Sponsored by:

GTS Cab traded in for 991.2 GTS Targa - bittersweet

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 05:53 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default GTS Cab traded in for 991.2 GTS Targa - bittersweet

I was torn doing this. I really wanted a 458 Spider, but it was a bit out of my price and comfort range. After weighing all factors, I traded my perfect 2012 GTS Cabriolet (12k miles), and my perfect modified C6 ZO6 (13k miles), and $$$ for a 2017 991 GTS Targa.
Main reasons to trade: (1) I really could use the garage space (for wife's car) as I live in the northeast; (2) the maintenance, registrations and insurance on the cars were obviously duplicative and costly; (3) I did not have time to drive both, and pulling one for the other off the lift was a pita as my DD Raptor was on the other side of the garage; and (4) both cars out of any warranties and both cars due for a service soon.
On the other side of the ledger, the dilemma was obvious; (1) my cars were pretty much fully depreciated, in mint condition, modified as I wanted, and a blast to drive; (2) I thought my PDK cab was perfectly complimented by the 6speed ZO6 coupe; and (3) I was comfortable and truly enjoyed driving both.
As wandering eyes do, I began looking for a single car, that I could afford, that, in my opinion, would reasonably blend the characteristics of my two cars. After thoughtful deliberations and much research, I concluded that the 991.2 GTS Targa fit the bill. I am aware of all of the criticism (and praise ) of the GTS Targa, ie. weight, turbo lag, rattles, complicated targa mechanism, etc., but as I do not track my car, it seemed like the perfect fit for me for now. I found a highly optioned 2017 GTS Targa, CPO'ed, with 3,100 miles, fully wrapped in Xpel and pulled the trigger. I was surprisingly given near fair market value for my cars on the trade-in if you include the tax savings in NY.
I am sorry to move from this forum to the 991 forum as it has been invaluably informative and entertaining for the past 4 years. My 991.2 GTS Targa will be my 4th Porsche and will move me to my 3rd Rennlist forum - 964 forum; two 997"s; and now a 991.
I loved my 997 GTS cab. It was the best sports car I have ever owned for the reasons that have been continually and correctly espoused on this forum. Thanks to all!

Old and new

Old 12-08-2018, 06:24 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Your GTS cab looks like a beaut!

But yes, there is such a performance difference between these 2 cars that it isn't even funny. I bet the GTS Targa feels like a huge step up compared to the cab and much more like what the car should cost, based on the sticker price. Driving a 991.2 C2S, I couldn't help but feel that "this car feels like a $130k car!" whereas my .2 C4S doesn't feel like it should have been a $110k car a decade ago. It is a great car, sure, but compared to a well equipped 987.2 Cayman, doesn't feel like it should have cost $40k more. I am sure there is a 911 tax in there somewhere.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:37 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a 1989 Targa. Love them. Also had a 2013 C6 427 . That felt special and was ridiculously fast. The 977.2 is awesome, but I get what Raidersfan is saying about perceived value. That's a discussion for a different thread! . Assuming you went PDK? Love my manual, but I think the PDK feels so much faster in everyday driving , especially around town, stoplights etc. Good luck with your new ride. It's a beauty!
Old 12-08-2018, 06:54 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shekmark
Had a 1989 Targa. Love them. Also had a 2013 C6 427 . That felt special and was ridiculously fast. The 977.2 is awesome, but I get what Raidersfan is saying about perceived value. That's a discussion for a different thread! . Assuming you went PDK? Love my manual, but I think the PDK feels so much faster in everyday driving , especially around town, stoplights etc. Good luck with your new ride. It's a beauty!
I haven't driven a 991.2 PDK, only 7MT, but even that was "holy S***" fast.

I think the "sweet spot" might be the 997.1, perhaps with upgraded suspension, as it offers a significant discount over a 997.2, and a similar experience. if you find yourself missing the 997 platform, great examples can be had in the high 30's-low 40's.

My wife is an enthusiast as well and having just done a long road trip in my 997, the 991.2 C2S 7MT blew her away. Whatever gremlins they had in the 991.1 got fixed: transmission and steering are as they should have been on the 991.1, but the RAS brings the car to a completely different level. It felt like a much, much lighter, more nimble, sportier car than my 4S.

I have knocked some things on the 991 in the past, but I can't find fault with the 991.2. One of my friends picked up the same car you just got (.2 Targa GTS) and they have a nice stable, including a 930 Turbo. Their opinion of the Targa mirrors mine.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:00 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Thank you all.
I couldn't agree more. The 991 feels like another level of sports car. I loved my 997 GTS, but there is no comparison to my 991 GTS as it is optioned. The bells and whistles are from a different century (which can be bad or good in the future.)
My modified ZO6 was the fastest car I ever owned. Actually not "safe" fast, as you had to drive very cautiously under certain conditions as the wheels could spin in 4 gears. Crazy fast. One of the reasons I sold her.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:10 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Option List
My wife has a Mini S Convertible for summer driving and I would have loved to kept my 997 along with the 991, but that was not in my budget. I think I still like the rear looks of the 997 GTS better, but my 991 is growing on me. I do think the 997 GTS is the sweet spot of the 997 line.
I purchased a PDK as shifting is such a chore in the traffic in Long Island.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:45 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Ill probably add a 991 targa later but never would trade my GTS.

