Sponsored by:

Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:24 PM
John Lachut
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice

I am very confident this has been asked before, but I’ve just spent the last two hours searching and browsing here and haven’t found what I’m looking for.

I’ve been a 911 fan for 30 years and finally am I a place where I can entertain buying one. The 997’s seem to check all the boxes of what I’m looking for and in the price range I’m looking at. I was hoping the forum can enlighten me with what to look for, what to avoid, what to expect at what mileage, and general knowledge.

What I’m looking for is a 2006-7 Cabriolet, preferably C2S but will entertain non-S or C4 as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

1. What's your budget?
2. Buy Excellence Magazine's Porsche Buyer's Guide ($14.95) and read up on the 997.
3. View YouTube videos on the 997. There's a good variety.
4. Look at For Sale cars this forum.
5. Join PCA on the Test Drive membership. That'll give you contact access to members with cars for sale. IMO you're much better off buying from an enthusiast owner.
6. Autotrader and Cars.com for listings there. I don't recommend Craigslist.
7. Are you willing to go nationwide in your search?

Look at and drive as many cars as you can reasonably. Porsches are no different that any other car or piece of machinery. These cars are very sound and reliable provided they've been maintained properly. If neglected you're in for catch-up maintenance, some of which may be expensive. Good luck with your hunt.

Last edited by swingwing; 10-19-2018 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Changed wording.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I found this informative when I was looking:
https://axleaddict.com/auto-sales/Pu...-a-997-Porsche
Old 10-20-2018, 02:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Budget and willingness to search nationwide or not? Impossible to advice you without that.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:24 AM
John Lachut
3rd Gear

Thanks guys. My budget is less than 50k and I am willing to go nationwide. But, I’m not at that point yet.

What I’m looking for is known issues. For example, the IMS bearing needs to be replaced at x miles, the roofs are known to fall apart after 10 years, etc.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:05 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

On a $50K budget, look for a manual 09 and newer. Cabs trade at lower prices than coupes. Buy one around $45K and have $4-5K leftover to sort the car out. Winter months also allow better buying opportunities up north although not as many cars are for sale out of season.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:32 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

For 50k you are in 997.2 territory. They will be higher mileage, but there will be no IMS issues and rare bore scoring issue (mostly from colder weather cars) Those are both really expensive repairs, 15-20k. The 997.2 does have its share of high pressure fuel pump issues, but that is a 2k fix max. Some have run their 997.1 with no issues for long periods of time maybe they will have issues maybe they won’t. Depends on the level of risk you are willing to accept. The radio display is dated on both models, but more so on the 997.1 as you would imagine. We really need to know more about what you are wanting and what you will be using the car for. Daily driving, racing, garage Queen, weekend? Good cars go fast so have your cash in a liquid form. You will be lucky if you have more than a couple days once it is posted online. Best advice is to purchase the newest one you can find and drive some so you know what options you want or don’t want. Turo is a great way to drive someone else’s car to see what you want if you don’t yet have Porsche friends. Join PCA and go to a meet and greet before it gets too cold and you will see a lot of what you may or may not want, plus a lot of great people. A Porsche enthusiast will take better care of a car than most and is a good bet. All maintenance records is helpful, but does not exempt you from doing a PPI. Do it no matter what anyone says. Take advantage of looking everywhere. Flights are so cheap and driving mine back from California to Texas was a blast. Just know that you probably won’t find a bargain. Don’t be surprised to give exactly what they want or even more. If it really is as nice of a car that they said you can bet others will be looking at it too. Porsche cars are expensive to fix and if it is not exactly in the condition and options you want, walk away.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:55 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,429 Likes on 2,702 Posts

If you want an automatic, I would suggest a car like this----> 2006 997 C4 Cabriolet - Silver/black w/81K miles. C4 body style(widebody) much nicer.
Seller is asking $31K and it has been serviced by reputable P-car Indy Chris's German Auto here in Seattle - Looks nice and clean ---->Probably grind him down to $28,000 since winter is upon us.
I have no affiliation just saw ad yesterday and felt it a good deal for someone looking for an auto trans cab and it's a C4:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/2006-porsche-997-c4-cabriolet/6704967886.html

Old 10-20-2018, 01:43 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My only advice is dont settle. Take the time it take to find the exact car you have in your head. When you do find it, run a car fax that minute (IIRC when you sign up for carfax you get 5 checks). Make the call and set up a PPI. Instruct the people doing the PPI that you want a full system check, paint depth, bore scope and check for any rust if its coming from a state that uses chemical to de ice roads.

Most 997's are black, grey or silver. If this is your choice of color, you are in luck.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Mdmfan
8th Gear

What is the importance/issue with paint depth? Thank you
Old 10-20-2018, 04:41 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdmfan
What is the importance/issue with paint depth? Thank you
Factory paint has relative uniform thickness because a robot shoots the paint. Thick/thin spots are indicative of either repainted panels (wreck) or over cutting the clear coat during detail buffing. If the clear coat is super thin, you might not be able to get it back to shiny. Hope this answers the question.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Mdmfan
8th Gear

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Factory paint has relative uniform thickness because a robot shoots the paint. Thick/thin spots are indicative of either repainted panels (wreck) or over cutting the clear coat during detail buffing. If the clear coat is super thin, you might not be able to get it back to shiny. Hope this answers the question.
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2018, 11:49 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

theres alot more to worry about than paint. if it looks perfect who cares. Would you prefer to buy a car that needs a paint job? You need to know if its had wrecks, have a good inspection and car fax and search service history at porsche.
Look at 09 + 997.2 cars
Old 10-21-2018, 02:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
For 50k you are in 997.2 territory. They will be higher mileage, but there will be no IMS issues and rare bore scoring issue (mostly from colder weather cars) Those are both really expensive repairs, 15-20k. The 997.2 does have its share of high pressure fuel pump issues, but that is a 2k fix max.

Not sure if this is related to MY or applies to all .2 cars but my HPFP failed recently on my -11 GTS and was replaced at no cost as a recall item.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Welcome. 50k should get you a very nice 997.2 cab you can enjoy and not worrry about. The 997,2 are as reliable as any other German made car. The Tiptronic automatic doesn’t get a lot of loving. Some people think it is just fine others just don’t like it. The PDK on the other hand is simply fantastic, fast crisp shifts that feel almost immediate. The only downside of the PDK is it is not serviceable if it fails it has to be replaced as I understand it at this time. But again they are are as reliable as any other German car’s transaxle . Porsche’s manual is world class. I have never enjoyed a manual more. Some people like to add a short **** kit that makes the throw of the shift even shorter and sportier. It is easily serviceable and a new clutch and bearings although no fun to pay for are not a overwhelming repair cost, but there is the ever present Porsche tax associated with any thing Porsche. If you are driving frequently in traffic the PDK may be a better choice in the long run. Porsche has quite a few different seat options and depending on you size, age, shape and weight the different seats are going to feel more or less comfortable to you. The 997.2 was the last Porsche to have hydraulic assisted steering. Which most drivers will agree has a more familiar road feel compared to the next generation 991s electric steering assist. Not to contradict a fellow Reenlister but I believe the 997.2 were actually the last Porsche’s to be hand sprayed before transitioning to the automated paint facilities. Take your time, drive as many as you can and never buy one before having a complete PPI inspection. Cheers and you mileage will vary.

Quick Reply: Buying advice