Sponsored by:

Winter Projects

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:25 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter Projects

Northeast Ohio here so don't judge that she is officially being put away for the winter. I have read enough to know the car should not be started once it's stored. This being the case, can I change my manual trans oil while it's just sitting? My garage is heated but it's not going to still be pretty cool in there. And no, I am not going to start the car and (obviously) not going to drive it. So, wait on this?

Other stuff on the list that I do not think matters;

- Fister D
- Brake shoes
- Replacing those sticky temp switches
- Doing a DIY center console paint job

I would love to know other winter folks here and what they're doing to their 997's. Heck, it might inspire me to do some more stuff.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:13 AM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Even though it doesn''t get that cold here in Tucson, I have plans to replace all of the hoses on my cooling system and get my Aero bumper mounted up. If my Bilsteins ever arrive, they'll go on as well.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by avonted
Northeast Ohio here so don't judge that she is officially being put away for the winter. I have read enough to know the car should not be started once it's stored. This being the case, can I change my manual trans oil while it's just sitting? My garage is heated but it's not going to still be pretty cool in there. And no, I am not going to start the car and (obviously) not going to drive it. So, wait on this?

Other stuff on the list that I do not think matters;

- Fister D
- Brake shoes
- Replacing those sticky temp switches
- Doing a DIY center console paint job

I would love to know other winter folks here and what they're doing to their 997's. Heck, it might inspire me to do some more stuff.

Thanks!
Wait until you can warm the transmission fluid with a drive before changing it. This does 2 things for you - makes it thinner so it drains better, but also mixes any tiny debris particles into the oil so they can drain out with it. Otherwise, they may just sit on the bottom of the case and not get mixed into solution until you start driving it again in the Spring. When doing the fluid replacement, the LN Engineering magnetic oil drain plug is the same thread spec as the bottom drain plug on the manual gearbox. I replaced the regular OEM plug with one of these when changing my fluid so that any ferrous particles from the gears will be pulled out of solution to the drain plug. Also, only use Mobillube PTX fluid - nothing else.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:27 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you - will do
Old 11-20-2018, 12:29 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 89 Posts

If I was you I would head to Brennan's in Grand River and have a perch dinner and a beer. Then you are in the correct mindset for thinking about projects.
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Quick Reply: Winter Projects