Another No start problem video attached

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:53 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another No start problem video attached

Hey guys!

Before I attempt replacing the starter as my logical next step to solve this problem that is driving me crazy. I have already replaced the battery 2 times and confirmed my battery is in perfect working condition.

Looking at attached video and before wasting my time replace a component that is not causing the problem, would you consider the issue I am facing to be a motor starter problem?

My car is a 997.2 and I was told I don't have the infamous voltage cable problem that 997.1 guys usually would see.

Last edited by onsickm; 02-01-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:45 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Did you test the starter with a voltmeter?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:39 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Did you test the starter with a voltmeter?
what is the proper way to do it?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:23 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

If it were me, I'd disconnect the battery then check all the connections (positive and ground) from battery to the starter. If all are secure then checking the starter is next. What makes you think ignition switch is sound?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:42 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by swingwing
If it were me, I'd disconnect the battery then check all the connections (positive and ground) from battery to the starter. If all are secure then checking the starter is next. What makes you think ignition switch is sound?
All connections are secure. I have now access to starter and there is 12.4V coming to positive terminal of starter.

Can I apply battery to solenoid terminal to test starter while ignition is off? would I cause harm if it crank?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:45 PM
swingwing
Pro

I recommend you not do that. I think you're looking at replacing the starter. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:51 PM
onsickm
Instructor

I recommend you not do that. I think you're looking at replacing the starter. Don't forget to disconnect the battery first.
The problem is I am not sure if the starter is what is causing the issue that's why I want to test it first before replacing it.

Is it ok if I try to start car with intake is out and air hoses are not connected then measure via voltmeter if +12V is going to solenoid when trying to start car? since problem is intermittent, it might actually start the car
Old 01-05-2019, 01:09 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Just Bump Start it Dude :-)

J/K.... don't do that.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 AM
swingwing
Pro

If you've verified voltage at the starter and engine doesn't crank, then I think you're at replacing the starter.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

You've got a voltage problem. See how the warning lights in the dash all come on and then as soon as you turn the key, the complete dash goes dark. That's an indicator of a battery that is heavily discharged or a major cable being loose or corroded. You say this is the 3rd battery. I bet if you fully charge the battery or jump start it with a second battery that it starts fine and it's not the starter. Looks like you may have a parasitic drain that's heavily depleting the battery when parked.

Any aftermarket electronics installed, like stereo, BT, track data loggers, radar detector, etc? If so, they may be installed on a constant 12v circuit instead of a switched one.

Last edited by Petza914; 01-05-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:50 AM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
You've got a voltage problem. See how the warning lights in the dash all come on and then as soon as you turn the key, the complete dash goes dark. That's an indicator of a battery that is heavily discharged or a major cable being loose or corroded. You say this is the 3rd battery. I bet if you fully charge the battery or jump start it with a second battery that it starts fine and it's not the starter. Looks like you may have a parasitic drain that's heavily depleting the battery when parked.

Any aftermarket electronics installed, like stereo, BT, track data loggers, radar detector, etc? If so, they may be installed on a constant 12v circuit instead of a switched one.
I don't have parasitic drain. I measured current when car is asleep and it is around 35mA which is perfect from what I've read.
I leave car on battery tender so everytime I want to start it, battery is fully charged. I highly doubt I have a voltage problem as it is not common on 997.2
I do agree though on why dash goes off when trying to start car. I thought that's normal as it preserve electricity for car to be started.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

What is the battery voltage when trying to start? The static voltage is 12.4 but what is it while engaging the starter? Does the solenoid click?

I would try the jumpstart trick and see if it starts or at least turns over. Its also possible the 12v cable to the starter is failing. Unable to support the full load of the starter motor.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:09 PM
onsickm
Instructor

If you've verified voltage at the starter and engine doesn't crank, then I think you're at replacing the starter.
Originally Posted by Petza914

I just measured voltage at starter and it is reading 10.99V and at battery terminal, it is 12.4V. Is this normal?
I checked cable between starter and alternator. It is very well connected with no rust/corrosion or anything. My engine bay is extremely clean and no rust on any metal surface.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:11 PM
onsickm
Instructor

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
What is the battery voltage when trying to start? The static voltage is 12.4 but what is it while engaging the starter? Does the solenoid click?

I would try the jumpstart trick and see if it starts or at least turns over. Its also possible the 12v cable to the starter is failing. Unable to support the full load of the starter motor.
yes solenoid clicks and I hear it while starting. I tried jump starting it and it is not working. What cable exactly you are referring to of 12v cable to the starter? The one between alternator and starter is in great condition
Old 01-05-2019, 04:03 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

You said 10.99v at the starter, 12.4 at the battery, is that under load? Simultaneously? Obviously you can't read both at the same time but can take both separately while starting. I would expect minimal voltage drop to the starter with a good cable. I'm just throwing it out there as there have been threads out there about starter issues that were related to the cable and one would cause an issue with the other.

https://rennlist.com/forums/newreply...ply&p=15024690
Originally Posted by TheBruce

The problem

997.1s can suffer from a slow crank issue when the engine is hot. I believe the issue was fixed in the 2007 or 2008 MY but 2005 and 2006's will probability run into this at some point in their life. When it gets bad enough the car wont turn over until its cooled down, which can result in a bad day.

The issue is related to a bad crimp in the starter/alternator cable that causes resistance to build up and both effect alternator output and starter efficiency. Its a double whammy as your battery will only be at 50-60% charge.

The diagnosis

This can be misdiagnosed as a bad battery, bad starter, or corroded distributor pin and people throw parts and time at until they bite the bullet and replace the cable. I too was hoping my issue was related to one of these as a simpler fix. I would also put my battery on a charger, which would reduce the symptoms for a few days, but within a week my battery would be back down to 60% charge.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ter-cable.html

If I were a betting man I would guess the starter but there is the possibility you have a cable issue which could be causing issues with your starter and battery both.

Quick Reply: Another No start problem video attached