Sponsored by:

Cost to add PDK paddle steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 03:18 PM
Rmag911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cost to add PDK paddle steering wheel

just bought my first 911! Unfortunately, it comes with the toggle steering wheel. The dealership quoted me 1100 for the PDK sport wheel and $500 in labor to install. That seems pretty obscene to me. I can get the wheel on suncoast for about 900 and I would’ve thought swapping out a steering wheel would take no more than 30 mins. Is there something unique about the PDK paddles that makes the install more complex than any other steering wheel? i’m getting ripped off aren’t I?
Old 12-24-2018, 03:31 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an 09 C2S with PDK and it came with the button or toggle wheel. Hated it and swapped it out for the paddles. Really easy, took about 30 minutes. Can’t imagine why they would charge $500 labor.

New wheel even included the center bolt with Loctite already applied. Be sure to disconnect the battery so you don’t trigger the airbag. There is a trick to releasing the airbag via a small hole in the side of the wheel. Probably a YouTube video showing how.

Very easy DIY.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:25 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

500 labor, wow! I've swapped sport design steering wheels onto 2 PDK cars and it's a 30 minute affair the first time and 15 or 20 minutes once you've done it. As mentioned just make sure the battery is disconnected and leave it a few minutes disconnected before working. It's the easiest DIY out there.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Rmag911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
500 labor, wow! I've swapped sport design steering wheels onto 2 PDK cars and it's a 30 minute affair the first time and 15 or 20 minutes once you've done it. As mentioned just make sure the battery is disconnected and leave it a few minutes disconnected before working. It's the easiest DIY out there.
dealer says the 500 hundred includes “alignment.” If the wheels were already aligned pre-steering swap, is there a reason they would need to be aligned as part of the swap? seems fishy.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:14 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Welcome! Thats cool you can swap out for paddle shifters. I didnt know that.

As for the dealer, yea welcome to the Porsche world :-) I would never take my car to the dealer. They provider white glove service if you have a new or CPO car, but anything out of warranty is highway robbery. My local dealer is consistently quotes 2-3x the labor as my local indy. My typical project goes something like this: the dealer will quote $3k, my indy will quote $1k, I do it myself for $150 in parts.

If you want to make 911 ownership practical it really pays to do as much work on the car as you can. Its rewarding too.

As for the wheel, yea thats one of the easier projects to get you started. First disconnect the battery. Then feel for a small hole under the steering wheel. Get a long punch and insert into the hole and press (pretty hard) and you will release the airbag. Disconnect the leads and then unbolt the wheel. Aligning the wheel should be pretty simple. When you reconnect the battery you will get a PSM error on the dash but it will clean in a minute or two.

Good luck and welcome to the club. You will love it.

Last edited by TheBruce; 12-24-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:19 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmag911

dealer says the 500 hundred includes “alignment.” If the wheels were already aligned pre-steering swap, is there a reason they would need to be aligned as part of the swap? seems fishy.

One important note I didn't see mentioned thus far in this thread (it is mentioned in some other threads and DIY materials) is that you'll want to mark where the steering wheel should line up before you remove the old one. A small mark with a sharpie before removal on each side (one on the steering wheel and one where the wheel mounts) will make sure the new steering wheel is aligned and tracks straight with the car. Marking the old wheel will make it easier for reinstall later if you decide. That's the only kind of alignment that needs to happen in the steering wheel swap procedure. If you have it slightly misaligned you'll notice fairly quickly once you drive the car and you'll need to take the steering wheel back off and slide it a couple of gear teeth to one side or the other to align it more closely.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:48 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

This is the procedure I've followed to swap mine...

Karl.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:55 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Good advice in this thread. Changing steering wheels out really is a 5 minute job. Dealer will need to program the car to recognize it with their PIWIS, but it is a 5 minute job for them if they know what they are doing. They most likely have a 1 hour minimum so if you want them to program different things now is the time.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:50 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
One important note I didn't see mentioned thus far in this thread (it is mentioned in some other threads and DIY materials) is that you'll want to mark where the steering wheel should line up before you remove the old one. A small mark with a sharpie before removal on each side (one on the steering wheel and one where the wheel mounts) will make sure the new steering wheel is aligned and tracks straight with the car. Marking the old wheel will make it easier for reinstall later if you decide. That's the only kind of alignment that needs to happen in the steering wheel swap procedure. If you have it slightly misaligned you'll notice fairly quickly once you drive the car and you'll need to take the steering wheel back off and slide it a couple of gear teeth to one side or the other to align it more closely.
Was just going to post the same thing. I've done two of them now and the first one got misaligned since I failed to give myself a reference as to where to mount the new wheel. Not a big deal and not a difficult fix but highly annoying if you miss it by a tooth or two.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:51 AM
amplitude
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Super easy swap to do! Just make sure you have a T-55 bit for the center bolt. Aside from that, it's plug and play (though I did lose the heated function of my old shift button wheel).
Old 12-27-2018, 10:27 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Timely video

Quick Reply: Cost to add PDK paddle steering wheel