Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmholtz resonator hack: who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:09 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

@TheBruce So you're planning to take it out?
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Bigmikee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSE

Probably a silly question, but will this hack have the same effect on an S with PSE?

Last edited by Bigmikee; 01-10-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Error
Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,727 Likes on 4,279 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigmikee
Probably a silly question, but will this hack have the same effect on an S with PSE?
Yes, PSE is a valve integrated into the muffler with a vacuum solenoid. This mod is done to the intake tract so separate and should have the same benefit or effect.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Bigmikee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, PSE is a valve integrated into the muffler with a vacuum solenoid. This mod is done to the intake tract so separate and should have the same benefit or effect.
thanks!
Old 06-21-2019, 09:52 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
Anything similar to this mod for the 997.2?
Not sure if these are all the same but I have a base 3.6 carrera and there is a Helmholtz resonator in the induction.

I taped over the hole and cut out the inside with a razor blade for a pattern to cut out of a block of plastic I had laying around.

Induction noise was very noticeably increased. Sounds great IMO.

Also have to say, I'm surprised anyone replaces these air boxes. Probably one of the best designs I've seen for an OEM setup. Air straightener before the maf, dual filter, screens on the front of the box for sound and sealed to the deck for cold/ram air.

Very nice.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:15 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Cool. Do you notice any stronger pulls with the plug in? I took mine out because I found the resonance a little harsh at higher RPMs. It felt faster but that may have been because it sounded like a rocket launch.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:51 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Cool. Do you notice any stronger pulls with the plug in? I took mine out because I found the resonance a little harsh at higher RPMs. It felt faster but that may have been because it sounded like a rocket launch.
I am on the fence with this one because with the plug in, and with some of the aftermarket intakes, the car starts to sound like a 90s honda when the VTEC hits (yo).
This makes sense in relation to the VarioCam but the extra noise kind of trumpets the VTEC when it kicks in (yo).
Did anyone else who grew up with hondas get this vibe? It might just be in my head.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:03 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 145 Posts

Completely stock my car made 315rwhp/273rwtq. I've modified the mufflers and blocked off the induction resonator. Highly doubt either would change the power at all but I'll run it again to verify.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:31 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Quick update on this topic. I put the plug back in. I can say definitely it does pull stronger and harder between 4-6k rpm. No idea why, but it's noticeable. Im gonna keep it in.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:00 PM
jaxxon99
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Have to say I agree with you. I bought one second hand and put it in this week, its the only mod on my car right now and I definitely feel a difference between 4-6K rpm.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:20 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Quick update on this topic. I put the plug back in. I can say definitely it does pull stronger and harder between 4-6k rpm. No idea why, but it's noticeable. Im gonna keep it in.
Originally Posted by jaxxon99
Have to say I agree with you. I bought one second hand and put it in this week, its the only mod on my car right now and I definitely feel a difference between 4-6K rpm.
Its all in your head. Its a resonator not some secret performance improvement
Old 10-02-2019, 09:42 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Ahh @vern1 , you always pee in my cornflakes :-)

I thought it was a placebo effect at first, but it's not. I suspect as the air pressure builds the resonator starts to create some turbulent flow. I've got a aeronautical engineer that works with me. Im gonna ask him what he thinks.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:06 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Ahh @vern1 , you always pee in my cornflakes :-)

I thought it was a placebo effect at first, but it's not. I suspect as the air pressure builds the resonator starts to create some turbulent flow. I've got a aeronautical engineer that works with me. Im gonna ask him what he thinks.
Nah, no peeing, its just that you come up with some crazy **** man

Like many mods that simply increase the sound a bit, the old butt dyno just wants to tell you that its doing something ie pick your poison here (it comes alive, really wakes up, pulls way harder, flattens out the torque curve, etc etc)

Maybe some engineer can tell you about airflow but he's not going to tell you how it effects a Porsche engine unless he's a Porsche engineer.

I have run the helmholtz plug for years. It adds a bit of sound (that Porsche tried to dial out for noise regs i believe) but thats all it adds. Love to be proven wrong - run a dyno with/without the plug and lets look at the numbers. Otherwise its just another butt dyno story to me

Cheers
Old 10-02-2019, 10:32 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Might be crazy ****, but its incredibly well documented crazy **** :-)

And you've laid down the gauntlet on this one. We need to pull in @Jake Raby @Petza914 @Wayne Smith and the rest of the smarties on this one.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,727 Likes on 4,279 Posts

Might be crazy ****, but its incredibly well documented crazy **** :-)

And you've laid down the gauntlet on this one. We need to pull in @Jake Raby @Petza914 @Wayne Smith and the rest of the smarties on this one.
Someone with a Durametric should track MAF readings with and without the plug installed under the same circumstances. If the MAF shows more air being measured, the DME will add more fuel to keep the mixture right and more air plus more fuel = more power.

If the MAF readings are the same, you could look at fuel trim numbers to see if maybe its air velocity that changes and the fuel trim numbers are higher one way or the other. A higher fueling number means the car sensed lean (more air) and added fuel to get the mixture right again.

It would be the same type of testing @gasongasoff did to determine whether there was a benefit with a cold air intake or not in this thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...surements.html

Quick Reply: Helmholtz resonator hack: who's done it?