhaps Code 16 is put in effect in the southern mountains more often, but I've never seen it on US-24, US-285, US-40, US-50, CO-9, CO-94, I-25 or I-70. I've driven all of them in Code 15 or been caught out in a closure. The law for Code 15 is M+S OR 4WD with 1/8" tread OR Chains/Autosock for insufficient tires. If you are using the sottozero winter tire you are in compliance with Code 15.

I don't have experience with the Tequipment chains but can't say I'd be eager to use them for risk of damage. Especially since the rear fender is open into the engine compartment. Plus the clearance is so low under the car that I think you'd be high centered if Code 16 were actually in effect. I've driven on some Code 15 days in the past that I think might have high centered my C4S. However if you don't run a winter tire, I suppose the autosock would seem less risky to me and would keep you in compliance.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/TractionLaw

Traction Law (Code 15)

During an active Traction Law (also known as a Code 15), motorists must have either snow tires, tires with the mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle. All tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread. You can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren't adequate.
  • Find out if your tires meet the minimum one-eighth inch tread requirement by taking the Quarter Test.

Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (Code 16)

During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (also known as a Code 16). This is the final safety measure before the highway is closed.When the Passenger Vehicle Chain Law is in effect, every vehicle on the roadway must have chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock).

Quick Reply: Snow Chains - anyone tried it?