997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 GTS for sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018 | 08:35 AM
rap
Racer

Opinions are like ————, everyone has one. Choose a car you like, for whatever reason, drive and enjoy it. Pretty simple.
Old 11-25-2018 | 01:16 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Typical Rennlist: someone posts info about a car with the spirit of sharing in case someone else in the community might be interested. Haters take the opportunity to **** on the thread and provide their unsolicited opinions about said car/model and why their ***** is bigger than everyone else's. It's understandable if the OP asked for everyone's opinion about the GTS vs GTx cars, but this was not the case.

I joined RL several years ago and was a paying member but it's because of **** like this that I don't participate as much as I would like. Things never change.

[/end soapbox]
Old 11-25-2018 | 01:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

To get back on track, that GTS does not appear to have an OEM aerokit wing. I brought up the build sheet and it does not have the Aerokit Cup Package. So it is probably an aftermarket wing, looks to be TechArt.
Old 11-25-2018 | 04:23 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Not factory aero,,,, can’t believe I missed that.
Old 11-25-2018 | 04:25 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Typical Rennlist...unsolicited opinions about said car/model and why their ***** is bigger than everyone else's.

[/end soapbox]
Well, now that you mention it, my ***** IS pretty big.
Old 11-25-2018 | 07:11 PM
blakecam
Pro

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I don't disagree with that but the market is what it is and apparently enough buyers are willing to pay that kind of premium where GTS's priced like that are moving.
Exactly this. If GTS's weren't worth roughly $20K more than C2S's, then nobody would pay it and GTS prices would fall. Much the same as the astronomical price difference between a 993 C2 and C2S. The value of a 993 C2S is significantly higher based primarily on its wider hips, as there is really nothing else to distinguish it from a narrow body C2. Never underestimate the value of buyers' emotions in the sports car market, and a free market will always determine sales prices, regardless of how we justify our opinions.
Old 11-26-2018 | 02:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by blakecam
Exactly this. If GTS's weren't worth roughly $20K more than C2S's, then nobody would pay it and GTS prices would fall. Much the same as the astronomical price difference between a 993 C2 and C2S. The value of a 993 C2S is significantly higher based primarily on its wider hips, as there is really nothing else to distinguish it from a narrow body C2. Never underestimate the value of buyers' emotions in the sports car market, and a free market will always determine sales prices, regardless of how we justify our opinions.
I thought more about this. The X-51 kit that comes standard on the GTS is $14,000 at Suncoast. The PSE which also comes standard is $2,550 and the GTS exhaust tips are almost $900. Add the difference in price for the wide body based on the difference in price between a C2S and a C4S (or a C2 and a C4) and a $20,000 premium over a C2S doesn't sound so crazy anymore. And whether you like or hate CL wheels, alcantera steering wheel and trim, all that is basically thrown in for free along with the aerokit like front bumper.
Old 11-26-2018 | 02:43 AM
J_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I thought more about this. The X-51 kit that comes standard on the GTS is $14,000 at Suncoast. The PSE which also comes standard is $2,550 and the GTS exhaust tips are almost $900. Add the difference in price for the wide body based on the difference in price between a C2S and a C4S (or a C2 and a C4) and a $20,000 premium over a C2S doesn't sound so crazy anymore. And whether you like or hate CL wheels, alcantera steering wheel and trim, all that is basically thrown in for free along with the aerokit like front bumper.
Excellent observation, and the best post of the weekend!
Old 11-29-2018 | 03:57 AM
fat_louis
Advanced

I just got a 997.2 GTS Coupe because I like the car and I think it will hold its value better than an "S."
Don't think I overpaid or paid too much of a premium over an S. It made sense to me. Everyone has a different perception of price and value.
I always wanted a Porsche but wanted a newer car instead of say a 993.
There are a bunch of GTS for sale right now but I think the prices are crazy ($80K range). They have half the miles of the car I bought, but I like to buy nice drivers, not bubble cars.
Enjoying the car. All that really matters. Will be interesting in 5 or 10 years what the car will be worth and if my forecasts were correct.
Old 12-02-2018 | 01:46 PM
Kaih
Track Day

