Sponsored by:

Looking at 2005 997 with 106k

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:59 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
^^^When my 2007 C4S went in for clutch and RMS 3 weeks ago, my indy pulled the IMS shaft/inspected it and looked in excellent condition, resealed shaft and also removed the rear seal on the bearing which is recommended for more oil flow into bearing.

*From Jake Raby's post couple years ago:
"The M97 engines have now been in service for over 8 years. The IMSB failures that we see 8 years in with these engines barely registers on the scale with what we saw at 8 years, or even 6 years time in service with the M96 engines. Back in those days we were the only guys researching the IMSB failure and developing fixes for it and comparing the figures today tells us the story."
why did you pull the IMS shaft and seal then?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:38 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,912 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

why did you pull the IMS shaft and seal then?
Why not? Any chance to replace seals & increase lubrication is a no brainer even if failure rate is miniscule.
Also the reason I spent an extra $500 to replace the clutch when I was only replacing RMS due to slight seepage. Also inspected flywheel.
Do as much as you can while transmission is removed.
And always remember, majority of RL 997 IMS posts are small % of owners who experience problems and live in a gloom and doom world.
996 a totally different story and why I replaced the IMS bearing in all (3) 996 C4S's I've owned.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:59 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Why not? Any chance to replace seals & increase lubrication is a no brainer even if failure rate is miniscule.
Also the reason I spent an extra $500 to replace the clutch when I was only replacing RMS due to slight seepage. Also inspected flywheel.
Do as much as you can while transmission is removed.
And always remember, majority of RL 997 IMS posts are small % of owners who experience problems and live in a gloom and doom world.
996 a totally different story and why I replaced the IMS bearing in all (3) 996 C4S's I've owned.
I guess my point is, 8% failure or 1% failure what is really the difference from a phycological standpoint? Despite the low failure rate you still acted on it, really no different than one with an early 997 or 996 would. The difference is if you have the smaller bearing you can replace it with a new dual row ceramic bearing that supports the same load as the larger single row.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:57 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I guess my point is, 8% failure or 1% failure what is really the difference from a phycological standpoint? Despite the low failure rate you still acted on it, really no different than one with an early 997 or 996 would. The difference is if you have the smaller bearing you can replace it with a new dual row ceramic bearing that supports the same load as the larger single row.

There's a big difference from a psychological standpoint - Almost 10% failure rate would put me in more of a defensive mode regarding IMS and that's why I upgraded my 996 C4S's IMS bearing.
0-1% failure rate to me is nothing and really no different than any other normal wear and tear item
*I look at and have experienced Porsche engine issues from a big picture - Not sure how long you've been a Porsche owner but in my 35 years, aircooled 911's (which I've owned several of each model) had way higher failure rates on engine related items:
- 78-83 911sc head studs & chain tensioners - required top end rebuild & chain guides upgraded
-78-83 911sc Transmission syncros failing - required transmission rebuild
-1985/86 Carrera worn valve guides - required head rebuild
-964 engine seals - '89.'90,'91 models - required engine re-seal
-993 clogged air passages - required head rebuilt
Those failure rates were probably 95% of cars manufactured and required major engine work which at the time was equivalent to 40-50% of the cars market value so I just don't see a 1% failure rate as being something to be concerned about.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:54 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

So boring when I'm right and debate ends...oh well
Old 11-29-2018, 07:08 PM
byrona8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds About right to me.

I recently came over from the BMW world. I'm enjoying the C2 more than the M5 so it going up for sale.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:20 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

So boring when I'm right and debate ends...oh well
One, you and I have two different perspectives on life if you can’t find something better to do then debate on forums. Two, if that is how you want to see things, zero sweat on my end

FWIW, I appreciated the data on older 911s, sometimes people loose perspective .

Last edited by bgoetz; 11-29-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's the car. Shows 5 owners. It should have the small IMS due to the early year production. Good service records to me.I love the cream CAB, but I want PDK or TIP

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=223521987

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AA29905S716066/

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AA29905S716066
Old 11-29-2018, 09:40 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

That looks like a great car and would definitely have the smaller IMS given the product date. At 106k and no issues I might consider seeing about getting $3k knocked off and then either not having the IMS done and just enjoying the car. Or taking it to a LNE certified installer and giving them $3k to do the IMS and clutch. IMO having a certified installer do the work adds value to the IMS service.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:09 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

One, you and I have two different perspectives on life if you can’t find something better to do then debate on forums. Two, if that is how you want to see things, zero sweat on my end

FWIW, I appreciated the data on older 911s, sometimes people loose perspective .
I was just messing with you - glad you came back
Maybe you can see my perspective on things when it comes to the gloom and doom talk of our beloved 997's - When compared to early 011 ownership, 997's are a walk in the park
Old 11-29-2018, 11:23 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

I was just messing with you - glad you came back
Maybe you can see my perspective on things when it comes to the gloom and doom talk of our beloved 997's - When compared to early 011 ownership, 997's are a walk in the park
I actually couldn’t agree more, I think we were maybe just misunderstanding each other a bit. FWIW, I have an early 05 997 and I personally don’t think either years are that big of a deal.

Forums and all the negative PR however really makes proactively doing something whether replacing a bearing or removing a seal make sense. The value in the resale world coupled with doing something you were going to need to do anyway (clutch) really makes it hard to just not do it, despite and personal risk threshold. For that reason I will begrudgingly give in to the hysteria.

That was where I was going with my original comment
Old 11-30-2018, 12:21 AM
byrona8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Here's the car. Shows 5 owners. It should have the small IMS due to the early year production. Good service records to me.I love the cream CAB, but I want PDK or TIP

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=223521987

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AA29905S716066/

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AA29905S716066

Looks really clean and nice!!

Get it with IMS done or lower it!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:40 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

That looks like a nice car and if they throw in the clutch replacement when they change out the IMS, seems like a fair deal - Why not have them throw in a set of front brake pads and sensors too! OR pay them for the labor to install.
If they give you any crap about the cost of clutch, tell them they can order brand new OEM Sachs Clutch Kit & RMS including shipping from RennPart in SC for $533. Get the brake pads and sensors from RennPart too!
What the hell, maybe pick up water pump & Thermostat have them install that too unless there is a service record for it being done?
If they balk, remind them it's the holidays and everyone should be a in a giving mood!
Good luck!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:48 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I actually couldn’t agree more, I think we were maybe just misunderstanding each other a bit. FWIW, I have an early 05 997 and I personally don’t think either years are that big of a deal.

Forums and all the negative PR however really makes proactively doing something whether replacing a bearing or removing a seal make sense. The value in the resale world coupled with doing something you were going to need to do anyway (clutch) really makes it hard to just not do it, despite and personal risk threshold. For that reason I will begrudgingly give in to the hysteria.

That was where I was going with my original comment
Understand - IMO everyone needs to remember RL 997 Forum is such a small % of Porsche 997 owners and most are here due to mechanical issues which is why everyone seems so amped up and fearful.
The 996 Forum was a lot worse but always entertaining.
Not to mention the new member jackasses who have nothing to contribute but unsubstantiated BS
Old 11-30-2018, 02:05 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Not to mention the new member jackasses who have nothing to contribute but unsubstantiated BS
Ouch! What is the time or post count cutoff for being a new member jackass? I want to see if I make the cut.

Also, if I am grandfathered in to the old-school group, can I still reserve the right to occasionally post unsubstantiated bull$hit? Sometimes it's just fun.

Quick Reply: Looking at 2005 997 with 106k