Sponsored by:

Another battery rolls over

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 01:49 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by kisik
Just plug a trickle charger into cigarette lighter when you park a car. I do it all the time. Short trips, long trips. I am on my 9th year on my MaxxEverStart from Walmart (it was made in Spain back then). I bought another one but original doesn't want to die. Just measure with voltmeter once a while. It should be around 12.7V fully charged at 20 deg C
Good advice but I still think Porsche could do more here. The battery issues on these cars are well documented and having to fool around with a trickle charger on a $120,000 daily driver each day you're done driving seems a bit ridiculous.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:11 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 189 Posts

The products this company makes it the way to go. I haven't had a battery fail on any of the dozen or so cars I have stored. We also use them on my company fleet trucks and RV. Absolutely keeps batteries alive. All batteries including Lithium. https://www.batterysaver.com
Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If you have a CTEK maintainer I would buy the CTEK battery sense.

Connected to phone via Bluetooth.

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/ctx-battery-sense

Perfect to monitor and maybe even enough range to reach inside house?

I already have quick connector with LED indicator but looking to buy this solution as well for monitoring as my battery slowly died over two weeks time.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
If you have a CTEK maintainer I would buy the CTEK battery sense.

Connected to phone via Bluetooth.
No. No. This is over the top. Even for me. I refuse.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-13-2018, 12:45 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts

My battery died overnight as well. I drove it Sunday morning for a short grocery run and the only indicator that something was up was that the clock had reset itself to 12:00. I reset the time and drove off with no problem, and picked up my groceries. However, Monday morning, the clock had reset to 12:00 again and this time, the car wouldn't start. So, I guess you could say it gave me a warning, but I just didn't heed it. Oh well...next time I'll know to watch for this warning sign! I also replaced my Moll with the WM Maxx H7 for ~$150.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
My battery died overnight as well. I drove it Sunday morning for a short grocery run and the only indicator that something was up was that the clock had reset itself to 12:00. I reset the time and drove off with no problem, and picked up my groceries. However, Monday morning, the clock had reset to 12:00 again and this time, the car wouldn't start. So, I guess you could say it gave me a warning, but I just didn't heed it. Oh well...next time I'll know to watch for this warning sign! I also replaced my Moll with the WM Maxx H7 for ~$150.
No way I would have made the connection of the digital clock display being off with a dying battery. Especially not since the car started just fine after you reset the clock. How much power does it take to run the digital clock display compared to cranking the car? You're being too hard on yourself.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:59 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Assuming you don't have a large parasitic drain due to a weird issue, your problem is shared with just about every other car on the road. You are using a lead acid battery, which was invented in 1859. Why auto makers still use 160 year old battery technology is beyond me. If you want a battery to last more than a couple of years on a non daily driven car, at the very least, you need a good virgin lead AGM battery. They can take an (electrical beating) and not get killed. Odyssey Batteries are awesome. You should look into them. You will save a lot of weight up front too (34lbs vs 68lbs OEM Bosch battery) and your back will thank you for it. BTW, DFI cars take a lot to crank them over, hence the giant OEM battery.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by swoardrider
Assuming you don't have a large parasitic drain due to a weird issue, your problem is shared with just about every other car on the road. You are using a lead acid battery, which was invented in 1859. Why auto makers still use 160 year old battery technology is beyond me. If you want a battery to last more than a couple of years on a non daily driven car, at the very least, you need a good virgin lead AGM battery. They can take an (electrical beating) and not get killed. Odyssey Batteries are awesome. You should look into them. You will save a lot of weight up front too (34lbs vs 68lbs OEM Bosch battery) and your back will thank you for it. BTW, DFI cars take a lot to crank them over, hence the giant OEM battery.
This, with the realization that there have been improvements.

The chemical reaction in a battery leaves a precipitate. This part of the chemical equation is one way, the precipitate is permanent. 40 years ago (my last experience as a professional auto mechanic) we'd see batteries that had accumulated enough precipitate to start shorting out plates and even disable complete cells (15% drop in voltage). Shorting was dependent upon how the precipitate settled during the last drive. As long as the car was running (allowing the alternator to supply electrical energy) everything was fine. But there could be a problem on the next start.

Additionally, the precipitate reduces chemical density.

Chemistry is chemistry ... no changes here.

The other major failure was when plates warped and shorted against each other. I believe the grids have improved, better supporting the plates, reducing this failure mode.

Nonetheless, every time the battery supports the electrical system (including parasitic drain) the chemical reaction saps battery life, ads precipitate, and increase the risk of failure.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:40 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

For a car that is stored long-term, say a month or more, is it better to disconnect the battery or keep the car on a battery maintainer? I use a battery maintainer on all of my cars that sit for extended periods but I have often thought about disconnecting the battery instead. Does anyone know which method is better. How quickly does a disconnected battery lose its charge?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:36 PM
andover
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s called “sulfation.”
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._to_prevent_it
Its one of the reasons why I bought an EV car for short errands (Hyundai Ioniq EV). Use the P car for touring or when the running around has minimal stopping and starting the engine.
Use a battery tender all the time for the P car
Old 12-13-2018, 11:16 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
For a car that is stored long-term, say a month or more, is it better to disconnect the battery or keep the car on a battery maintainer? I use a battery maintainer on all of my cars that sit for extended periods but I have often thought about disconnecting the battery instead. Does anyone know which method is better. How quickly does a disconnected battery lose its charge?
On my old cars I do both. I leave the battery disconnected and I occasionally top off the batteries with a Battery Tender. BUT, our 997s don’t like to have their batteries disconnected. They respond with glitches and error messages. I’d just use a Battery Tender on the Porsche and leave the battery connected.

Quick Reply: Another battery rolls over