Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking aloud: would you trade your 997.2 for an M2 Comp.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

I wouldn't trade my particular 997 for anything outside of a Carrera GT or 918 Spyder, but seems like that's not very likely to happen. My wife's, I'd trade for a Macan Turbo or GTS, so I could get my truck back as my DD since the kids are now too big for her to use her 997 as her DD....but she won't get rid of hers. For a BMW, any BMW, no way. I have a friend that works at the Spartanburg, SC Assembly facility in management and gets a different model to drive personally about every 4 months and I'm just not all that impressed with them.

For a more practical replacement to your M4, instead of the Audi, check out a Macan - they're the right size for DD duty, and drive more like a sports car than any other similarly practical vehicle.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:56 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I have heard the M2 is the only desirable BMW performance car nowadays. Probably still too electronically assisted but much closer to classic golden age M cars than other current offerings. I personally wouldn't swap but can understand if someone did. I couldn't care less for the current M3/4s but everytime I see a M2 I would still give it a good look.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:33 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 743 Likes on 425 Posts

I agree with people above saying that the only car I would trade my Porsche for is a Porsche. I was never a brand weirdo until last Feb. when I got my C2S. I would trade up to a GT3. That is about it. M cars are great. I have driven a lot of them but never as a daily. The intangible essence of a Porsche goes far beyond any ///Magic.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:50 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

Great comparison. I’ve been #1 on the list at my BMW dealer for the then rumored M2CSL. I also had opportunities to buy the M2 (not special) and then M2CS (would not trade my C4S for it). I put money down on that car almost 4 years ago. I bought my 997.2 a year ago while I was waiting. But now there is uncertainty of BMW producing an M2CSL at all. After owning a Porsche I do not think I can go back to BMW. They’re not the cars they were when I was growing up. And at the ripe old age of 35, I think I’m a little too old for a 2-series.......

As an aside, can BMW really keep using the “ultimate driving machine” slogan anymore? Seems so hollow.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
Great comparison. I’ve been #1 on the list at my BMW dealer for the then rumored M2CSL. I also had opportunities to buy the M2 (not special) and then M2CS (would not trade my C4S for it). I put money down on that car almost 4 years ago. I bought my 997.2 a year ago while I was waiting. But now there is uncertainty of BMW producing an M2CSL at all. After owning a Porsche I do not think I can go back to BMW. They’re not the cars they were when I was growing up. And at the ripe old age of 35, I think I’m a little too old for a 2-series.......

As an aside, can BMW really keep using the “ultimate driving machine” slogan anymore? Seems so hollow.
Someone else posted the same question here recently and suggested "the ultimate leasing machine" instead.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,780 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Someone else posted the same question here recently and suggested "the ultimate profit machine" instead.
FIFY
Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Has anyone replied no yet? I'm saying no.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:40 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

0% Chance
Old 12-01-2018, 04:21 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

I haven't driven an M2.

I owned a 135i M-sport and would buy another in a heartbeat. It was a very fun car, and a heck of a bargain for under $20k.

I have to say; my 997.2 feels VERY pedestrian compared to my wife's GT4. That car is what I had hoped the C4S would feel like, but doesn't. The GT4 feels like a true sports car: the suspension, shifter feel, engine sound, and balance are sublime. It is a special car. It isn't that the GT4 is faster, but it is significantly more involving, like what the 911 used to be and has moved away from since the 993 models went away.

Then again, one is a $55k car, and one is a $90k car. Not exactly apples to apples. The GT4 beats the crap out of any $90k 991 on the market too as well, if you want an involving sports car and not a GT car.

I think the sweet spot is something cheaper and older from BMW, like a 135iM or a E46 M3.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
No.

