Sponsored by:

Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:41 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Squeal

New to me Porsche seems to be making this squealing sound, you can hear it inside at idle / when stopped. Haven't really tested on cold starts, but has happened at operating temperatures multiple times. It made it 650 miles presumably making this noise the entire way so it must not mean eminent failure.

Any ideas? Concerns? Who cares just drive it?

Video is with my smartphone holding it over the closed engine cover.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Dripola
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year model? I would have it checked ASAP and not drive it. Could be AOS, could be IMS, water pump, could just be idler pulleys. In any event given the cost of an engine and that you could be damaging it by driving with this issue I’d get it checked.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,725 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Can you remove your oil fill cap with the engine running or is it being sucked down by vacuum where it's impossible to get off - that's an AOS test. If not that, remove your airbox and serpentine belt and spin and try to wobble each one if the pulleys by hand until you find the one that has play in it or doesn't rotate freely.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Sorry its 2010 997.2 S

Was going to call mechanic Monday and schedule a spark plug, etc change anyway. I will test the oil cap this morning and fiddle with the airbox, I saw a howto for the 997.2.

Thanks for the pointers, I appreciate it.

Last edited by Astraelraen; 10-07-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

On cold starts there is no squeal. Tried to take oil cap off and it comes off fine-ish?

If I let it sit and idle for 5 minutes or so I still don't get any squeal but taking the oil cap off seems to make it drop idle and run roughly. Also sounds like an air leak you can definitely hear air/vacuum/something.

I will likely ask dealer to take a look at it anyway.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
On cold starts there is no squeal. Tried to take oil cap off and it comes off fine-ish?

If I let it sit and idle for 5 minutes or so I still don't get any squeal but taking the oil cap off seems to make it drop idle and run roughly. Also sounds like an air leak you can definitely hear air/vacuum/something.

I will likely ask dealer to take a look at it anyway.
Just to confirm, you tried to remove it with the engine running, correct? If so, I don't think warm or cold should make much difference.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Just to confirm, you tried to remove it with the engine running, correct? If so, I don't think warm or cold should make much difference.
I didn't drive it today, I let it sit in the garage and idle for about 5 minutes. Since I've never taken an oil cap off a 911 I can't say if it was "difficult" to remove. I might have described it as feeling as if it was being sucked back on.

But​​​​But yes, I removed the cap while the engine was running and the revs dropped and it started running roughly until I put the oil cap back on
Old 10-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
I didn't drive it today, I let it sit in the garage and idle for about 5 minutes. Since I've never taken an oil cap off a 911 I can't say if it was "difficult" to remove. I might have described it as feeling as if it was being sucked back on.

But​​​​But yes, I removed the cap while the engine was running and the revs dropped and it started running roughly until I put the oil cap back on
You'd know if it was difficult. It would be almost impossible to remove it if you had an AOS issue. This means its probably a noisy pulley or bearing on the serpentine belt system. One other test would be to press the Eco button on the HVAC panel which will turn off the A/C compressor to eliminate another possible source (A/C compressor clutch or bearing).
Old 10-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
You'd know if it was difficult. It would be almost impossible to remove it if you had an AOS issue. This means its probably a noisy pulley or bearing on the serpentine belt system. One other test would be to press the Eco button on the HVAC panel which will turn off the A/C compressor to eliminate another possible source (A/C compressor clutch or bearing).
Thank you for the help! The morning temps are below 40 for most of this week so the 911 probably won't get driven much due to my work schedule. I will report back when I get any updates.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Maan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a very similar noise a few weeks ago. Dealer said belt tensioner is probably the cause so changed that at an Indy (wasn’t keeping tension). But noise happened again a week later and resolved on its own. CHanged the water pump and a pulley as I started getting a knock too on cold starts especially. No recurrence this far.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:49 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

This noise has actually gone away completely - as in I can't hear it anymore, which I find unusual. I've put about 800 miles on it since intially hearing the noise.

I am getting some catch up service work done, including check/change the belt in early November. I will probably have them check all the pulleys/tensioners while its there.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:29 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

I had the dealer do some service (spark plugs, replace serpentine belt, various other items) and they said they checked the pulleys for play while replacing the serpentine belt. I asked the service advisor and she said that none needed replaced.

I drove it this morning, the squeal is still there some days same as above video, I can hear it at idle/stoplights, some days cant hear it at all.

It's going to sit for a few months soon as the temperatures will dip too low to drive it here.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

Sounds like a pulley bearing to me, probably idler pulley. Keep in mind that everything that rotates back there rotates on bearings, so water pump, ac compressor and alternator bearing could also be the culprit.

An automotive stethoscope or just a long piece of metal can help you diagnose this. If it IS a bearing, you’ll know it when you find it with the stethoscope.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:51 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

That sounds like a tensioner pulley, you can hear it change tone as the tensioner moves. That or as others said AOS starting to go, that sounds crazy in some cases!!
Old 11-15-2018, 12:40 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like a bearing issue to me - tensioner pulley - or water pump perhaps?

Quick Reply: Squeal