Congrats on your new car.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

I love the 991 model Targa lines. Perhaps the best look 911 is a long time to me. How is it with the top open. Is there any buffeting or is it pretty quiet and calm.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Your GTS cab looks like a beaut!

But yes, there is such a performance difference between these 2 cars that it isn't even funny. I bet the GTS Targa feels like a huge step up compared to the cab and much more like what the car should cost, based on the sticker price. Driving a 991.2 C2S, I couldn't help but feel that "this car feels like a $130k car!" whereas my .2 C4S doesn't feel like it should have been a $110k car a decade ago. It is a great car, sure, but compared to a well equipped 987.2 Cayman, doesn't feel like it should have cost $40k more. I am sure there is a 911 tax in there somewhere.
Lol, a 997.2 C4S is a bad **** car and very liquid. Rather than complain or keep something you don't like, why not sell it and get something you do like. Should be easy as heck to sell and get what you paid out of it unless you got suckered. Me thinks you like more than you care to admit . . . unless it is for sale in which good luck selling and finding something you like.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Haven't driven it much with top down as it is 24 degrees here. But drove it a bit and did not get the buffering others have complained about.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:24 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, a 997.2 C4S is a bad **** car and very liquid. Rather than complain or keep something you don't like, why not sell it and get something you do like. Should be easy as heck to sell and get what you paid out of it unless you got suckered. Me thinks you like more than you care to admit . . . unless it is for sale in which good luck selling and finding something you like.
I must have hit a nerve. Are you one of those people that goes around telling everyone that the 997 is Soooo much better than any 991? It certainly feels a bit smaller, a bit more raw and connected, and I love the gearbox. It may be more fun to drive. A sport Design package 991 is the perfect blend of classic 911 and bad-****-ness. But it is down on performance (objective) and looks (subjective) to the 991? Of course. That is OK, as it costs a lot less too. Having a vintage car is fun, unique, and attractive for all sorts of reasons. Performance isn't one of them. Having been lucky enough to clock 900 miles in a 991.2 with all performance options, I can say the 991.2 is simply a more capable car and feels just as connected; just as fun to drive. It also can't be had for much less than $100k. It certainly isn't 2x the car of my 997.2, but we aren't comparing price/performance ratio here. I paid $50k for my C4S, and I doubt I could buy much more fun than that for $50k, outside of a rare bird like a Cayman R, which is why I chose to buy a 997. I would do it again with a $50k budget, but the 991 hate makes no sense either. If I could afford a 991 C4S with Sport design package, SPASM and full leather in a manual, I would buy that, as the suspension is really amazing on that car, not to mention the weight reduction . If I only had $25k to spend, I would buy a 987.1 Cayman S and be happy as a clam; talk about a connected, sharp car. These are all good cars.

I love my C4S..but certainly doesn't feel like a $112k car, as noted, when inflation is taken into consideration. My E92 M3 looked much more modern and attractive, and I got more comments on that car than I do the 997 . The engine and transmission are sublime on the 997. It was a good deal for the $50k I paid, and a super fun versatile road trip car. And no, I can't afford a $170k Targa GTS. I also wouldn't pay $80k+ for a 997.2 GTS; I would rather budget a bit more and get into a 997.2 GT3, which does feel like a "special" car and worth the $120k sticker price. Much of my perspective comes from this: how can my 4S, with its $112k sticker, possibly be only $8k cheaper than a basic 997.2 GT3 build? It is also the reason that I said the "sweet spot" in the lineup is a 997.1. For mid to high 30's, it is an awful lot of car.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:45 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by raidersfan
I must have hit a nerve. Are you one of those people that goes around telling everyone that the 997 is Soooo much better than any 991? It certainly feels a bit smaller, a bit more raw and connected, and I love the gearbox. It may be more fun to drive. A sport Design package 991 is the perfect blend of classic 911 and bad-****-ness. But it is down on performance (objective) and looks (subjective) to the 991? Of course. That is OK, as it costs a lot less too. Having a vintage car is fun, unique, and attractive for all sorts of reasons. Performance isn't one of them. Having been lucky enough to clock 900 miles in a 991.2 with all performance options, I can say the 991.2 is simply a more capable car and feels just as connected; just as fun to drive. It also can't be had for much less than $100k. It certainly isn't 2x the car of my 997.2, but we aren't comparing price/performance ratio here. I paid $50k for my C4S, and I doubt I could buy much more fun than that for $50k, outside of a rare bird like a Cayman R, which is why I chose to buy a 997. I would do it again with a $50k budget, but the 991 hate makes no sense either. If I could afford a 991 C4S with Sport design package, SPASM and full leather in a manual, I would buy that, as the suspension is really amazing on that car, not to mention the weight reduction . If I only had $25k to spend, I would buy a 987.1 Cayman S and be happy as a clam; talk about a connected, sharp car. These are all good cars.

