Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Won't Start Full Power Loss when turning ignition key.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:23 PM
babaganoush512
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 997 Won't Start Full Power Loss when turning ignition key.

I recently had an issue where the good ol' ground wire that goes to the started almost caught fire. Hot start issue, with the ground wire.

I replaced the ground wire that goes from alternator to started to transmission and replaced the starter. Car started right up on the first try! Drove it around the block came back home parked it turned the car off and wanted to test the issue with the hot start so I tired to start it back up and all of a sudden nothing. All the lights fluttered and it seemed that the started was not getting power. Thought it would of been a bad starter, so I took everything back apart and took the started back to get it tested and all was good with the starter.

Put the starter back in got a new battery and still the same issue total power loss. Figured maybe the Ignition Switch so I replaced that, still not wanting to start. I tried to hook up the computer to it to see if I could read an error but I am unable to because when I turn the key all power is lost and car goes dead. I have to wait a few min then car regains power and all the lights come back on. I am totally lost at this point. Anything else I can check that might of fried because of the bad ground wire?

In addition I did find out that the smaller wire that connects to the starter that goes from the ignition was not putting out the 12v this is why I swapped out the ignition switch. I applied 12v directly to the started and it turned over with no issue. Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Parts already swapped out for new parts:
Ground Wire that connects alternator and starter to ground by the transmission.
Starter
Battery
Ignition Switch
Old 11-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Check the connection for the negative battery cable to the chassis.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:37 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Mine did the same thing. It was the clutch interlock switch. Seems to be fairly common.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Dogdoc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same problem

Hey, I see this is a relatively new post. I’m having a similar problem with my 2009 997tt cab. Key fob unlocks the door, I get in and insert key and.....nothing. No bells, clicks or dash lights. I can operate anything that doesn’t require the key insertion such as seat adjustment abd radio but windows and top won’t operate. Also interesting that driver’s side window us permanently 2 inches down and steering wheel lock is disengaged.
So, I replaced: battery, ignition switch, both clutch switches and I tried both keys. I can’t use my scanner because it needs the ignition to be on.
I’m at a loss. I’m wondering what your issue ended up being.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2019, 11:24 PM
marucus1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bheit1
Mine did the same thing. It was the clutch interlock switch. Seems to be fairly common.
i assumed that you have a 6 speed. how about the tiptronic version?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:50 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by marucus1
i assumed that you have a 6 speed. how about the tiptronic version?
Yes mine's a 6sp. Obviously the Tips and PDKs won't have a clutch switch. Ignition switch electronics seem to be another problem area that pops up. That should throw a code however.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:47 PM
Mdnyte
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogdoc
Hey, I see this is a relatively new post. I’m having a similar problem with my 2009 997tt cab. Key fob unlocks the door, I get in and insert key and.....nothing. No bells, clicks or dash lights. I can operate anything that doesn’t require the key insertion such as seat adjustment abd radio but windows and top won’t operate. Also interesting that driver’s side window us permanently 2 inches down and steering wheel lock is disengaged.
So, I replaced: battery, ignition switch, both clutch switches and I tried both keys. I can’t use my scanner because it needs the ignition to be on.
I’m at a loss. I’m wondering what your issue ended up being.
Thanks
Seem to be having the same issue, so clutch switch?
Old 06-09-2021, 09:59 AM
Dogdoc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had it trucked over to the dealership where they programmed a new set of keys. That solved the problem. I still have no idea what actually was the issue to begin with.

Quick Reply: 997 Won't Start Full Power Loss when turning ignition key.