Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Steering Wheel Swap...How to remove airbag? Plastic over release hole?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:00 PM
fat_louis
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 997.2 Steering Wheel Swap...How to remove airbag? Plastic over release hole?

Hello Everyone!

Finally took the plunge and got a 2012 Porsche 911 GTS Coupe. Will post pics when I get everything done to my taste.

So I am swapping a Multifunction PDK wheel in alcantara with a Sport Design PDK wheel in alcantara.
I read that you use a 4mm or so allen key and insert it in hole behind 6 o'clock spoke to pop out the airbag.
Both my installed MF steering wheel and Sport Design steering wheel have what looks like the outline of a hole where I presume you would insert the allen key, but it is covered in what looks like to be plastic.
Do I trim away the plastic or just jam the allen key into it and "break" through the plastic cover of the hole?
Or use a drill bit or hole punch of appropriate size to gain access?
I don't want to break anything that doesn't need to be broken.
It this is the correct hole why is the hole covered in plastic? Does Porsche not want you to remove airbag?

Thank you for your insights

Fat Louis

Do I have to puncture this round depression to pop the airbag out to do the steering wheel swap?

Last edited by fat_louis; 10-06-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: left out one detail
Old 10-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Yes you have to puncture it
Old 10-06-2018, 11:34 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

first you are going totake your keys way away from the car, across the house. I always remove the battery cables and let the car sit for a while. Some say its not necessary.
Push object in the hole and it pushes the wire lock off its hook
Old 10-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

I don't think that's the correct release, at least it wasn't on my .1 - maybe the round airbags are different. . I think you have to turn the wheel 90 degrees so it's no longer aligned with the steering column trim and access the holes from the back side, not the top or bottom side. There's a Boxster video on YouTube that's pretty good.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:28 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a video on this. You have to puncture the hole cutout. If you push the 4mm Allen hard enough, it will pop the cover. Once in, feel carefully straight up, and push firmly, it will release the airbag. Did it again last week to check my high horn only problem.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Steering Wheel Swap...How to remove airbag? Plastic over release hole?