Sponsored by:

Xpel headlight film

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 07:55 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Xpel headlight film

I installed Xpel headlight film on my headlights and running lights a little over a month ago. It was actually easier than I thought it would be to install, but you definitely need a hair dryer in hot to do it. There is a note that says if there is any haze under the film it will go away in a couple weeks. Well a month later it was still there so I reached out to Xpel. They said something was wrong and that the haze seen in the picture will not go away on its own. I wish I know what caused the issue, but the representative did not know.

Anybody here know what could have caused this?

Either way the Xpel representative promptly shipped out a replacement film with no questions asked. The customer service of this company was incredible and I wanted to share that with others in case you were debating about purchasing something from them. I love to support businesses that have good customer support.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:30 PM
911997c2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had their yellow film on my last 911. I didn't have any issues with the install. Lasted many years. Was a perfect fit.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:48 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Xpel products and customer service are first rate. Always been happy with this vendor.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I have the film on my lights as well. Did you spray anything on the light before applying the film like soapy water. What did you clean the lenses with before applying the film. I clean them really well with at least 91% pure alcohol and then mist the lens with the same. This lets you move the film around to get it just right without the adhesive sticking to the light until you're ready, then you squeegee the alcohol out by wrapping a card or tint squeegee in a soft rag and that lets the adhesive bond with the lens - this technique works great for cell phone screen protectors by the way.

Your picture almost looks like you touched the film there dry, had to lift it to reposition and the adhesive on the back of the film got disturbed. This won't happen with the alcohol mist method.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:43 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have the film on my lights as well. Did you spray anything on the light before applying the film like soapy water. What did you clean the lenses with before applying the film. I clean them really well with at least 91% pure alcohol and then mist the lens with the same. This lets you move the film around to get it just right without the adhesive sticking to the light until you're ready, then you squeegee the alcohol out by wrapping a card or tint squeegee in a soft rag and that lets the adhesive bond with the lens - this technique works great for cell phone screen protectors by the way.

Your picture almost looks like you touched the film there dry, had to lift it to reposition and the adhesive on the back of the film got disturbed. This won't happen with the alcohol mist method.
I did the 25% distilled water and 75% alcohol thing on both the headlight and the film when I applied it along with dousing my gloves. I cleaned the headlight before hand to remove any and all residue with IPA. I don’t remember touching it there dry but that was a month ago. I am going to reapply this weekend and make sure I IPA it really well again. Thanks Pete.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:31 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

For anyone that has tried the yellow tint for headlights, have there any real negatives? Does it reduce light output for night driving enough to be a bad idea? I always liked it on 70's and 80's 911s and was considering since I wanted headlight protection anyway. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:40 AM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I looks to me like it might be some detached clear-coat on the lens. When I installed my film I first removed the clear-coat (I had a fair amount of oxidation anyways) and then polished the lens before applying the film. One light was almost perfect from the first and the other took a few weeks to clear up, so yours is truly perplexing. My wife's Prius had the clear-coat come off in smaller flakes. Your picture reminds me somewhat of that.

Quick Reply: Xpel headlight film