Brake issue on my '11 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,592 Likes on 4,190 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Are you leaving your stability/traction control on?
That's a very astute question as the PSM will use the rear brakes a lot to tame the weight at the rear of the car, so even if you don't think you're using the brakes, the car might be and that could add a lot of extra heat into the fluid.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:18 PM
tarmacrdr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
That's a very astute question as the PSM will use the rear brakes a lot to tame the weight at the rear of the car, so even if you don't think you're using the brakes, the car might be and that could add a lot of extra heat into the fluid.
I agree "PSM on" will/may use more of the braking system, but the only variables between this session and others were the new pads, and the braking fluid change.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Brake cooling will help. I was boiling in my GTS in the last session or two of a 7 session day before going to GT3 fender liners and GT2 ducting. No fade all day now.
PSM being on will totally kill your fluid. Definitely turn it off and just take it a bit easier until tire temps are good and you're comfortable with how the car feels. It will kick in anyway if things get really out of hand.

great to hear more people tracking these cars. don't give up, you'll figure it out. this problem isn't too complicated but there are quite a few variables.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:50 PM
tarmacrdr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Brake cooling will help. I was boiling in my GTS in the last session or two of a 7 session day before going to GT3 fender liners and GT2 ducting. No fade all day now.
PSM being on will totally kill your fluid. Definitely turn it off and just take it a bit easier until tire temps are good and you're comfortable with how the car feels. It will kick in anyway if things get really out of hand.

great to hear more people tracking these cars. don't give up, you'll figure it out. this problem isn't too complicated but there are quite a few variables.

Interesting enough looking at your signature, my previous ride was an '06 E46 M3, and now '11 997.2 GTS.

Be sure of it, I do not give up tracking my car. Clarification on PSM needed: I was under the impression that if left off, you were on your own.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:23 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,385 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
depends how fast you're going and how hard the track is on brakes. Green or blue driver, probably fine.
In the Mustang, from D group (lowest) to B group (second highest) in our club ARPCA (sessions of two days each, 4 runs per day), for many years and 2X per season, plus intermediate and advanced at other sponsored and track conducted events, at Watkins Glen and Pitt Race, over 4 seasons, with very hard driving as I got better. With the 911, two Club sessions, B group, at Watkins Glen and Pitt Race, and one session, one day, 5 runs, advanced group (highest group for that event). Running as hard as I can, and against a lot of guys who trailer in vs. drive in like me with street gear (although I do have track wheels - the C4's with MSS on them on the 911). I always use fresh fluid, Motul 600 is the first choice. EBC YS are just as good for me as the Pagid 29's. The Pagids do grind the rotors more though. Regardless, with very aggressive driving and braking on track, I've never had fade with either system, and the Mustang brakes are generally crap - they performed just fine with Motul and EBC YS.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:55 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Is it possible that you are missing a heat shield between the pads and calipers? (I'm relatively new to this, but in other discussions I've read people mention small ceramic disks that are placed between the pads and pistons to prevent heat getting into the piston. I've also seen titanium heat shields that are placed between pads/pistons; again to prevent the heat from transferring from the pad to piston and boiling the fluid.)
Old 10-06-2018, 03:59 PM
drob23
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went off track once in my S4 after the ebc yellowstuff basically melted, corner worker ran out thinking my car was on fire. Granted that was before I upgraded to a BBK, but those pads seemed pretty sketchy to me, crumbled like coffee cake after the incident. I ran carbotech after that and Ferodo on my 911. I find it hard to believe you boiled fresh RBF660 after a single 15 minute session. Not sure how air would be in your lines beforehand, but I suppose something with the ABS pump is possible if you let air get in there (using the dry bleed method with a power bleeder and forgetting to refill the reservoir.

Last edited by drob23; 10-06-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake issue on my '11 GTS