Sponsored by:

restart

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018 | 12:16 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Default restart

Happy Holidays Everyone!
So I have had my 2007 997 C4S for a few months now and I have a few questions for the group.
1. I have let a few folks get the pleasure of driving a 911 and a few have stalled the car when starting out in 1st. The restart is difficult. If you don't turn the key all the way off and then back on you get nothing. When you do it seems to strain to turn over? Anyone else experience this? If so, cause and fix?? Battery is fresh as of March this year.
2. The door to the cup holder won't stay shut. I have seen some threads so I need to study up on the fix.
3. Each window seems to not wipe moisture when taken down and up leaving smears right in the spot to view the rear view mirrors! Anyone replaced the door window seals/wiper strip?
4. Sun roof cover rattle. Rattles have no place in a 911!
Any input is appreciated!
Old 12-27-2018 | 12:19 PM
cannonball05
Racer

I have a sunroof rattle as well. I can't seem to find a fix. Hoping someone has an idea here.
Old 12-27-2018 | 12:44 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

#1 is a hot start problem with. 997.1 cars. Lots of threads on this. Super labor intensive to fix.
#3 just maybe due to age the squeegee on the outside no longer has the flexibility it once had. I have started to look into this one too as I get smears on the inside glass also. I plan to pull the door panel off after the holidays and see what is going on. Wish I was more help.
Old 12-27-2018 | 01:40 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by repguyMN
Happy Holidays Everyone!
So I have had my 2007 997 C4S for a few months now and I have a few questions for the group.
1. I have let a few folks get the pleasure of driving a 911 and a few have stalled the car when starting out in 1st. The restart is difficult. If you don't turn the key all the way off and then back on you get nothing. When you do it seems to strain to turn over? Anyone else experience this? If so, cause and fix?? Battery is fresh as of March this year.
2. The door to the cup holder won't stay shut. I have seen some threads so I need to study up on the fix.
3. Each window seems to not wipe moisture when taken down and up leaving smears right in the spot to view the rear view mirrors! Anyone replaced the door window seals/wiper strip?
4. Sun roof cover rattle. Rattles have no place in a 911!
Any input is appreciated!

Re 1, that is normal (I believe it’s a vapor lock but the smart guys can tell you more definitely). If you have a bad starter cable that can compound the issue. Is the starter also sluggish when the car is hot, or just after you stall it?

Re 2, you can replace that whole mechanism or google search for some diys.

Re 3, interesting. I get streaks on my driver window too and just thought it was my ocd. Mine are on the inside and I think it’s because I rest my arm on the door with the window open a lot and just get arm sweat on the rubber window gasket. I found cleaning with one of those square window cleaning pads (same material as you clean your glasses with) works the best.

Re 4, check out Car Fanatics channel on YouTube. He has a video on fixing this. I had one briefly but it was just a tiny rock that was stuck up in the track. Eventually fell in the passenger seat and problem solved...

Old 12-27-2018 | 01:58 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Thanks for the responses! Glad(I think?) to hear others have some experience with my issues! Good to know there are some good threads out there to look into.
I guess onto some research! If I find solutions to the problems I will post them.
Safe and Happy New Year!
Old 12-27-2018 | 02:02 PM
964hans
Instructor

Default Sun Roof Rattle

Hi all,
I had a sun roof rattle as well and solved it.
It was a loose rubber.

Pictures are taken from the car's back side
I removed the complete roof lining which appeared to be not necessary. Start removing the headliner at the back side.
Regards
Hans
Old 12-27-2018 | 02:06 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Thanks Hans for the pics!
Old 12-27-2018 | 02:09 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Here's a video on how to replace the starter cable on 997.1 C2S if you decide that you have the "hot starting" issue. Anecdotally, I heard that the starter cable issue was improved for 07-08 models but I don't recall where/when I ran across that info. I agree with TheBruce that you will want to verify that the starter itself is not the problem. Replacing the cable is doable if a bit finicky.

Old 12-27-2018 | 02:20 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Yea Jeebus is right, that cable was apparently fixed in 07 or 08 so definitely confirm if its just normal vapor lock or the cable. I had a bad cable and when I stalled it on a hill in SF one day and took 30 seconds to get restarted I knew it was time to get it fixed. I have a detailed writeup on how to replace that cable if/when you go down that route. Its a $125 part I think but requires removing a bunch of stuff to get to it.

As for the sunroof, here is the video from Car Fanatic
Old 12-27-2018 | 03:21 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Originally Posted by jeebus31
Here's a video on how to replace the starter cable on 997.1 C2S if you decide that you have the "hot starting" issue. Anecdotally, I heard that the starter cable issue was improved for 07-08 models but I don't recall where/when I ran across that info. I agree with TheBruce that you will want to verify that the starter itself is not the problem. Replacing the cable is doable if a bit finicky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJ50RaF8XE&t=724s
jeebus thanks for the video! Very helpful. How does one determine it is the cable? Would the cable also cause slow crank when cold? As I stated above the PO had a new battery installed in March this year but it seems to crank somewhat slow?
Old 12-27-2018 | 03:22 PM
repguyMN
Racer

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Yea Jeebus is right, that cable was apparently fixed in 07 or 08 so definitely confirm if its just normal vapor lock or the cable. I had a bad cable and when I stalled it on a hill in SF one day and took 30 seconds to get restarted I knew it was time to get it fixed. I have a detailed writeup on how to replace that cable if/when you go down that route. Its a $125 part I think but requires removing a bunch of stuff to get to it.

As for the sunroof, here is the video from Car Fanatic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5rlyQFs4JE
Thank for the video TheBruce! I believe mine is the sun roof cover but I will recheck to be sure.
Old 12-27-2018 | 05:06 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Originally Posted by TheBruce

As for the sunroof, here is the video from Car Fanatic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5rlyQFs4JE
Thanks for the video Bruce. My rattle might be what 964hans said. The rattle is just behind the sunroof under the headliner. I need to investigate.
Old 12-27-2018 | 08:18 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

How does one determine it is the cable? Would the cable also cause slow crank when cold? As I stated above the PO had a new battery installed in March this year but it seems to crank somewhat slow?
Couple methods:

1. The easiest. Start the car when cold. Then go for a rip and get oil temp up to 200+, turn off the car and restart. If the hot start is more sluggish than cold start you can confirm its the cable.

2. You can also sometimes see the rubber boot that covers the cable attachment to the starter motor has melted. You can snake one of those fiber optic cameras back there.

3. Your indy can test the cold cranks on your battery. If thats fine but you have a slow start thats another dead giveaway.

You can see a detailed writeup on the issue here https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-997-1-a.html
Old 12-27-2018 | 09:25 PM
JustinCase
Racer

I own an '08 C2S Cab, and I have had two variations of the hot start problem: (1) corrosion at the end of the long cable, and (2) a bas spot in my starter. #1 has been repaired, but #2 is currently a much less annoying problem, so my indy suggested just living with it until my next regular service.

Quick Reply: restart