Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Roof Transport System Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Based on your handle, and the fact your thread is about a bike rack, I have to ask, do you own a Speedvagen?
Originally Posted by Speedvagen

Yes! I love mine....super comfy ride but not one that I use if I want to climb or go fast. Do you have one?
I would have liked a Speedvagen but the wait was too, too long so I went with a Parlee Z-Zero that only took 2 months to build and deliver. It hasn’t disappointed me once in four years.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kellen
Ebay gives some hope. Looks like the mini coopers are the same. Link. If the same length could remove the base and attach.
Interesting thought - I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the idea!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Originally Posted by Tcc1999

I would have liked a Speedvagen but the wait was too, too long so I went with a Parlee Z-Zero that only took 2 months to build and deliver. It hasn’t disappointed me once in four years.
i just picked up a Parlee Altum a couple of months ago. Great bike - I have it down to 14.5 lbs....its my climbing bike!
Parlee makes some awesome bikes.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i just picked up a Parlee Altum a couple of months ago. Great bike - I have it down to 14.5 lbs....its my climbing bike!
Parlee makes some awesome bikes.
My Z-Zero is 11.6 pounds; it almost goes uphill by itself. Lots of light components but the only insanely stupid light one was a CF Gelu saddle at 48 grams (yes, it broke after about six months and I got a replacement under warranty that I may or may not use). It is pretty much a bespoke project bike that I ride for fun and the only racing it does are hill climbs. For 911 content, I hate to admit it but I put more money and miles into/on my bikes than my car.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:47 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

So this went from a mildly interesting cab-topic to an incredibly boring pushbike topic in no time...

Old 12-14-2018, 02:18 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 12-14-2018, 02:26 AM
Speedvagen
Racer

Thanks.....but $1400 is way more than I want to spend!!!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Thanks.....but $1400 is way more than I want to spend!!!
I see it as $150 ?
Old 12-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

I see it as $150 ?
For some reason I can’t open that link to the classified post. I get an error message - says I don’t have permission.
Any ideas on how to get around it?

BTW - I did a search for roof racks in the Parts classifieds and thought the one you were trying to show me was the $1400 one!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:14 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Whoa! I didn't know that existed either. I could get even stranger looks with skis or mountain bike on the car with that setup (and car)! Evidently I bought the very last 996/997 Coupe RTS in stock in North America last summer, so I don't think you'll be able to find new 996/997 bars that way.

The bars would be the same as the normal porsche/thule factory bars of the era and you could get them in the US, but Thule changed their aero bars recently and many(most) shops wouldn't have the old style. My friend has the exact same cross bars from Thule with Thule towers on his Subaru Legacy sedan so they're not that uncommon and they were definitely available in the US until just the last couple years. They were called "Euro Bars" as I recall, but definitely were NOT Europe only. I'm pretty sure BMW racks also used that Thule cross bar up through 2012 or 2014. The new aero bars are much thinner and look much different. They are extruded as one long piece of aluminum and can be cut to length and can be drilled for the attachment point. The coupe bars are about 38" so anything longer than 40 should work, but longer such as 48" would give you more to work with. A metal cutoff wheel in a miter saw will cut through that Al like butter. The end-caps are standard Thule fare. Make sure they come with the keys for the look cores. If you can rivet them, I think you'll have a tighter connection, but if not use a button head hex bolt (stainless if possible) so the end cap can pass by and some red locktite on the threads. The bars see alot of vibration both up through the chassis and from the wind, and you don't want the nut to back off.

I think you should be able to find the bars on Craigslist in your area in the longer lengths. Lots of people who use them with Sea-Kayaks/Paddleboards and such get the really long bars. Just throw away or sell whatever towers they came with.

Last edited by GoldenGorilla; 12-14-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoefhaus
So this went from a mildly interesting cab-topic to an incredibly boring pushbike topic in no time...

You're an embarrassment to your nation... The velominati will send the Cannibal to set you on the right path.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:39 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Thanks for the tip! I’ll scout out the BMW cross bars. It would make sense that they are the same as the Porsche ones, at least in how they attach to the base.

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
Whoa! I didn't know that existed either. I could get even stranger looks with skis or mountain bike on the car with that setup (and car)! Evidently I bought the very last 996/997 Coupe RTS in stock in North America last summer, so I don't think you'll be able to find new 996/997 bars that way.

The bars would be the same as the normal porsche/thule factory bars of the era and you could get them in the US, but Thule changed their aero bars recently and many(most) shops wouldn't have the old style. My friend has the exact same cross bars from Thule with Thule towers on his Subaru Legacy sedan so they're not that uncommon and they were definitely available in the US until just the last couple years. They were called "Euro Bars" as I recall, but definitely were NOT Europe only. I'm pretty sure BMW racks also used that Thule cross bar up through 2012 or 2014. The new aero bars are much thinner and look much different. They are extruded as one long piece of aluminum and can be cut to length and can be drilled for the attachment point. The coupe bars are about 38" so anything longer than 40 should work, but longer such as 48" would give you more to work with. A metal cutoff wheel in a miter saw will cut through that Al like butter. The end-caps are standard Thule fare. Make sure they come with the keys for the look cores. If you can rivet them, I think you'll have a tighter connection, but if not use a button head hex bolt (stainless if possible) so the end cap can pass by and some red locktite on the threads. The bars see alot of vibration both up through the chassis and from the wind, and you don't want the nut to back off.

I think you should be able to find the bars on Craigslist in your area in the longer lengths. Lots of people who use them with Sea-Kayaks/Paddleboards and such get the really long bars. Just throw away or sell whatever towers they came with.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

You're an embarrassment to your nation... The velominati will send the Cannibal to set you on the right path.

Even worse is that my office is located about 300m down the road from the Merckx bicycle factory
Old 12-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Could you do me a favor and measure the cross bar from the inside hole at the bottom that attaches to the base to the other inside hole on the far side? There are 2 holes at the bottom of opposite sides of the cross bars. I’d like to see the distance between the closest holes if that makes sense.
I think I found BMW cross bars that may work but want to make sure they are long enough to attach to the bases.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

The cross bars don't look any different from the regular roof rack for non convertible 997s. Seems like the only difference would be instead of attaching to the feet for the coupe they attach to those arms on the convertible. Length may differ but they seem very similar. I'm local if you want to look at my rack and see if it fits.

I would probably just buy new bars for the car though from thule/yakima. Can drill a hole through them, then connect to your A/C pillar towers.
Do you have the Porsche racks and bar? Where in Seattle are you located?

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Roof Transport System Help