997.2 Retrofitting Universal Audio Interface and Making Sense of it

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Ksgarcia
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Retrofitting Universal Audio Interface and Making Sense of it

Hi Everyone,

My 2009 997.2 did not come with Option 870, the Universal Audio Interface, and I am considering options to allow for an external media source like my phone to be connected and streamed through the PCM. I'd like to use this thread to summarize and discuss what I've learned so far, and hopefully learn a few things from the community. From what I've seen on this site and other forums, my options appear to be:
  1. Install the OEM Universal Audio Interface
  2. Install an aftermarket solution like the Tranzit Blu or Tranzit USB
  3. Use something like an FM modulator
My quick takeaway is that (1) is expensive but most integrated, (2) is less expensive but has only been completed and tested on 997.1 with PCM2.1 and not 997.2 with PCM3.0, and (3) least expensive but audio quality is likely poor.

From that, I decided that option 1 with the UAI was the least risky approach with the best sound quality, but I wanted to understand if there was a way to get the UAI functionality at a lower cost point. Starting with the dealer, parts and labor were quoted at a total of $1100 which was pretty much a non-starter for me. Considering I'm fairly handy, I started pricing out how much it would be if I bought the parts on my own, installed them myself, and then went to the dealer to get the right PCM codes flashed.

Tequipment part # (also part that is listed on Suncoast here)
  • 997 044 902 034 - Universal Audio Interface (price: $500+)
I am not really sure what is included in the Tequipment package, but when looking at the 997.2 Katalog (annotated image below), it consists of the following part numbers:
  • 997 642 465 00 01C - adaptor Multimedia interface, satin black (price ~$90)
  • 997 612 049 75 - connecting line, Multimedia interface, control part (price ~$65)
  • 999 073 429 01 - tapping screw, 4.2 x 25 (price ~$1)
  • 997 612 471 01 - connecting cable, iPOD (price ~$35)
  • TOTAL: $191
​​​​​​​This is such a huge discrepancy in price that I am immediately suspicious - are these really all I need the parts that I need to install the UAI on my own or is something missing? If yes, it seems like if I purchase these parts piecemeal, install these parts myself, and then go to the dealer to flash the right codes into the PCM, I'll be saving a significant amount of money.

Am I missing something obvious here? Would love to hear what others have done with their 997.2's to make this work.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

You are making one mistake here
in order to atttach a Bluetooth streamin adapter you need to Universal Audio interface
so it’s not an - or - it’s an - and -
why don’t you go the much better route of replacing that outdated PCM piece of junk with a 21 century aftermarket head unit
i did it and spent including all parts etc $500 on it
I love it, I now got Apple CarPlay and Bluetooth streaming and Pandora and Spotify and more
Old 10-07-2018, 06:06 PM
Ksgarcia
AutoX

Thanks. My original post is about what parts are needed for the Universal Audio Interface.

Although a new headunit could definitely be an option, I really don't like the look of any of them. Maybe I haven't been able to find the right one, but the aftermarket units that I've seen in 911's all look out of place with the rest of the interior, and I really can't stand this trend of removing volume ***** in place of touch sensitive sliders and buttons.

Plus since I have a BOSE system it seems that there is a bit more involved ($$) than just replacing the headunit.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:31 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I think one of the things that is priced into the kit, is the cost of enabling the software license in the head unit, so that it recognizes the audio interface. Your local dealer will need to hook the car up to a PIWIS to enable the input after it is physically installed. I think you'll get nailed for whatever your dealer charges in labor to enable the option on top of all of that.

Might check with your local dealer and see what they charge for the kit, installation and labor to install and enable it on the PIWIS. Sometimes these things aren't worth dinking with on your own. On the other hand, they may quote you something bonkers.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:53 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksgarcia
Thanks. My original post is about what parts are needed for the Universal Audio Interface.

Although a new headunit could definitely be an option, I really don't like the look of any of them. Maybe I haven't been able to find the right one, but the aftermarket units that I've seen in 911's all look out of place with the rest of the interior, and I really can't stand this trend of removing volume ***** in place of touch sensitive sliders and buttons.

Plus since I have a BOSE system it seems that there is a bit more involved ($$) than just replacing the headunit.
let’s check
Pioneer AVIC NEX1440 $350
MOST Interface Box $120
Amplified antenna adapter $15
2DIN mounting kit for 997 $50
Total $535 + tax

Bonus: backup camera $35
Old 10-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

My 09 Cayenne Turbo S has PCM 3 like your 997.2 and came with the Universal Audio interface. Keep in mind that this by itself will not key yiy stream Bluetooth - it gives you a 3.5mm audio in jack, a USB port, and an iPod port.

What I did was buy a Bluetooth adapter that does not include the BT calling profile (just the A2DP streaming profile) since the phone already connects to that for calls and it works well. I plug a short charging cable from it into the USB port and the 3.5mm jack in and when I get in the car, just turn it on and then can stream Pandora while Waze provides directions, alerts me to the police hideous, and other road hazards. Works perfectly

Old 10-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I just picked up a 2010 911 with the universal audio interface, unless I'm missing something (and I did read the manual) you can't bluetooth stream music via the Porsche interface. The bluetooth only works for phone calls.

