Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 997 Buying opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:03 AM
bangsters
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think at that price it is a steal. Was looking online and didn't find a decent 997 at that price.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:44 AM
gtvr6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default At that price it's a steal. I would consider a PPI though

Just to make sure nothing is hiding. The price the car seems a little too good. Maybe she doesn't want to deal with people but considering the cost of a new motor, a PPI with bore scope wouldn't be the end of the world.

As of the shift **** it looks pretty bad. If you're a DIY guy, you can dye it and match it. I used the kit (link below) on my airbag last year because it looked bad, felt sticky and I did not want to pay for a new one. I used this kit and it looks really good and feels nice. This year I noticed some wear on my shift **** (no where near what that shift **** looks like) and tried it and it looks great.

Again, it's just a thought.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Wow, that interior is nasty, but basic on your seat test, should clean up. Is the upper side bolster on the driver's side worn through in a couple spots, or is that light coning through the window the makes ir look like that? Carpet on the door panel is dirty, shift **** and handbrake are worn quite a bit, there's a spot on the drivers side door panel, probably where her elbow rested when she drove. With an interior this ignored, the car definitely needs a full PPI to identify if there were mechanical and maintenance items also ignored, and then yikes have what looks to be a repainted fender too. The right front suspension and pick-up points should be checked very carefully.

This is the problem with having something given instead of earned. I bet if she earned the money to buy that car, it would have been better taken care of and not so nasty and worn inside.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:23 PM
stubble88
Racer

Dont know if this should be a deal breaker.

Last edited by stubble88; 02-19-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

No brainer .... Buy the car ...it's a good deal .... Not to worry about scoring IMS on that year very low percentage ....... You can always sell it and turn a little profit and enjoy it for awhile if you don't like it ...
Old 10-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by stubble88
The right front fender was hit while her father owned the car (about 6 years ago). No insurance claim was made. It looks like a decent job. No weird gaps. I don't see any over spray other than a dab on the gas cap cord.

Don't know if this should be a deal breaker.
I get it now. It used to be his and he gave it to her at some point. I don't think a fender repair & repaint is a deal breaker if the color match looks perfect and the paint seems to have a nice finish and is good quality. Do you know if the fender was repaired or replaced at the time - what you don't want is a fender full of body filler where it eventually shrinks and cracks. If it was a replacement fender that just had a skim coat so it could sanded smooth and the repair was done well, I'd be OK with it at that price.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:57 PM
stubble88
Racer

I did run a magnet around and it didn't seem to have any weak points. Ill run a paint meter on it. that should def find bondo if there is any.
thanks everyone
Old 10-29-2018, 03:04 PM
gtvr6
Advanced

Default I say buy it.

The repainted fender is not a deal breaker. It looks good and if not for that bit of spray on the gas cap, isn't noticeable. As for the IMS bearing, it has a relatively low failure rate on these - I know, you never know. You could say that about a lot of things in life. As for the bore scoring, I thought it was a bigger problem on the 3.8 models but again, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a beautiful color combination and needs a little work to bring her to perfection. If you go to Car Guru's, Auto Trader or any of your favorite sites - you will not find anything close to this at for this price. Buy it. Worst case scenario, you know car max would offer you $25k!
Old 10-29-2018, 07:23 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The right front fender was hit while her father owned the car (about 6 years ago). No insurance claim was made. It looks like a decent job. No weird gaps. I don't see any over spray other than a dab on the gas cap cord.

Dont know if this should be a deal breaker.
From your pics the color match look spot on. My picky meter goes up as the price of a car goes up. But at $26k I havent seen any major flaws in your new car (you will buy it because you would have to be crazy not to.) Cosmetic stuff doesnt scare me in the least because I have redyed leather a few times. Heck I even filled in a quarter sized hole in the side bolster on the wifes old jag. As long as you clean the leather properly and know how to use a spray paint can........easy peasy.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:24 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy it. at 26 it’s a steal!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:50 PM
stubble88
Racer

seems first gear is sometimes a bit tough to engage. Is that common? Maybe time for fluid change?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:20 PM
Ian Lochbihler
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What else can you get for 26k that's anywhere near as fun as this? Seems a steal.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:06 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

seems first gear is sometimes a bit tough to engage. Is that common? Maybe time for fluid change?
Yes. Its the cable ends in the shifter. They are made out of plastic and can flex. There are more than one company that makes metal ones for precise shifting. Note expensive IIRC.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:21 AM
stubble88
Racer

@Petza914
yes. Driver side bolsters starting to show wear on the edges.

Tgsnks!
Old 11-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

IMS: wouldn't worry about it in an '07 unless the car has a history of being tracked.

Bore scoring: affects all pre-'09's, 3.6L as well as 3.8L. My '05 3.6L had it. Cold climate may be a factor, but mine was never out of S. Florida. Bore scope through plug holes will not reveal it in early stages. You would need to drop the pan and look from the inside. Even that may not reveal it. With car warm and idling, listen near driver's rear wheel well for a ticking sound slower than the rpm's. Sounds like a lifter but it's not, it's actually piston slap. Piston skirts are first place to be affected, then progresses to score the cylinder bores.

Leather interior: Can be re-dyed, will look great for a while, but won't last as long as factory finish. Application of a matte clear coat after the dye helps, and NEVER use any cleaner with petroleum distillates or acohol or "grease cutter" on dyed areas, just a damp cloth and at most some mild soap like Ivory. Beige will be very hard to color-blend a panel such as a bolster, as it will have darkened from factory spec. Black is the only color you can blend invisibly. I swapped my steering wheel, shifter and e-brake for black ones.

Respray: These are not collectors items. If it's just a spray, and a good one, it wouldn't stop me. I've had to have most of my resprayed because FL sun killed the clear coat. Bought the car to drive, not keep stored away.

Final Verdict: You're like $5K ahead on repairs, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. To drive, not as an investment. It's going to depreciate.

Quick Reply: 2007 997 Buying opportunity