I love my C4S..but certainly doesn't feel like a $112k car, as noted, when inflation is taken into consideration. My E92 M3 looked much more modern and attractive, and I got more comments on that car than I do the 997 . The engine and transmission are sublime on the 997. It was a good deal for the $50k I paid, and a super fun versatile road trip car. And no, I can't afford a $170k Targa GTS. I also wouldn't pay $80k+ for a 997.2 GTS; I would rather budget a bit more and get into a 997.2 GT3, which does feel like a "special" car and worth the $120k sticker price. Much of my perspective comes from this: how can my 4S, with its $112k sticker, possibly be only $8k cheaper than a basic 997.2 GT3 build? It is also the reason that I said the "sweet spot" in the lineup is a 997.1. For mid to high 30's, it is an awful lot of car.
No nerve hit, I drive a 991.2 Turbo so I am not in that my 997 is better than your 99X camp.

You just seem to complain about the 997.2 a lot even though you now profess love for it.

I complain about my 2017 M3 because it truly is a POS. The worst car I have owned. The difference there is I cannot sell the M3 even at a heavy loss. M3s feel super cheap compared to 911s and I have yet to drive a BMW that I like.

The 997.2 C4S would be super easy to sell if you truly did not like it. I drive my wife's 997.2 base cab a fair amount. I think it is a great car and feels every bit of the $105k sticker. This 2010 is leaps and bounds better than my POS $80k 2017 M3, Competition Package.

I actually think 997.2s are a bargain at $50k to $60k compared to anything else you can get in that price range.

Porsche 911s are the greatest, most practical, economic, cheap maintenance, comfortable, high performance sports cars made. No duh one 7 or 8 years old and 3 models series back will be slower, but I find them all just as enjoyable to drive even after driving my sub 3 seconds 0-60 991.2 Turbo.

Last edited by Doug H; 12-09-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:53 AM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Having had a 1999 e36 m3 vert, a 2003 e46 m3 vert, a 2007 m6 vert and a 2012 m3 vert, I know what you mean. I got rid of the e46 because the drivers side window would always get some kind of grease on it when putting it up or down, went to the dealer countless times, finally just traded it for the m6. My m6 depreciated like a sieve before I got hit in the rear by a fuel truck totaling the car (car was very safe). The worst BMW was my last one, the 2012 m3 vert. When driving, the convertible top would not stop knocking while it was up. Car was in and out of shop for more than half the time I owned it. They could not fix it. Just got rid of it at a huge loss (and worth it). I have not purchased a BMW since. Btw, always had the BMW's because my kids were young and I needed 4 real seats. There really is nothing like a Porsche in it's price range
Old 12-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Sorry to see you go, but congrats on the new car. The 991 Targa roof mechanism is so cool, it's worth owning, just for that and I like the way it has that classic 911 Targa curbed rear glass and tge Metallic Targa bar. Looks like a great blend of old 91w history and new 911 tech and performance.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera4esq
Having had a 1999 e36 m3 vert, a 2003 e46 m3 vert, a 2007 m6 vert and a 2012 m3 vert, I know what you mean. I got rid of the e46 because the drivers side window would always get some kind of grease on it when putting it up or down, went to the dealer countless times, finally just traded it for the m6. My m6 depreciated like a sieve before I got hit in the rear by a fuel truck totaling the car (car was very safe). The worst BMW was my last one, the 2012 m3 vert. When driving, the convertible top would not stop knocking while it was up. Car was in and out of shop for more than half the time I owned it. They could not fix it. Just got rid of it at a huge loss (and worth it). I have not purchased a BMW since. Btw, always had the BMW's because my kids were young and I needed 4 real seats. There really is nothing like a Porsche in it's price range
Just out of curiosity, if your ‘12 M3 was in and out of the shop so much why didn’t you sue under the provisions of your state’s Lemon Law (that is, if your state had one at the time). In CA standing it is something like 3 times in the shop, or a set number of days in the shop within a certain time frame with an unsuccessful resolution. After that, you file suit and typically settle on a buyback or buyout - you usually lose money ovrall but not as much as just trading in or selling it.

BTW, congrats on the new car. The beauty of a 911 is that there are enough variations on the theme for most everyone to find something that they love.

Quick Reply: GTS Cab traded in for 991.2 GTS Targa - bittersweet