Sponsored by:

Cabriolet Roof Transport System Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cabriolet Roof Transport System Help

Does anyone own the Porsche Roof Transport System for their Cab? I was gifted the system but it’s missing the cross bars. Does anyone know how the Porsche cross bars attach to the base (ie, the metal sides that attach to the A and C pillars)? Looks like it may just screw in but talking with Thule (they made the bars for Porsche), they think it needs some type of feet to slide into and the feet screws into the side bases.

The Porsche cross bars are no longer available. Trying to find another bar that may work. Any close up pictures of how the cross bars attach would be appreciated!

Stock photo of the rack on a cab
Old 12-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry, no personal experience with the RTS - In fact, I didn't even know something like this even existed for the cab until this thread! It's actually pretty neat.

I did find a few close-ups in the links below which may help you. One is of the 986 Boxster from the same era as the 996 RTS that you're working with, but I'm gonna say it's exactly the same ... Looks like the feet that you're referring to that slide in are locking covers to hide the bolts and keep whatever attachments you're using in the cross bar from being stolen by a would-be thief?

Good luck!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...-Roof_Rack.htm

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rt-system.html
Old 12-09-2018, 11:16 AM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

FYI, the photos from the links which I think help with what you're looking for. You can zoom right in on the 1st one.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Are the bars shown in your photo not the cross-bars?

The system was made for Porsche by Thule. You may consider contacting Thule directly.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Thanks for the help guys. I don’t have the cross bars as I just grabbed a photo of the system online.
i did find the close-up photos after I posted and sent those to Thule and am waiting to hear back. I also sent those to a local rack/hitch store in Seattle to see if the have anything that fits.

i did find someone selling the entire system but since I only need the cross bars, seems like a waste of money to buy the whole thing just for the cross bars. But I may have to do that if Thule or my local rack shop can’t help.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:19 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

The cross bars don't look any different from the regular roof rack for non convertible 997s. Seems like the only difference would be instead of attaching to the feet for the coupe they attach to those arms on the convertible. Length may differ but they seem very similar. I'm local if you want to look at my rack and see if it fits.

I would probably just buy new bars for the car though from thule/yakima. Can drill a hole through them, then connect to your A/C pillar towers.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I would bet Dollars to doughnuts that the crossbars are the same as many other Thule sets, with the only difference being length. Those crossbars are extrusions and have a cross-section that looks identical to a set we used to have.

I’m sure with a little drilling and cutting, you could make almost any Thule cross bars of the same vintage work.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Based on your handle, and the fact your thread is about a bike rack, I have to ask, do you own a Speedvagen?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Originally Posted by Iceter
I would bet Dollars to doughnuts that the crossbars are the same as many other Thule sets, with the only difference being length. Those crossbars are extrusions and have a cross-section that looks identical to a set we used to have.

I’m sure with a little drilling and cutting, you could make almost any Thule cross bars of the same vintage work.
Thule advised me that the bars were only available in Europe and not for the US and they were discontinued a few years ago. So I would need to try to find a used Thule euro version which wouldn’t be very easy. So it looks like I will have to have to have my local rack shop to modify some bars. I’d rather have them do some drilling and cutting than me!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Based on your handle, and the fact your thread is about a bike rack, I have to ask, do you own a Speedvagen?
Yes! I love mine....super comfy ride but not one that I use if I want to climb or go fast. Do you have one?
Old 12-10-2018, 06:47 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you open your roof when that setup is bolted on?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Nope - the top will hit the cross bars. Porsche recommends you pull the fuse for the top to stop from accidentally opening the top.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedvagen

Thule advised me that the bars were only available in Europe and not for the US and they were discontinued a few years ago. So I would need to try to find a used Thule euro version which wouldn’t be very easy. So it looks like I will have to have to have my local rack shop to modify some bars. I’d rather have them do some drilling and cutting than me!
hmm

Hmm. I stand corrected. I’m very surprised they had a Euro version and a different one for the States. I guess they had different suppliers for each extrusion. That’s frustrating!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:57 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Ebay gives some hope. Looks like the mini coopers are the same. Link. If the same length could remove the base and attach.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:04 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I would guess it is the same system as for the 996, in which case you can find some detailed pictures here:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rt-system.html

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Roof Transport System Help