Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

DD through winter including mountain blizzard conditions. Dedicated winter wheels and tires. I've taken damage a couple of times due to low clearance but minor stuff. Never had a control issue but it doesn't feel planted when it gets deep. I attribute that to the staggered setup. It just means I have to drive a little slower, like a normal person. Xpel on the whole front but the windshield takes a beating since we use sand as well as salt and mag-chloride in Colorado. I'll powerwash the crud when I get the chance but it gets dirty. I figure Italians are the shiny garage queens and Germans are for the road.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Cramp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All year DD'er here - NE Indiana.. So, it doesn't get too crazy here but enough to warrant snow tires. Snow tires transform any car but I've honestly never had a car that did better in the snow than my C4S. It's essentially what my B8 S4 and '11 STi wanted to be but couldn't because of their weight issues (and more).
Old 10-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by 140.6er
Bruce, how do you protect your paint in the winter? I’ve been reading a lot about paint coatings, specifically the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating. In the past I went with either a paint sealant underneath a Carnauba wax or just wax. Considering the paint coating but looks like a lot of prep work. Probably stay with the Wolfgang or Klass paint sealant and some DoDo wax.

1 - Protection is crap, just trying to sell you stuff and prey on the weak. 2 - Of course protect it.

In short, I try and put a nice coat of Carnauba wax after my last wash of the fall (I use Mother's because it is easy, good, and does not contain any oils that make it look shiny but lasts days before evaporating). I suspect the wax coating lasts maybe 30 days. Then I don't wash it until the 1st good day of spring and my hose unfroze. The wax evaporates and dissolves away despite claims IMO. I always use Zaino... a polymer, but I would never claim that to be a "protectant". Modern paints are pretty darn amazing..... I wash the car quite a bit, and about once a year, I polish the micro scratches out with my Porter Cable random orbital and use a mild abrasive, Meguires Ultimate Polish.... followed by Zaino. Some folk claim that this polishing will wear down the paint... burn the finish blah blah blah...... and you have to protect your paint with some expensive crap...... BS.

BTW, Zaino is stupid easy.... and again, I don't consider it a protectant at all. Even Sal Zaino says it is only a few molecules thick.

Below are a few pics of my 2000 Boxster S with 150K-175K miles on it after I just polished and then Zaino'd it. The paint is mostly original except for the front bumper, hood, and I suspect the front fenders from blending. Not only was this my only car, daily driver for 13 years and 197K miles, it was parked outside in Center City Philly with only the front half kinda parked under an overhang. It is from these experiences I have become.... "grizzled".

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-08-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:31 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

All true, plus you can’t burn or even wear down your clear coat with the PC Orbital. I’m a big fan of the PC Orbital. I use some Mothers products, good stuff. I really like the DoDo Juice products, they seem to stick to the paint a bit longer. Anyway, it’s probably a lot of advertising but I find it a bit therapeutic to spend time washing, claying, polishing, sealing and waxing the 997. BTW, your Boxster S looks amazing.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:25 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Yep, Michelin Alpins now on 18" Porsche rims ..... just drive it. My Boxster had some exhaust heat shield rot... would buzz.... but I got 197K on that chassis. Other that that, I can't point to any issue with salt. Regarding pot holes..... heck, these stupid kiddy fashion 19" wheels bend on freshly paved roads. No wheel should be larger than 17"... Porsche marketing folks spend too much time watching Fast and Furious - type movies.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Amen to that! I get the smallest, narrowest wheels I can fit on my car and some good snow tires; the narrower the footprint the better. Narrow tires cut into snow much better. I have been doing this with every car I've owned for over 50 years and I have never got stuck. The biggest problem I have in snow is traffic!
Old 10-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Regarding pot holes..... heck, these stupid kiddy fashion 19" wheels bend on freshly paved roads. No wheel should be larger than 17"... Porsche marketing folks spend too much time watching Fast and Furious - type movies.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Some of us higher HP guys need more braking than a 17" wheel will allow for, and a fully forged wheel made with US forgings like the Forgelines I run really don't bend when you hit a pothole - you might cut the tire, but the wheel usually holds up fine - ask me how I know. A cast wheel usually does not fare so well.

Quick Reply: 997 Daily Driver