Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing between base and S 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 04:59 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I opted for the 997.2 over the 996/997 due to the IMS bearing. However, I would have been thrilled with a turbo 996/997, since it doesn't have the IMS bearing issues.

Wound up with a 2011 PDK C2S convertible. The S definitely has plenty of power, with selectable normal, sport and extra-sporty settings, the PASM button and the chrono package. It has the PCM 3.0, nav, bluetooth, ipod inputs, but it only has the manual seats and no memory functions. Kind of odd it was ordered that way in my thinking. The manual seats are ok, sturdy and supportive.

Honestly, since it is a convertible, I think I would have been plenty happy with the base model for daily driving. The S has extra oomph and sound and all, quite enjoyable. It effortlessly accelerates from 65-100 mph quite quickly. But the base model has plenty of fun for a daily driver.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:17 PM
pghpp70
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks again for all the help. I’m leaning towards the 997.2 base but if the right deal comes along for the 997.1S I would not be opposed. Hopefully I can fine a base with PASM. I was looking at a Targa online at 44 Auto Mart in KY. I’m not hip on buying from a small dealer and not sure if it comes with any maintenance history. I’d also like to avoid black if possible. It’s the best color but murder to keep up with.

Last edited by pghpp70; 11-16-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-15-2018, 11:49 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't want to start a flame war here but personally I would have zero concern buying well maintained 2006-2008 997.1 C2S. Its going to take luck or patience to find a good .2 C2 6sp. There were half as many .2s made vs .1s, the majority were PDK, and C2S's outsold C2s by a wide margin. Therefore my napkin math says you have like a 10x better chance of finding a nice .1 C2S vs .2 C2 :-)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:06 AM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a 997.2 (2010) rwd 6spd locally for a great price and jumped on it. I am a licensed racer and instructor, and while I haven’t taken this car to the track (nor plan to) I will admit to occasionally taking turns at 10/10ths with slipangle/sliding. Overall I’ve been incredibly impressed.

Do I wish I had PASM, yep, but I’ll just spend the extra money on suspension bits.

I personaly prefer 18” over 19”s due to weight, tire
cost, and not having to freak over pot holes. I put snows on stock wheels, and plan to get a set of 18” track wheels for the summer, with a more aggressive alignment.

Power is fine, although coming from an e90 M DD, I do want more of an exhaust note, so will do exhaust mod.

Another plus is MPG. I can get 28mpg on long highway trips!

BTW, one thing I've been amazed with is how inexpensive parts are. Since the suspension shares a ton of parts with so many different models I guess there's just a much greater supply then most other car parts. Literally finding parts a fraction of the cost of what they are for my Honda, and substantially less then my old m3

Last edited by josserman; 11-16-2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: adding
Old 11-16-2018, 03:58 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pghpp70
I am starting my search for a 997. It will be a summer car that I can enjoy with my kids (as long as I can fit them in the back). I am trying to choose between the base 997.2 and an S 997.1. My question is how well can I expect the base 997.2 to handle. I am not a racer, but I do like to go to Track Night in America a few times a summer. I have no doubt the base 997.2 will have enough power for me, I am just not up on how well it handles in comparison to say a 997.1 S. I know the brakes are not as robust as the S, but how good are they? What type of expense is it to upgrade the suspension and brakes down the road? Again, I am not setting speed records at the track, I just like to have some fun at a few track nights per year. Right now I run in the beginner group and will probably only go up to the intermediate level. I know I will get a lot of just get the S, but if I want to stick to the 997.2 the S is just a bit out of my reach price wise. There seems to be some really good deals available for a well equipped base 997.2.

Feedback is appreciated as it will help me on my search.

Thanks!
You are in the beginner going to an intermediate stage you say, the base carrera would be more than enough to unwind and get those speed rush out of your veins.
After the base carrera, get a 997 GTS. Forget about the carrera S.

After GTS, go next to an RS.

Racing are stages, it doesnt matter where you are, what matters is know your capabilities so you will be satisfied. It will make you a safer driver.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:10 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
You are in the beginner going to an intermediate stage you say, the base carrera would be more than enough to unwind and get those speed rush out of your veins.

Racing are stages, it doesnt matter where you are, what matters is know your capabilities so you will be satisfied. It will make you a safer driver.
totally disagree, almost any student I work with who gets to an advanced DE level, I strongly advice they either rent race cars or buy/build one. Once you’re at a certain level where you’re pushing the car at the peak or just above peak, I don’t think you should be in a street car anymore. At the very least you need to have a HANS device and harnesses/harness bar/roll bar, but a full caged log book car is really the best option.