I would say for the amount you probably have to pay to retrofit the universal audio interface, it's probably not worth it for the features you receive unless you have to have the Porsche OEM interface.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:42 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

If you add the iPod connector and a Bluetooth interface like the bovee to the OEM kit then you can A2DP stream and control and see the songs.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:41 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Are Indy garages able to install and get the universal audio interface working properly? I recently purchased this and am dreading to even ask for dealer quotes.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
Are Indy garages able to install and get the universal audio interface working properly? I recently purchased this and am dreading to even ask for dealer quotes.
As I understand it, it just plugs into sockets on the back of the head unit. I have read you do and don't need to "turn it on". Install it and see if it works. If not, than ask a dealer to enable it. I can't imagine that taking more than 15 minutes.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-20-2019, 06:37 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

If you don’t like aftermarket head units, do the oem aux input. Pick up the bovee 1000 unit that plugs into the 30 pin iPod connectors. Allows streaming of music, info and full control using the oem headunit. Will stream directions but not the map like apple carplay.

Love mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by kellen:
bradnic (09-05-2022), VT Blue (12-08-2020)
Old 04-20-2019, 10:25 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
As I understand it, it just plugs into sockets on the back of the head unit. I have read you do and don't need to "turn it on". Install it and see if it works. If not, than ask a dealer to enable it. I can't imagine that taking more than 15 minutes.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
By any chance does anyone have a DIY on how to pull out the pcm 3.0? Used search function and did not find anything.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:14 AM
lou-in-nj
Intermediate

I agree with Hatzenbach...
Here's what I did: https://rennlist.com/forums/audio-an...l-odyssey.html
I can control the audio stream from my phone, but I also run apps on the car stereo like Waze, Castbox, Torque, and I downloaded music from my Google Drive, it's got BlueTooth, WiFi, USB ports, satellite positioning for any mapping app you want to use, among other features and functions.
You will like being in the car a lot more with a new head unit. If this option is too expensive, just get an FM modulator until you can't stand the limited functionality any longer.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:02 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

I believe I have all the steps on how to retrofit the universal audio interface to pcm 3.0.

-Purchase universal audio interface. If you purchase it online (since it’s most likely cheaper there than in person at dealership), make sure to give them your vin #.
-Get the (online) dealership you purchased from (suncoast, sonnen, sunset, etc) to send an email to P Tech (Porsche) requesting an enable code for IPod (universal) Audio Interface using your order #, the part #, (and assuming vin #). That dealership you purchased from is the only dealership that can obtain the enable code from P tech. They should receive the enable code ~ 3 days later. This code will activate the option in your car, so when it is hooked up to the dealership’s computer, universal audio interface can be an option to turn on or off. Without this enable code, the installed universal audio interface will not work (yes I tried).

If you purchase universal audio interface from the dealership that will do the install, they can email P tech themselves ahead of time and get the codes for you. That will save the time, hassle, and confusion.

On that note I got my universal audio interface installed at Town Porsche in Englewood, NJ last weekend and was explained this. Very clean install, The Tech Mike did a great job, no loose panels or chipped console; they handled my sand beige alcantara pieces with care. But guess who is going back next weekend for it to be activated (no charge fortunately).

Also wanted to add that you don’t need to get it installed at the dealership. You just need the enable code via Ptech. It only takes 30 minutes for them to activate everything if it’s already installed and they have the enable code.
The following 2 users liked this post by GT2RSobsessed:
nkhalidi (06-27-2023), VT Blue (12-08-2020)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
I believe I have all the steps on how to retrofit the universal audio interface to pcm 3.0.

-Purchase universal audio interface. If you purchase it online (since it’s most likely cheaper there than in person at dealership), make sure to give them your vin #.
-Get the (online) dealership you purchased from (suncoast, sonnen, sunset, etc) to send an email to P Tech (Porsche) requesting an enable code for IPod (universal) Audio Interface using your order #, the part #, (and assuming vin #). That dealership you purchased from is the only dealership that can obtain the enable code from P tech. They should receive the enable code ~ 3 days later. This code will activate the option in your car, so when it is hooked up to the dealership’s computer, universal audio interface can be an option to turn on or off. Without this enable code, the installed universal audio interface will not work (yes I tried).

If you purchase universal audio interface from the dealership that will do the install, they can email P tech themselves ahead of time and get the codes for you. That will save the time, hassle, and confusion.

On that note I got my universal audio interface installed at Town Porsche in Englewood, NJ last weekend and was explained this. Very clean install, The Tech Mike did a great job, no loose panels or chipped console; they handled my sand beige alcantara pieces with care. But guess who is going back next weekend for it to be activated (no charge fortunately).

Also wanted to add that you don’t need to get it installed at the dealership. You just need the enable code via Ptech. It only takes 30 minutes for them to activate everything if it’s already installed and they have the enable code.
Thanx for that information. This is the first I heard that you have to "send away" for an activation code. I always thought the dealer can just enable it using their computer. Who is PTech?? Is this Porsche North America?

Great stuff.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: 997.2 Retrofitting Universal Audio Interface and Making Sense of it