Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:57 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
Just got off the phone with Jake and he will have a video for you guys by next week explaining and showing everything so im not even going to go into any details as he will be able to describe and show it better.

Also we have decided to go 4.0 (Stage 2) build which has some forged/billet goodies in there. Thanks to no collateral damage that saved me some money. When i reached out beginning of this month, Jake penciled me in for end of August completion slot and now hes backed up til early spring of 2020!

Planning on visiting Flat 6 shop sometime in the spring time as well
4.0 Stage 2! That sounds awesone Bronz. the wait is gonna suck, but the end result will be very special.
just curious, what transport company did you use and do you mind sharing the cost? Also, maybe this is a question for Jake, but how will your car be stored for the next 5 months, garaged or outside in a lot? I wonder if removing engine and crating/shipping engine is preferred by Jake...

Last edited by qikqbn; 02-06-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:13 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
4.0 Stage 2! That sounds awesone Bronz. the wait is gonna suck, but the end result will be very special.
just curious, what transport company did you use and do you mind sharing the cost? Also, maybe this is a question for Jake, but how will your car be stored for the next 5 months, garaged or outside in a lot? I wonder if removing engine and crating/shipping engine is preferred by Jake...
The answers to many of your questions can be found on the Flat6 website...
Old 02-06-2019, 04:13 PM
black997er
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got off the phone with Jake and he will have a video for you guys by next week explaining and showing everything so im not even going to go into any details as he will be able to describe and show it better.

Also we have decided to go 4.0 (Stage 2) build which has some forged/billet goodies in there. Thanks to no collateral damage that saved me some money. When i reached out beginning of this month, Jake penciled me in for end of August completion slot and now hes backed up til early spring of 2020!

I knew you would do the right thing, 4.0L ftw! Also, can’t wait for Jake’s report
Old 02-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great stuff, all. Has been quite the learning opportunity. Congrats on going with the stage II 4.0, bronz. You deserve a little something extra for all your trouble, in addition to being able to run the car with impunity (so to speak) after the build.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:39 PM
chris.lorine
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Jake - would be awesome if you brought us along the journey with some pics as you disassemble. Thx for being such a great support to the community. Lets get bronz back on the road!
I second TheBruce! I would love to see pictures of the internals and hear any comments you'd care to share.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:56 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

DFI 4.0... wow.. is there published info on what this includes and output?
Old 02-06-2019, 06:19 PM
chris.lorine
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

One thing that this post and string has taught me is TEST YOUR OIL. Last year, I ordered a Blackstone test and have the package on my workbench. I will be changing my oil this weekend and will certainly be collecting some sample oil as well as pulling my filter apart to look for any debris. On my last oil change, I installed a magnetic drain plug (not that it will do much) to see if any metal is attracted to it.
These posts are very helpful to those of us who are not mechanics and just do the simple repairs on our own. While I am sorry that the post originated in real fear, I am happy that the result was not the nuclear option from an expense standpoint. The people who are on this site are really head and shoulders above other sites I am on with respect to professionalism and seeking a knowledge-base of enthusiasts and mechanical professionals.
To the mechanical professionals, thank you for taking time after your workday to update the rest of us. Thank you especially to Jake at Flat6 Innovations for his pictures and narrative.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:10 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I bet that is going to be a very awesome setup!!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

Bronz, let me know when you're headed to Jake's. If the timing works out, maybe I'll meet you over there and we can talk 997s and see what's happening with your build.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you! Wait time is really the worst part about this situation, but i hope it will be worth it! Jud at Flat 6 arranged the transport and i ended up paying $800 one way in an enclosed trailer from Chicago to Cleveland, GA.

And honestly i never asked about the storage, im sure they will take good care of the car.

Name:  322FH03h.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  69.2 KB

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Old 02-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,159 Likes on 3,925 Posts

And honestly i never asked about the storage, im sure they will take good care of the car.
Jake has indoor storage facilities on the property, like the one in the right of this photo.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:05 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Absolutely! Would love to see your 997 as well!

Originally Posted by Petza914
Bronz, let me know when you're headed to Jake's. If the timing works out, maybe I'll meet you over there and we can talk 997s and see what's happening with your build.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

It really depends on the supporting mods as well but overall expecting about 60hp or so. Car will be dyno tuned. Will have to get different headers as well and will probably go catless since i have valved exhaust to make it a little less loud. Transmission will be tuned to increase the rpms alittle as well as prevent it from shifting too soon since the car will have much more torque.

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Old 02-07-2019, 12:35 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

No Porsche sits outdoors here. At most a car will sit outside for a few hours, on a clear day while we shuffle cars in the storage building for new arrivals. We have vehicles scheduled in a manner that when one arrives, another is leaving.
Bronz is lucky, too many times when we accept a failed engine, the car is dead here for a whole year. In some of those extreme cases we own an off- site storage facility where the vehicles are kept in their own holding cell for the long term.

This is a true engine program, we don't have a typical shop with people in, and out all the time. We don't "work on cars". We develop, and build engines, and that's all that we do.

My facility is akin to a fortified military compound, stockade fences, steel electric gates, and guard dogs included. No one gets in this compound without permission, and without a scheduled visit. At night the local Sheriff's Department is our neighbor, and they will often sit in our driveway and rob our wifi if things are slow around the county. On top of that we have cameras, and alarms in every building.

Guys, the used oil analysis is critical, but you have to use a quality service. www.speeddiagnostix.com is a premier service that is fast, and offers excellent commentary. often they will send "problem" data to Charles and I for additional commentary to help the owner understand what the elements are.

That said, what I did NOT see in this data told me more than what I did see.. It takes seeing failures and having samples of that oil to understand what this stuff truly means. Some dude sitting in a cubicle that looks at data, and doesn't know the elements in a given engine doesn't cut it. When Bronz and I were on the phone after he shared these samples, I told him what had failed before the car ever arrived.. Then I confirmed it, then I further confirmed that...

You'll see the teardown video in a few days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
Alex Koutin (05-30-2020), islaTurbine (02-23-2022)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:46 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

^ very, very cool.

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure