Sponsored by:

Advice on my first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 02:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Based on the manufacture year I would just plan to fork over $3k for a clutch IMS. IMO this would be a great worry free way to own a 997.1, you would’ve likely needed a clutch during your ownership anyway.
Problem is that the later 2005 997's have the larger bearing which turns any kind of IMS upgrade into a lot more than a $3,000 clutch job. Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen any reference to which bearing this car has.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

Have you clicked on the link recently? They just dropped the price $2k to $32,988. Offer them $28k and see if they’ll meet you somewhere in the middle. I think I read somewhere above it was a fall 2004 build, so may have the serviceable IMS.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:34 PM
escimages
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the price has dropped since I test-drove it, but they are a one-price dealership, so they explained that their pricing is based on the market. I believe they will continue to slowly drop the price until someone bites.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:36 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by escimages
Yes, the price has dropped since I test-drove it, but they are a one-price dealership, so they explained that their pricing is based on the market. I believe they will continue to slowly drop the price until someone bites.
Wait till the last day of the month. They’ll want to make their sales numbers for Dec. I’m willing to bet they won’t be so much of a one price dealer then...😁
Old 12-27-2018, 01:53 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

I say again, go for it :-)

Thats a great price. I saw someone post a low mile base mode too, which was also a great price. Iyou need to decide if you want to go local or add make the effort to ship a car and fly in to get a ppi.

If if you want to pull the trigger I’m happy to help you take it to get a ppi and look through it. Is it in the city or Berkley?

What was the conclusion on the IMS? Have you run the engine number to get a roughindication if it’s large or small? Large bearing you are a-ok. Small bearing that hasn’t been replaced you need to budget $2500 for clutch and IMS (that’s the quote my buddy got at hitech and scargo). At 69k miles you are due for a clutch soon, especially a city car. Mine went at 50.

Pm me if you need some help. I’m heading into the city on Saturday to meet a friend.

Ps - excuse typos I’m on my phone and this website sucks in mobile format
Old 12-27-2018, 05:12 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by escimages
Hey Everyone,

I've been lurking here for a bit, and thought I should ask advice on a possible purchase. I've never owned a Porsche, but have always wanted one. I went on the factory tour in Stuttgart a few years ago, which only made me want one more (no surprise there). To be totally honest, at this point I'm at the low end of the market for 997's (> $35K) and I'm wondering what I might be getting myself into at that price-point for a car like this. I've owned a couple BMW's that have been fairly costly to maintain, but I keep on top of things and can do very basic jobs myself.

I've attached a link to the car I'm considering. I've test-driven it and spoken to the mechanic who has serviced it since 2013 (and last serviced it in Sept). He gave it a clean bill of health, and specifically said the IMS wasn't a concern on this car. It's a 2-owner C2S w/about 70K miles.

https://www.sftoyota.com/used/Porsch...vdp-recentCars

Any thoughts are appreciated. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!
As others have said. That is a great price. My 2006 C2S has 76K and got it for $31k which was the lowest on the market at the time back this summer. And mine doesn't have Sport Chrono or your sport seats. If PPI checks out, grab it.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:22 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Problem is that the later 2005 997's have the larger bearing which turns any kind of IMS upgrade into a lot more than a $3,000 clutch job. Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen any reference to which bearing this car has.
The switch over was reportedly sometime in mid/late February 2005, his build was in September 2004, so I would say it has to have the smaller. My build date is early February I believe, the engine # is well within the range of the smaller bearing. I am fairly confident I too have the smaller one, but I guess I find out when I have everything done as preventative before spring.

Worse case I end up with a new clutch and have documented the presence and condition of a larger bearing and removed the grease seal. Plus I can do the RMS. Those things combined would add value to the car on resale plus if I kept the car forever I would eventually need a new clutch. Best case I installed the clutch + LNE bearing and really added value and piece of mind. IMO the IMS is a potential opportunity for those who can buy cheap and budget to address it.

Last edited by bgoetz; 12-27-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:50 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Here is one I just saw on CL. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd...764061080.html

great price, lower miles.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

The switch over was reportedly sometime in mid/late February 2005, his build was in September 2004, so I would say it has to have the smaller. My build date is early February I believe, the engine # is well within the range of the smaller bearing. I am fairly confident I too have the smaller one, but I guess I find out when I have everything done as preventative before spring.

Worse case I end up with a new clutch and have documented the presence and condition of a larger bearing and removed the grease seal. Plus I can do the RMS. Those things combined would add value to the car on resale plus if I kept the car forever I would eventually need a new clutch. Best case I installed the clutch + LNE bearing and really added value and piece of mind. IMO the IMS is a potential opportunity for those who can buy cheap and budget to address it.
I agree and it sounds like you're in good shape.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:33 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Since we're in the subject of the IMS, can I ask you gentlemen a question? After much reading on this forum the consensus is the larger IMSB on the 06-08 has a very low failure rate and we can all agree on that. However, I also see a lot of folks stating that the IMSB will eventually fail like all bearings. My question is how long will the 06-08 997.1 bearing last and hold up say 10 years from now? Once I get my 911 I want to keep it for as long as I can. I am concern with the long term of the larger IMS bearing. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:59 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

There is no replacement on large bearing cars and should last the life of the engine. Some people recommend removing the front seal to enable more oil coating but im not sure the consensus on this.

There are only 2 mythical 06-08 cars with an IMS failure that ive ever heard of.

And I believe earlier air cooled cars have IMS bearings as well. It was only with the 996 it became a dirty word.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:34 PM
mikeTT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
That’s a $25k-$27k car. 2005 is essentially the same mechanically as a 996. Does it have service records? If so, how far back do they go?
This
Check NADA
Old 12-28-2018, 02:45 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeTT
This
Check NADA
Search Auto Trader or Car Gurus for a manual 997 C2S for $25k that has less than 100k miles and tell me how many you find in the US. For that matter tell me how many are less than $30k. Now take into account the color and build for that particular car. The asking price is a very good price.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
There is no replacement on large bearing cars and should last the life of the engine. Some people recommend removing the front seal to enable more oil coating but im not sure the consensus on this.

There are only 2 mythical 06-08 cars with an IMS failure that ive ever heard of.

And I believe earlier air cooled cars have IMS bearings as well. It was only with the 996 it became a dirty word.
I needed to hear this! You've given me relief and more hope for the 06-08 As always we value your feedback and contribution to this forum.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:40 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya know what they say about opinions......

Here is mine. Its good price for an 05 in an off color. Most 997 were black, silver or some sort of metallic grey. Then came some blue, white and red. Very few maroon, yellow, PTS and green. I can honestly say this is the only green 997 I have seen for sale. Unless you are an Aston or Jag fan, green is not the first color of choice in my sports cars. I would think of resale as you will have a smaller market.

After checking cargurus, its the third cheapest S coupe with manual. For a few more grand you can get out of the 'feared' 05 range and into a different color. But if the green talks to you and you do your homework with the bearing, its your car to enjoy. After looking at the pictures, the green is refreshing in a good way.

Lastly, this is for the future Pcar owners: 997s in your personal configuration are hard to find. Clean examples are even harder to find. Dont do the legwork for an opportunistic lurker. Ive seen it many times where a guy posts up a direct link to a car that he is interested in, only to have the car sold out from under his nose. Post up the basic details only along with a price range.

Quick Reply: Advice on my first Porsche