Hi all,
Im just chiming in as a first time 911 owner. I think more than anything to tell my story of my absolute excitement of being so fortunate as to own one of these special cars.. I had been saving for a 911 for some time and I thought I knew what exactly it was that I wanted.
It had to be a 997.1 or 997.2 Carrera s or 997.1 turbo in 6mt.
i drove a few c2s's and one 4s. I never did drive a turbo though.
The day before my birthday, I went to a local dealer to look at a 2007 turbo. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend but I thought hey it's my b-day tomorrow.
While I was there, I saw a 2011gts in black with 6mt, 46000km it was there getting a fresh set of tires. The sales rep said the owner was considering selling it.
i went home and did some research on this first edition of the GTS and was really intrigued.
i started hunting for the owner and low and behold a week later I found him and to make a long story short, 10 days after my birthday, I had my first Porsche in the garage!!!
In the end, I spend more than I was hoping to on my first 911 but almost everytime I run into a veteran 911 owner, they comment on how special this car actually is.
I feel like I got the right car for me. I live on an amazing twisty piece of highway between whistler and Vancouver and couldn't imagine needing a turbo or GT3. (Unless maybe if I start to take her to the track). This car is so fast and holds the road like it's on rails.
After 3 1/2 months I still go into the garage some nights to just go have a look at her.
Today, I don't think about the extra money I paid, I'm just grateful to be in this prestigious club with you gentlemen.

Last edited by Kaih; 12-02-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2018 | 02:10 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default If I only had a 2 car garage

and the need for a daily driver and the budget to support 2 cars for me, I’d have this baby. Over the past year, on Manheim auction site, there have been less than 5 in the US up for auction. Manheim is where the dealers trade.
Old 12-02-2018 | 06:35 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Originally Posted by Kaih
Hi all,
Im just chiming in as a first time 911 owner. I think more than anything to tell my story of my absolute excitement of being so fortunate as to own one of these special cars.. I had been saving for a 911 for some time and I thought I knew what exactly it was that I wanted.
It had to be a 997.1 or 997.2 Carrera s or 997.1 turbo in 6mt.
i drove a few c2s's and one 4s. I never did drive a turbo though.
The day before my birthday, I went to a local dealer to look at a 2007 turbo. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend but I thought hey it's my b-day tomorrow.
While I was there, I saw a 2011gts in black with 6mt, 46000km it was there getting a fresh set of tires. The sales rep said the owner was considering selling it.
i went home and did some research on this first edition of the GTS and was really intrigued.
i started hunting for the owner and low and behold a week later I found him and to make a long story short, 10 days after my birthday, I had my first Porsche in the garage!!!
In the end, I spend more than I was hoping to on my first 911 but almost everytime I run into a veteran 911 owner, they comment on how special this car actually is.
I feel like I got the right car for me. I live on an amazing twisty piece of highway between whistler and Vancouver and couldn't imagine needing a turbo or GT3. (Unless maybe if I start to take her to the track). This car is so fast and holds the road like it's on rails.
After 3 1/2 months I still go into the garage some nights to just go have a look at her.
Today, I don't think about the extra money I paid, I'm just grateful to be in this prestigious club with you gentlemen.

Old 12-02-2018 | 07:38 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

.1 GT3 for the Mezger I suppose and entirely doable as DD to me. That said, the GTS is well worth a $20k premium over an S for reasons Sandwedges proffers, but the car is the complete package. An unmolested, low mile 997.2 GTS price will remain pretty flat and may even rise gently over time. The plain Ss will continue to drop over time. Throw a factory aero kit and manual in a GTS Coupe and it will always be worth $$$.
Old 12-02-2018 | 08:30 PM
Kaih
Track Day

Originally Posted by Doug H
.1 GT3 for the Mezger I suppose and entirely doable as DD to me. That said, the GTS is well worth a $20k premium over an S for reasons Sandwedges proffers, but the car is the complete package. An unmolested, low mile 997.2 GTS price will remain pretty flat and may even rise gently over time. The plain Ss will continue to drop over time. Throw a factory aero kit and manual in a GTS Coupe and it will always be worth $$$.
the Mezger motor in the 997.1 turbo was the big reason that I wanted that car initially. From what I understand, it is bombproof.
Maybe a few years down the road my garage will have space for a GT3.
here is a pic of my GTS

The following users liked this post:
maekwl (07-09-2021)
Old 12-03-2018 | 02:00 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kaih
the Mezger motor in the 997.1 turbo was the big reason that I wanted that car initially. From what I understand, it is bombproof.
Maybe a few years down the road my garage will have space for a GT3.
here is a pic of my GTS

Beauty. Just like mine and I doubt I'll ever sell it. Don't sweat the extra $$ you paid. Read this:

There are probably few modern Porsche 911s that have held their value better than the 997 generation Carrera GTS, especially when you consider that (unlike its GT3 and GT3 RS siblings) its not a limited edition Neunelfer. Despite being launched over five years ago, depreciation has had little hold on the first 911s to bear the iconic ‘Carrera GTS’ moniker; while standard 997.2 Carreras have now dipped below £40,000, GTS-badged cars still sit at the £60,000-£70,000 mark.

https://www.total911.com/sales-spotl...carrera-4-gts/

Quick Reply: 997.2 GTS for sale