Nuf sed.
No.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Someone else posted the same question here recently and suggested "the ultimate leasing machine" instead.
I can attest to this. I have a 2017 M3 Competition Package with a manual transmission and find nothing redeeming about the car. I honestly force myself to drive it to use the leased miles I paid for. On top of that, I cannot sell it. I kind of just gave up trying.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I had a new 2008 BMW 535 with 6spd manual. That car was a nightmare. When it ran well it was quite nice but much of the time it was being repaired at the dealer ( many times) so I was was oftten driving 328 loaners ( not impressed with those). That BMW was my first and last.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:50 AM
jpdp
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow - so much BMW hate !!!

As the OP said, he's definitely not doing it, just thinking out aloud, so just saying no isn't all that helpful.

I like Porsches and I also like BMW's I currently have 2 of each (125i, M4 + Macan S & 997.1 C2S)
Each car has it's good points and bad points.

The S55 motor in the M4 is awesome I have a custom exhaust, intake and tune and it sounds much more like a Nissan R34 GTR than a stock M4.

If you were to daily drive a lot, the M2 is more practical and the interior ergonomics are better - but it won't have that premium feel or true sports car experience.

In summary, if you need 4 seats and do a lot of daily driving and you can't quite afford a 997.2 (on a lease, the M2 is way less money) then the M2's a pretty good choice.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
I haven't driven an M2.

I owned a 135i M-sport and would buy another in a heartbeat. It was a very fun car, and a heck of a bargain for under $20k.

I have to say; my 997.2 feels VERY pedestrian compared to my wife's GT4. That car is what I had hoped the C4S would feel like, but doesn't. The GT4 feels like a true sports car: the suspension, shifter feel, engine sound, and balance are sublime. It is a special car. It isn't that the GT4 is faster, but it is significantly more involving, like what the 911 used to be and has moved away from since the 993 models went away.

Then again, one is a $55k car, and one is a $90k car. Not exactly apples to apples. The GT4 beats the crap out of any $90k 991 on the market too as well, if you want an involving sports car and not a GT car.

I think the sweet spot is something cheaper and older from BMW, like a 135iM or a E46 M3.
For your 911, you should have selected a RWD model instead of a 4S. With some exhaust and suspension mods, you'd then have the more playful driving dynamics, sound, and handling that you like in the GT4.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:21 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
For your 911, you should have selected a RWD model instead of a 4S. With some exhaust and suspension mods, you'd then have the more playful driving dynamics, sound, and handling that you like in the GT4.
Yeah, I agree, but looking into those options, it is almost $9k to bring the car up to snuff. That seems like a lot for a car that sold for $110k back in 2009.

A $110k car (997.2 4S) that is branded as a sportscar should be at GT4 levels out of the box, no? After all, the GT4 only stickered at $104k, and that is 7 years later than the $110k C4S. The engines are identical, gearbox is better in the GT4, and it has carbon buckets; they have been using the 997 chassis since 1999 and have long since recouped all development costs, and therefore price can't be a consideration of the 4S' lower levels of engagement.

I wouldn't say the C4S is any more comfortable; only much less engaging. The GT4 is sharper, more visceral, and more involving in every way. Outside of it being a big nosier, it is just as good or better on the highway too.

After driving the GT4, my first comment was "wow, this is what I always assumed a 911 drove like". Then again, if I get back into a M-car (such as the M4), any 911 is much more involving than the M-car.

I suppose I don't understand why the GT4 setup isn't available in a standard Carrera. Not everyone wants a $175k track-ready car like the GT3, but a comp version of a base or C2S with GT3 suspension, less sound deadening, and a better 6MT box out of the GT4 would be special.

I thought that was the car that the 911T was supposed to be, but from what I hear, it isn't. I have driven a 991.2 with SPASM and 7MT back to back to the GT4, and the suspension is nothing alike. Maybe the "T" is more than that, but from what I have heard, it isn't. I suppose it does Porsche good to push people into the much more expensive GT3 platform if they are considering a 911, but not everyone has $160k+ to spend on a car.

I digress however! Back to the topic at hand, I don't know if I would shell out $60k for an M2. $35k? Sure! $20k for a 135i manual? I would be all over that!

Quick Reply: Thinking aloud: would you trade your 997.2 for an M2 Comp.