This was my buddy who was hit, and we share the same cage builder who posted this.
View this post on Instagram

his engine gave in (almost new engine) mid downhill at lrp, dumped oil over the track, guy behind him hit the oil and went straight into his door at 90+mph

if he was in a street car he’d be dead.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:12 PM
pghpp70
Advanced

Lot’s of great advice guys, thanks! I love the car hunt and am looking forward to joining the club. Now I just have to wait out this long, cold winter.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:44 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After sleepless nights with IMS anxiety concerning my 996 C4S, I bought a 2009, 997.2 C2S with the new 9A1 DFI engine.
Each year, I drive about 5K miles on street, and in the Laurentian Mountains, and track it about 13 days, at the superb Mont Tremblant race track north of Montreal.
The car has PASM, a DSC module, EVOMS flash, IPD plenum, Fabspeed intake and centre muffler delete.
On track I use NT01 R compound tires, and PFC 08 pads.

I have CHOSEN to keep the suspension stock, and enjoy this superb sports car!
Previously, I lowered,(H&R), stiffened, (shocks), and sway barred, a C4S, and removed all the enjoyment from daily driving! Yes, it cornered flatter, and offered faster lap times, but at too great a cost.
The current set up is plenty fast, and I thoroughly enjoy my time in the Black DE run group.
When my wife suggests lunch 80 miles away, I am happy to have my comfortable, 'gentleman's sports car' available.

For a first car, I would suggest driving a stock suspension car until well into the DE experience, at least two years, and THEN decide if you are truly bitten by the 'need for speed' demon. Be forewarned, this a very slippery slope to descend, a wallet thinning venture, and a precursor to endless obsession.

Ultimately, one would have two cars, one for street, one for track only.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:20 PM
pghpp70
Advanced

I have run a couple of HPDE events, and what I can tell you is that I am very happy just running in the lower groups. I don’t like to beat on my car, i just can’t bring myself to do it. Someone else’s car sure . I enjoy getting out on the course, maybe pass a few people in the approved areas, and drive the car a lot faster than I can ever do safety on the road. I agree with you that I don’t want to ruin the ride in the pursuit of all out handling. I’m sure the 997.2 base will suit my needs, but I didn’t realize finding one in a 6 speed would be a challenge. No problem I’m not in a rush.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porscheconvert
Drive them both...test drive will speak to you.
^^^^This is what I've always been told, you should definitely know Which one you like the best! GL with your search, i'm just starting trying to find a 997 turbo so i'm kinda in the same boat you are! Decisions, Decisions
Old 11-16-2018, 10:03 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001

Quite some statements here, would like to understand better. You're saying skip Carrera S and GT3 (because too small of an incremental difference?) and favor base, GTS, and GT3 RS for progressing as a driver or getting the most value out of the cars performance differences? If I'm understanding this thought process correctly it does make some sense.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:15 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 742 Likes on 424 Posts

This is not exactly what you're asking but for me the performance difference was negligible and the failure rate of 997.1 3.8 engines is not significant enough to deter me from buying a well optioned 997.1 vs. a bare bones .2. I looked at both the .1 and the .2. I drove a few differently optioned versions of each. I never really made a decision though. What happened was a .1 popped up where the original owner ticked every box I would tick. The car had solid records, and the PPI was clean. It was a 12 year old car with 16k on the odo. I had been looking seriously for over a year but casually for almost 3. The second I saw the car, I knew. The only other car I would trade it for would be a GT3 but that is just me.

BTW, even with the Sport PASM, the car is a 4x4 IMO. I immediately did Fisters and Eibachs with 15mm spacers all around + a major service and new PS4S to hit a baseline when I got the car. I am very satisfied with it. The only thing that makes me feel weird is my friend's .2 GT3.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:10 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
Quite some statements here, would like to understand better. You're saying skip Carrera S and GT3 (because too small of an incremental difference?) and favor base, GTS, and GT3 RS for progressing as a driver or getting the most value out of the cars performance differences? If I'm understanding this thought process correctly it does make some sense.
exactly.

The situation here is base carrera vs S. For weekend DE and 4 seats. Start with the base IMO. Beat it up. It will take a lot of beating before you can say you tamed it already.

Now if you want to stay in the 4 seater, then you have the GTS which is more than enough for a weekend warrior. Race on a Sunday, school on a monday. You can stay there forever 408 hp stock. I call it the baby GT3. It is not baby in specs, but your baby can ride on it.

After the carrera are the GT cars. Do you really want to go there? How old are your kids? Because as long as they live with you, they would like to ride with you.

If you decide to go up the nonprofessional driving events, save some money and just get the RS. Get a 991.1 RS. After 3-4 years, a garage queen would be around 150's already.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default test

TESTING
Old 12-03-2018, 01:46 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Having owned both, I like the upgraded PASM on the S. Power increase is a bit noticeable but not substantial. A base with upgraded suspension (Ohlins) would be a great choice, and fairly affordable. I think the 997.2 looks a lot better than the .1 as well.

Get the 997.2 if you can.

Quick Reply: Choosing between base and S 997.2